Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #1
41Joe

Default Flathead 226 H-Series

I posted this on the fordsix forum, but it doesn't seem like anyone is every on there for the vintage engine section. Now this is for the inline 6 flathead out of a 48 sedan.
I am not even close to getting my engine put back together, but one thing that I have been wondering is about the carb and distributor for the 226 H Series. I know this came with the Load-O-Matic distributor and needs the matched carburetor.
Will an Autolite 1100 from a 65 Mustang work. It does have the spark control valve and uses the load-o-matic.
I was also looking at the programmable MSD 6AL ignition box. For that you just need a trigger and it will figure the advance based on graphs the user inputs. So with this system what would be the advance curve?
What would be nice about the MSD is that you can keep the stock distributor but be able to run different carbs. I could run dual Strombergs or do a single two barrel. Or is there a different distributor that would work? It doesn't seem like there is that wouldn't require a lot of modification.
41Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
38 coupe

Default Re: Flathead 226 H-Series

The stock distributor really need the stock carburetor. If you must convert you can try to get a G series timing cover and machine the front of your cam for the earlier distributor. If you do seriously consider this you should take a lot of measurements of parts before starting since I don't know if it actually will work. You cannot use the G series cam in the H since the oil pump is driven off the center of the cam in the H motor.

I'd look around for an M series motor, install a milled H head, and use the stock carb and distributor.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:51 PM   #3
Newc

Hi all; The M eng's were often in dump trucks F6 49-51. California Bill's hop-up book has a chapter on them. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #4
Henry Floored

I have an H that's patiently waiting it's turn.
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:36 PM   #5
rotorwrench

If you use later model carb components, you may consider modifying a later type 6-cylinder distributor that has a vacuum and centrifugal advance systems built in. They can be tuned to work with the flathead 226 to give best performance & economy by use of proper advance control springs and an adjustable vacuum can connected to a manifold air pressure port tapped into the intake manifold. This would give you the best of both worlds like the Chevy or older Mopar distributors do with the flathead V8. It would take trial and error to get it set up but would be your best bet. If the old G type distributor could be adapted, it would be very easy to get set up but I don't know if it's possible. You would have to find someone that has done it to be sure.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:56 PM   #6
41Joe

Are you talking about a distributor from a 200 motor? I thought about that because they look like they would have the same rotation. I guess it's just the fabrication of adapting that I don't have the ability to do.
41Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:00 AM   #7
rotorwrench

You might contact Bubba or one of the other guys that does distributor mods. It would be different than the V8 but not a lot. The distributor bodies can be cut down and the gear replaced/relocated if necessary. I'd look for something that is already about the same length, stem diameter, and rotation to save on mod time. Might be from a Chevy 292 or something but if it works, who cares what brand.

Those old flat 6 engines were torquey sumbeaches. It might be worth the effort. Either that or convert in to V8.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote