Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
calvin amerson

Unhappy problems = questions

good morning all , nice day in southern louisana yesterday so I decided to take RedRyder out for a spin. filled radiator after sitting for the past 3 months, started fine,begin spitting and popping minor backfireing soon smoothed out backed out of shop ready to hit the road, problem #1 made it to the end of drive way, she died, dead battery, not enough rpm to enguage alternator, charged batt. away problem #2.short journey around the block everything fine, ok! now for something a little more taxing, down the road we go about 3 mi I noticed a popping , sound like an exhaust leak, home bound , after checking everything discovered exhaust leak on rear of #4. so being the hard head that I am got this idea that we hade a blown head gasket, so off came the head, not blown just an exhaust leak. problem #3 noticed that exhaust valves on #1-2-3 were a powerdery white,assumed to much heat checked plugs, normal, so what am I looking at guys do I have other problems or should I just clean it up, retime adjust the carb and pray for normalcy or should I look deeper , sorry no pics haven't mastered that skill as yet , one of you guys has an answer to these questions please lets hear form you.
calvin amerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
James Rogers

Default Re: problems = questions

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
Patrick L.

You made a lot of extra work for yourself didn't you. What the heck, we've all done it at some time.
Why not just put it back together. While fixing the exhaust leak, I'd recommend checking the valve lash while you're near there if it hasn't been done in awhile. Once the head is back on then a compression test can be done, even if just for peace of mind. Once the engine internals are OK, then its time to work to go to work on the operation problems, that is, if there are any.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i would now pull out some pistons drop the trans and rear end also. keep going till you find something
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
George Miller

number one rule. Do not take things apart until you have a good idea what is wrong. If it knocks short out the cylinders till the knock goes away or changes. Then you know what cylinders the knock comes from. If it stops check for a blue spark that will jump 1/8 of a inch, also check for gas flow. You can check for exhaust leak by spraying some marvel mystery oil in the carb, the smoke will show where it is leaking.
For every problem there is a way to check it before you take it apart. Take your time check it out and think about what it could be.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
tbirdtbird
BANNED

if it ain't broke, fix it until it is

if it ran OK before you put her away for winter then how much could really be wrong

put it back together and run it. You do not have a diagnosis. Prolly nothing wrong except stale fuel.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
jm29henry

What do you have to lose by replacing ex manifold gasket .Its cheep and easy to do at least try it and see how she runs. I bet she will be just fine she just missed spending time with you and just need a little love!!!!
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
Dick Deegan

Or, if it ain't broke fix it 'til it is!!
Dick Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #9
Brentwood Bob

Fix one thing at a time. diagnose the problem before you start. It is more fun to drive the car than look for things to go wrong. Enjoy the car. Your earned it. Bob
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Deegan View Post
Or, if it ain't broke fix it 'til it is!!
haha I already said that...
Old 02-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #11
ford3

tan or white exhaust valves is ok, that means there not leaking, its when they are black that you have trouble, either burnt ot engine running to rich, you said the plugs looked good so i dont think its a fuel problem, you have an altenator on it , if your using a one wire alt it has to be wound up to 1000 or 1200 rpm to excite it, if its a one wire change alt to the 3 wire internally regulated one, they charge at idle, the 3 wire really for all practical purposes has only 2 wires, one from the ignition switch to exicite the alt, and one going to battery, the better way to go

Last edited by ford3; 02-23-2014 at 01:11 PM.
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
J Franklin

Clean it up, lap the valves, check the clearances and check the planes with a straight edge. bolt it back together with new gaskets do not over-tighten the manifold nuts ( I like 35#). go for a ride.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:41 PM   #13
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
haha I already said that...
And I think he already did.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote