Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2016, 12:53 PM   #41
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: What was it like to work on the auto assembly line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole39 View Post
i worked at deere harvester also for 38 years. mostly mig for 30. with .045 wire, we were timed by company time study at 440 i.p.m. 0.35 wire was 570 i.p.m. flux core was much slower, but dont remember those wire speeds.
I certainly won't argue with that. Then again, I've never looked at a Deere machine of any size to see just how nice and strong one of those 440"/minute welds looks. I'm trying really hard to understand the significance or logic (other than savin'-a-buck) of a human welding ANYTHING at such speed, yet expecting the best penetration and quality of welds for the end user. Did Deere X-ray or otherwise test these type of welds? Do Deere welders (YOU) hold any kind of certs? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #42
ole39

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
I certainly won't argue with that. Then again, I've never looked at a Deere machine of any size to see just how nice and strong one of those 440"/minute welds looks. I'm trying really hard to understand the significance or logic (other than savin'-a-buck) of a human welding ANYTHING at such speed, yet expecting the best penetration and quality of welds for the end user. Did Deere X-ray or otherwise test these type of welds? Do Deere welders (YOU) hold any kind of certs? DD
i really understand where your coming from, some guys welds looked like a piece of rope. i built combines, no x-rays, but at davenport works, (construction) they did some x-rays. certification? ha, yes, we were certified by deere. later in my carrer, we had to do a one week training course. pretty hard to flunk lol, anyway, after 30 years welding i was never called on bad welds, or breakage, just lucky i guess, the shop that welded our fixtures used 200-220 i.p.m
ole39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:17 PM   #43
325w

V8 we were the first robots. Then they made robots from metal!
325w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #44
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
i really understand where your coming from, some guys welds looked like a piece of rope. i built combines, no x-rays, but at davenport works, (construction) they did some x-rays. certification? ha, yes, we were certified by deere. later in my carrer, we had to do a one week training course. pretty hard to flunk lol, anyway, after 30 years welding i was never called on bad welds, or breakage, just lucky i guess, the shop that welded our fixtures used 200-220 i.p.m
Unlike anything coming from our queen of corruption, I really appreciate your succinct and honest answer. Sounds like you really earned a pleasant retirement. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:07 PM   #45
slowforty

The Book "Rivethead' by Ben Harper is available for $4.00 on Amazon with shipping.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:16 PM   #46
34fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
The Book "Rivethead' by Ben Harper is available for $4.00 on Amazon with shipping.
I just purchased a used one on Ebay for 3.97$ shipping included
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #47
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Charlie ny:
I don't think future generations will ever know, nor
will our (revisionist) history books ever report the total contribution
of "The Greatest Generation" you worked with. America is still today
an exceptional country.
Thanks for upholding your end of the bargain to this day.
I actually write history books. My books have been in print for over ten years and are popular with their intended audience, here and overseas. Since I am active in the field, I have a good idea of the market. And I have read many hundreds of history books.

So what "revisionist" books are you referring? The historians I know personally, and the others I don't know, base their work on good scholarship, deep-digging research and verifiable facts. We historians write what we can, but there is absolutely no way you can write about every single person's contribution in the Second World War.

Judging by the amount of WWII books on the market these days, it seems we are doing our level best to tell as many stories as we can. Not every story is great and not every story is suitable to be published and marketed. We historians have been reporting on the greatest generation for a good long time now. Maybe you need to read some more history books so you can be disabused of this false notion you have about historians and what they write about.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:25 PM   #48
G.M.

Quote:
i worked at deere harvester also for 38 years. mostly mig for 30. with .045 wire, we were timed by company time study at 440 i.p.m. 0.35 wire was 570 i.p.m. flux core was much slower, but dont remember those wire speeds.
Your probly right I only "stepped in" maybe a dozen times. It was .045
wire on the frames and the wire feeder had high speed gears with the
feed speed turned way up. I just moved my arm and hand at about the
speed I remember moving and came up with 360"s per minute. So I
would say doing it every day what you claim is true. The spool of wire
also turned pretty fast. I wonder how many lbs of welding wire was
deposited per hour?? G.M.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #49
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
..........I wonder how many lbs of welding wire was
I can't speak for other plants but at the GM Electro-Motive Division plant if I remember correctly mig wire came in large fiber (55 gallon?) drums. The locomotive under frames and crankcase weldments consumed lots of wire.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #50
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
I actually write history books. My books have been in print for over ten years and are popular with their intended audience, here and overseas. Since I am active in the field, I have a good idea of the market. And I have read many hundreds of history books.

So what "revisionist" books are you referring? The historians I know personally, and the others I don't know, base their work on good scholarship, deep-digging research and verifiable facts. We historians write what we can, but there is absolutely no way you can write about every single person's contribution in the Second World War.

Judging by the amount of WWII books on the market these days, it seems we are doing our level best to tell as many stories as we can. Not every story is great and not every story is suitable to be published and marketed. We historians have been reporting on the greatest generation for a good long time now. Maybe you need to read some more history books so you can be disabused of this false notion you have about historians and what they write about.
I am referring to the woeful lack of American history knowledge demonstrated by today's high school students. They seem to know very little and could care less. Makes me wonder just what content is being taught these days and the motives of the "historians" writing the textbooks.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #51
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I am referring to the woeful lack of American history knowledge demonstrated by today's high school students. They seem to know very little and could care less. Makes me wonder just what content is being taught these days and the motives of the "historians" writing the textbooks.

