Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
Barber31

Default Almost running right

With y'all's help I did work out some of the problems I was having and she's almost running right again. Right now she sounds like she just needs something tweaked just a little bit. At start up, she has a heavy galloping sound which kinda leans out when I advance the spark but its still noticeably there. Also the plugs get fouled really fast and I already have the gav barely open. So what suggestions would y'all give me? Adjust the carb some? This last time I cranked her up I pulled the spark lever almost to the bottom and it sounded like the galloping went away but the garage was starting to fume up so I'm gonna give it a while before I mess with it again. Thanks.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Almost running right

zenith carb?
Old 02-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
QGolden

I realize you have asked questions in other threads and made some progress, but it would help if you mentioned what you have done so far. Are you very sure your timing is right on, and your points set to the proper gap? A lot of carbs get adjusted out of spec chasing electrical issues.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
jm29henry

great to walk away when things are not going well .The next time you go out re check your timing /then take the GAV that's the carb nob on the dash turn it clock wise all the way until it stops .then turn it 1/4 turn to the left or counter clock wise ,make sure spark is advanced all the way up when you start it up .then when it starts up advance spark lever down to about the middle LET THE CAR WARM UP FOR A FEW A LITTLE WHILE .Ifit is not running good turn the GAV out to the left if it is running lean or if it is running rich turn the GAV clockwise to the right hope this helps Joe!!!!
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
Barber31

Well so far I've checked the timing which was good. Pulled the oil pan to check the one rod that had shims to make sure everything was still in place. I felt better seeing that all was still good down under. While I was down there I verified that both timing marks were still lined up and no teeth were chipped or anything. Then with y'all's help I moved to the ignition electricals. Since I was needing spares for a second engine anyway I went ahead and bought another coil and distributor. After inspecting my old dizzy I found the bushings to be worn and was hoping that was the culprit affecting the points. So popped in the new distributor with a new condensor/points from napa re gapped all plugs points sprayed a lil starting fluid and hand cranked her right up. The rotor was shooting off blu/purple arcs and from what I've read here that's good. So that's pretty much it. My last resort was to strip the carb and see how things looked inside but thought I'd get y'all's opinions first.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
Barber31

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The things I Havnt checked are the compression, waiting to get the adapter.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
Tudortomnz

Have you adjusted the air mixture [ idle] screw on the carb if it is a Zenith?
Turn it in or out until the engine idles smoothly when warmed. It will ''lope'' if too rich or lean. Your ''GAV'' should be about 1/4 turn open when you are doing this.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #8
Barber31

It is a zenith. I thought I included that tidbit earlier, Sorry. I did adjust it before but I will redo it again.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

if adjusting the carb does not work, rebuild it with a set of flow tested jets from renners corner
http://rennerscorner.com/carburetor.html
and a viton float valve. also make sure your float is not worn or heavy
use this site as your guide http://www.modela.org

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-08-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:48 PM   #10
Barber31

Thank you sir for that info.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:56 PM   #11
Gary WA

Your GAV knob may be turning but not the rod? Just a thought. and check the air mixture screw approx 1 1/2 turns from closed position to start out with.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:04 AM   #12
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Mitch is right on. Sounds rich to me. Not all GAVs are gonna be the same. Try with it fully closed after it warms up.
There are a bunch of good folks in the Alamo As which is in your backyard, I am sure someone from there would be willing to help you
Old 02-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

The GAV will NOT affect your idle mixture IF your idle speed is nice & LOW, as it should be!
Bill W.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #14
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm29henry View Post
great to walk away when things are not going well .The next time you go out re check your timing /then take the GAV that's the carb nob on the dash turn it clock wise all the way until it stops .then turn it 1/4 turn to the left or counter clock wise ,make sure spark is advanced all the way up when you start it up .then when it starts up advance spark lever down to about the middle LET THE CAR WARM UP FOR A FEW A LITTLE WHILE .Ifit is not running good turn the GAV out to the left if it is running lean or if it is running rich turn the GAV clockwise to the right hope this helps Joe!!!!
I'm pretty sure you mean retarded all the way up when you start it. Then advance it when it fires and find the sweet spot for the spark lever. Never run the car with the spark fully retarded.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #15
Barber31

Well, y'all did it again. It's running good enough to get me down the road again. After adjusting the carb it smoothed out. I'm pretty sure now it was a culmination of the distributor being all out of wack and the misadjusted carb. I did notice something else while I was working on everything, with the car off and the key in the on position when I had the spark lever up the amp meter read 0 but when I advanced it it would register discharge. Would I be correct in thinking the lever being moved is opening the points and causing it to read discharge? Anyhow, thanks so much to everybody that pitched in thier help. I'm really grateful to have such a great place to turn to for help. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

You're close, but it's when the points close that the meter reads discharge.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #17
Barber31

Ewww, soo close.