Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
36Jim

Default "A" gas ration

Got my "A" type gas ration sticker the other day. Where's the correct place to position it on my 36's windshield?
36Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Joe KCMO

Default Re: "A" gas ration

Lower right hand corner (passenger side) of the windshield. Do you also have the card. No card No gas!!!

j450_weegee_in_shock.jpg

Last edited by Joe KCMO; 11-30-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Joe KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

And I thought I was old...
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
4dFord/SC

I think it varied by state, but the lower right corner of the windshield was apparently the most common location (that's where I have mine).
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
Labold

You usually see them in the lower right corner of the windshield but I believe they are supposed to be mounted on the window nearest the tank fill.
Labold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
BobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36Jim View Post
Got my "A" type gas ration sticker the other day. Where's the correct place to position it on my 36's windshield?
How do I get one of these stickers?
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
bobH

try google... I found them on the net, printed my own, messed with them a little bit to make them look old & worn, tore off a little jagged corner (or two), stuck them on, and it looks like they've been there 'forever'. Never mind that one of my cars is a 47 & would never have had one. No one has ever questioned it in the 8-10 years I've had it.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
36Jim

I got mine at http://inspectionsticker.net He has all kinds of neat stickers.
36Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
try google... I found them on the net, printed my own, messed with them a little bit to make them look old & worn, tore off a little jagged corner (or two), stuck them on, and it looks like they've been there 'forever'. Never mind that one of my cars is a 47 & would never have had one. No one has ever questioned it in the 8-10 years I've had it.
Thats pretty funny, how many people today, unless you lived during the war years, even know they had rationing & gas ration stamps? Also, can you imgaine if the population in this day and age was told they had to ration gas and other items? I think some folks would fall over dead.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
flathead4rd

We didn't have a car so my parents traded the gas stamps for other stamps that were needed to buy certain other commodities. I think butter was one of them. Remember buying margarine (which was white) and adding a package of yellow powder to it to make it look right. Now I'm giving away my age. LOL
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #11
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Thats pretty funny, how many people today, unless you lived during the war years, even know they had rationing & gas ration stamps? Also, can you imgaine if the population in this day and age was told they had to ration gas and other items? I think some folks would fall over dead.
Although I was only a toddler, I remember my family saving tin cans, tinfoil, cooking grease, etc. for the war effort. People were also asked to turn in their spare tires due to the shortage of rubber. Dad was an airline pilot and thus qualified for one of the coveted "C" gas ration stickers.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dFord/SC View Post
Although I was only a toddler, I remember my family saving tin cans, tinfoil, cooking grease, etc. for the war effort. People were also asked to turn in their spare tires due to the shortage of rubber. Dad was an airline pilot and thus qualified for one of the coveted "C" gas ration stickers.
I'm 31 now and my grandfather has passed on but I remember him telling me about all the rationing and scrap rubber and metal deives that took place.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
Joe KCMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
How soon we forget. We had rationing in 1974 and again in 1978. Odd and even days and limits on how much you could buy. And Yes I for one was not a happy camper.
Joe KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #14
fordman

When WW II broke out and my four older brothers entered the war effort, my dad told us 'that old '36 Ford pickup will not roll a tire until the war is over and God will bring my boys home'. toward the end of the war, my next older brother got old enough and joined the army.
when people tried to talk/buy from dad the ration stamps for tires and gasoline, he said 'I can't sell those to you, my boys need the gasoline and tires overseas.'

My oldest brother was in Normandy and Battle of the Bulge, one in Gasoline tanker at Normandy, one in marines at Iwogima, one in air force on the ground stateside, one in the army stateside. They all came home safely.

Thank you Jesus,

Fordman

I was in the Texas State Guard (not National Guard) because I was not old enough to join the army. After the war, one of my brother handed me a piece of paper and said, 'Sign this! you are joining the the National Guard'. I said I'm not old enough. He said you are with Dad's approval. I questioned, What if he does not sign it? He said, He already signed it!
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #15
blucar

My father owned a gas station during WWII which was the last station heading out of Salt Lake City, UT towards the SLC airport and points west.. The SLC airport had been taken over by the US Army Air Corps so dad had a lot of GI customers, most of which had plenty of gasoline stamps because many of the training sites were located out in the desert areas to the west of SLC..
At the time the state of Utah had very strict liqueur laws which required a person to have a State liqueur license, a non-resident of the state could not get such a license, this meant that the military people were stuck with Mormon beer... 3.2% ..
My father was a very cleaver person, he had his Mormon customers get liqueur licenses with which they then purchased the monthly ration of whiskey. The whiskey was traded to my father for gas stamps, the whiskey was then traded to the servicemen for gas stamps..
The enterprise was slightly illegal, however, everyone got what they wanted.... I spent hours sitting in the small 12' x 12' office pasting stamps onto 8 x 11 sheets, which dad had to turn in every time he got a fuel delivery.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #16
cmbrucew

Interesting stories.
I remember seeing ration stamps as a child.
Wish I had saved them.
Bruce

Works good
Lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #17
Lawrie

We had a simular setup in New Zealand in the 70,s in the fuel crissis
It was called carless days.
You had to alocate one day a week you could not use your car,the relivant day decal was stuck on the windscreen next to the rego sticker.a different colour for each day.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #18
Clem Clement

I remember how my folks struggled with feeding the family. Mother came home sniffling one day. Someone had come out of the ACME and dropped a 5 pound bag of sugar in the street. I think she would have gone back after dark to scrape it up. Another day she can up from the basement singing loudly as she found a can of sugar she had forgotten. But we all had tough times and we made it thru.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #19
Kurt in NJ

The original 39 Ford we used to have that had it's original sticker had it in the back window on the side nearest the filler neck, a convertable rear window I bought has a "B" sticker in it, the glass has a 1939 date
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #20
46fordnut

so i guess with this said we are due for gas rationing again? it seem to happen every few century's. i do remember the gas crunch i the 70's my dad at that point had a 1970 olds that was not the best car to have with the reserve low as it was. he just before that had a 1965 Buick. i guess my 46 ford would of had one of those "a" cards too?