Mostly survey courses are taught--the basic framework of world and national history. You just can't teach serious, detailed WWII courses in grade school or high school. There is just not enough time in the day to teach individual WWII battles from 1939 to 1945. I was educated in the 60s and 70s--we were taught the basics. If a student wanted to learn more about WWII history, then he/she has to do what I did--visit a library and read books. There is no other way.

Students, then and now, need to learn the basics first. That way the individual stories of the veterans and homefront workers can be learned in context. When you are learning to fix cars, you learn the basics first. No one starts out working on Packards or V-16s. Same with history education. Basics are learned first. Then it is up to the student to pursue the avenues of history that are the most attractive to that student.

I agree that today's students--and many of yesterday's students-- are woefully ignorant of basic history. It is appalling. But the schools teach the basic frame work of world and national history. It is up to the student to pursue the details. And many -then and now- just don't give a care.

Can't fix stupid. Can't blame the schools. It starts at home.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:38 PM   #52
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber Mcgee View Post
They were right ,it just took time . Have you seen Greece lately.
Brilliant!!!
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:20 PM   #53
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Mostly survey courses are taught--the basic framework of world and national history. You just can't teach serious, detailed WWII courses in grade school or high school. There is just not enough time in the day to teach individual WWII battles from 1939 to 1945. I was educated in the 60s and 70s--we were taught the basics. If a student wanted to learn more about WWII history, then he/she has to do what I did--visit a library and read books. There is no other way.

Students, then and now, need to learn the basics first. That way the individual stories of the veterans and homefront workers can be learned in context. When you are learning to fix cars, you learn the basics first. No one starts out working on Packards or V-16s. Same with history education. Basics are learned first. Then it is up to the student to pursue the avenues of history that are the most attractive to that student.

I agree that today's students--and many of yesterday's students-- are woefully ignorant of basic history. It is appalling. But the schools teach the basic frame work of world and national history. It is up to the student to pursue the details. And many -then and now- just don't give a care.

Can't fix stupid. Can't blame the schools. It starts at home.
I concur completely.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:24 PM   #54
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
I can't speak for other plants but at the GM Electro-Motive Division plant if I remember correctly mig wire came in large fiber (55 gallon?) drums. The locomotive under frames and crankcase weldments consumed lots of wire.
I knew about the 55 gallon drums of wire but never used them.
I hate to think of a wire feeding problem in a drum. G.M.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:58 AM   #55
Randy in ca

Quote:
gm, you said 48 i.p.m, did you mean 480?
Quote:
ole39.........Do YOU know anyone that can weld 40 FEET of bead per minute? DD
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
Your probly right I only "stepped in" maybe a dozen times. It was .045
wire on the frames and the wire feeder had high speed gears with the
feed speed turned way up. I just moved my arm and hand at about the
speed I remember moving and came up with 360"s per minute. So I
would say doing it every day what you claim is true. The spool of wire
also turned pretty fast. I wonder how many lbs of welding wire was

I think the problem with the welding speed discussion here is that you guys are talking apples vs oranges - ole39 and G.M. (I think) are talking about the Wire-Feed Speed in inches per minute (i.p.m.) while CC is talking about the Travel (or work/welding) speed, which can vary significantly depending on the wire diameter, type of weld, etc... e.g. using 0.045 wire at a Wire Feed Speed of 400 i.p.m. might only result in a Travel (actual weld) Speed of maybe 15 i.p.m. for example. Clear as mud?
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:02 AM   #56
ole39

randy, actually that does make sense. just never heard it put that way. many times we were told we're not welders, just "iron pourers". i ran a 2 man job and ran at 440 i.p.m. my partner ran at 700 i.p.m, (gasp!) we got done at the same time! my personnel preference is stick, its slow, smokey and dirty, but love it!
ole39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:34 AM   #57
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in ca View Post
I think the problem with the welding speed discussion here is that you guys are talking apples vs oranges - ole39 and G.M. (I think) are talking about the Wire-Feed Speed in inches per minute (i.p.m.) while CC is talking about the Travel (or work/welding) speed, which can vary significantly depending on the wire diameter, type of weld, etc... e.g. using 0.045 wire at a Wire Feed Speed of 400 i.p.m. might only result in a Travel (actual weld) Speed of maybe 15 i.p.m. for example. Clear as mud?
I know exactly what I'm talking about. And you could weld the same
speed with .035 wire as you can with .045 IF you can get enough wire
feed speed with the 035. The speed of the wire or wire diameter controls
how many amps you get. I also stick with welding speed on frames to be
400 inches of weld per minute or greater depending on operator experience
and configuration of the weld joint. G.M.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:46 AM   #58
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have ground down the welds on Ford wish bones on several occasions and it is really interesting! The one I have worked with have almost NO penetration, the welds are just laying on the surface. As you start to grid them down the seams will pop apart. Very eye opening. They are apparently good enough for normal use as I have never heard of a failure, but cleaning the welds up with a grinder is not a good plan unless you intend to re-weld the seams (which is what I have gone). You have to wonder how good some of these speed welds are? Good enough I guess, but not what I would consider a proper weld.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #59
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I to worked on the paint repair at inspection ,got to drive the new cars out for parking .Ted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
I work at the Lorain Assembly plant. I was a paint repairman in the final garage. We work 10 to 12 hours mostly 7 days a week. I only stayed 12 years then went in business for my self. I did miss it and the friends. Still keep in touch with some of them. Ford was very good to me. Gave me a good start in life for my family. I will will be always thankful because I had nothing when I went there.

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #60
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
I to worked on the paint repair at inspection ,got to drive the new cars out for parking .Ted
Ted....Thanks for getting this thread back on topic....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote