Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
philipswanson

Default 40 Wagon Rear Slider Removal?

I am in the process of removing the R/H rear slider quarter window from my 40 wagon. I ordered a scripted one from Sanders glass. I removed the inside garnish rails from the wood frame but I am not sure what to do next?? Anybody done this before on the wagon? Does all the felt window channels have to come out?
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:49 PM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: 40 Wagon Rear Slider Removal?

You should remove the top double channel that runs down the curved metal piece that the lock loop in the handle protrudes through. You may need to remove the vertical metal piece that is at the front to get the top piece out. Are you putting in new channel or trying to save the old? If saving the old, you may be able to leave the front part of the top double channel intact and just twist it enough to get the inside piece of glass into it since the inside piece is the one with the curve at the back. I would try to insert the bottom edge into the channel and then work the top piece of channel onto the glass.

I installed all new channels with the new glass so it was fairly easy as I was putting in both pieces of glass. I used black trim adhesive to hold the new channel to the wood instead of small nails through the channel that my originals had.
Worst case you have to take it all out but I think you can get it in by bending the flange of the top channel enough to get the glass in. If you are replacing the outer piece of glass I think you need to take all the channel out. Good luck.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
Mtn Wudy

I tried to post a photo but .......
Anyway look for some small screws in lower channel ....
Remove them and see if channel will slide out ...
Spring both pains of glass to center ...
If the bottom channel is Loose glass and channel should come out at the same time.....
Old 12-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #4
deuce_roadster

Also, if you are putting in a new bottom channel notice there are drain holes in the wood that you need to punch holes in the channel to line up with. At least on my 40 it was this way.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:05 PM   #5
woodiewagon46

Good point deuce, I have drain holes on my '46 and a lot of people don't drill the holes and some don't even know they are there.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #6
philipswanson

Thanks guys! I am trying to save the channels because the car was restored some years ago but the rear glass was not scripted correctly like all the other glass. But if I need to, I have no problems replacing the channel if I have to. Hope it's available if I need to. Maybe Carpenter?
Old 12-14-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
woodiewagon46

Restoration Specialties and Supply, PN 3-J-4, 96" long.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
Thanks guys! I am trying to save the channels because the car was restored some years ago but the rear glass was not scripted correctly like all the other glass. But if I need to, I have no problems replacing the channel if I have to. Hope it's available if I need to. Maybe Carpenter?
You could make this easier on yourself and get a set of templates from Mike Driskell. They are very easy to use, work perfectly and can be done with the glass installed.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:53 PM   #9
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
You could make this easier on yourself and get a set of templates from Mike Driskell. They are very easy to use, work perfectly and can be done with the glass installed.
Problem with that is the old scripts on the glass are totally wrong and would have to be removed and they are acid etched. A new correct glass is under 100 bucks. All the other windows are perfect.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #10
philipswanson

I got the window out but the channel is not all that good so I ordered one from Restoration Specialties. Thanks for that tip. Do you have any hints for installation????

Thanks, Phil