Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
1930artdeco

Default cross shaft bushings

I am in the process of rebuilding my entire brake system apparently. So I was poking around and I noticed that the brake cross shaft moves up and down and for and aft. After researching here and in Les Andrew's book I learned that it should not do that. I also learned that to replace the bushings correctly I need to drill out the pins, remove the arms replace bushings and reinstall arms with new pins.

I also read that some people have used the new split bushings to good effect. My questions is can someone tell me how to get the old ones off to install the new ones? Which grease/graphite should I use? Are the split bushings the same as the original style? And if not can I get an original bushing and cut it in half and use it like a split bushing?

Thanks a bunch,

Mike
Old 02-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: cross shaft bushings

A Dremel with a thin cutoff wheel will slice the old bushing. I've used the split bushings and they work well. I use Mystik JT-6 High Temp grease on this and about everything that gets greased. I wouldn't drill holes to install grease zerks like some have, but a squirt of oil will keep it lubed in the future.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
Kevin in NJ

Split bushings can do the job. The shaft must not be worn. Unworn shafts are more common then you might believe. I have several, one with original bushings that I consider useable with minor wear. Keep in mind a small amount of wear here is ok, they do not have to be perfectly tight. They might rattle some, but it will not adversely affect braking.

The issue is that they use grease and you must understand that it can get stiff.

The original bushings I believe were graphite impregnated fabric. This prevented rattling and did not use grease. The OD was a ball so it could swivel as the frame flexed. The idea is to prevent a bind in the bushing.

So that grease fitting the Ford forgot was purposefully not needed or desired.

The brass bushing will do the job as long as your keep aware of the downsides.

Taking the ends off are not hard. I used markers to help me keep my drilling straight. I eyeballed the center of the rivet from the end and the side. You get most of the way through and use a long punch and they come out without much trouble. I set the new rivet with my very very large vice that has a 2 foot handle.

FWIW, the 31 style E brake cross shaft uses the same bushings.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
Herb Concord Ca

Hi Mike, this was the second thing I did to my Model A in 1992. I removed the cross shaft and used a hacksaw to cut diagonally across the old bushings, didn't own a Dremel as Tom W. suggested to use.
The shaft was in good condition cleaned the bushing surface and installed nylon split bushings have worked great since then. I don't remember if I greased them before I installed them, but today I would.
Regards,
herb
Herb Concord Ca is online now   Reply With Quote