Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Nabco

Default Succesful Radiator Drain

Hi guys, just successfully drained my radiator in Sister and refilled with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and antifreeze.

I know for most of you this is a pretty routine task but as a new Model A owner and a guy that has never worked on engines in my 57 years everytime I accomplish something on her it makes me feel great.

I wanted to change it out because I was not sure of how much antifreeze was in the radiator as the car has been in Florida for the last 28 years...my father-in-law was not 100% sure so thought better safe than sorry.

There was definetly antifreeze in what drained out because it felt a little slippery, it filled a 3 gallon bucket...one positive thing is I checked very closely for any sediment in what came out and it was 100% clean....I'm guessing that's a good thing.

Took her our for about a 10 mile drive, when I stopped for gas she spit out some coolent, from what I've read she was probably setting the correct level of, when I shut her off at home nothing else came out.

Thanks gentlemen,

Nick
Nabco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
sethkestenbaum

Default Re: Succesful Radiator Drain

Nick, well done. A little coolant out of the overflow is normal. The radiator is likely just "finding its level". This said, keep an eye on the loss and make certain you don't run the coolant below an appropriate level. Until you know it was just overfglow, you may want to drive with a small thing of distilled water in the car, "just in case" you decide to top things off. If you experienced a sense of pride with your changing of the coolant, wait until you do your own oil change, lubrication, pan drop, etc. It will be a grand rush.