Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2020, 05:28 PM   #1
Dusty12682

Default Spare Parts Speedster

Well with over 20 years of collecting, I finally have enough parts to build a T speedster/race car. I have a 16/17 unused (never installed in a car) Canadian block, 17-27 front axle, 17-25 rear axle, radiator, two sets of quarter elliptical springs, 2/3 of a T frame, and other misc parts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Dusty12682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:32 PM   #2
Dusty12682

Default Re: Spare Parts Speedster

Also, if anyone has technical knowledge, or wishes to donate parts, I'm always open to help. I don't have much, but I am willing to learn and will accept help of any kind. This isn't the first T I've worked on (father has had T's for years), its just my first T build from parts.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
rotorwrench

You have a pretty good parts pile there. Welcome to the barn. Things aren't as busy here on the T side but there are quite a few folks that keep an eye on it to see what's going on. There is plenty of knowledge here abouts. You can't pick a much simpler car to build. Ts can be a lot of fun too. I passed a fellow yesterday here in San Antonio that was out for a Sunday drive in an early 20s touring car.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
Dusty12682

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
You have a pretty good parts pile there. Welcome to the barn. Things aren't as busy here on the T side but there are quite a few folks that keep an eye on it to see what's going on. There is plenty of knowledge here abouts. You can't pick a much simpler car to build. Ts can be a lot of fun too. I passed a fellow yesterday here in San Antonio that was out for a Sunday drive in an early 20s touring car.
I'm hoping to get my frame modified to get it back to solid as it's 2/3 of a frame right now, add the quarter elliptical springs to the frame, and get mounts attached.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #5
rotorwrench

As long as you have the cross members it shouldn't be to difficult. Now would be the time to do any changes too. Since it's a speedster, are you planning for additional gearing? An overdrive box might be a good addition. I like this link for T speedsters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Paiqx1FuwVw
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
Dusty12682

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
As long as you have the cross members it shouldn't be to difficult. Now would be the time to do any changes too. Since it's a speedster, are you planning for additional gearing? An overdrive box might be a good addition. I like this link for T speedsters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Paiqx1FuwVw
I have talked to Clayton a few times, and thankfully I have materials available that I can use to make the spring brackets from. I also have a police partition that will function as structure as well as the floor of the speedster. With any luck, I will have the frame set up soon.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:48 PM   #7
Dusty12682

Not much on the update front, but I dug out the Euclid truck seat and set it in place, after I took my crown vic police partition apart and bolted it to the frame (to be welded together soon) trimmed my frame to be equal (it was given to me already cut), and mounted headlights to the now front crossmember. I also figured out spring location, and ordered a threaded steel DOM tube for offroad racing, and heim joints. The front radius bars will be the tube, tie rod ends from a 2000 F150 (under $4 each new), with the heim joints attached to the spring perches... all I need now is a front spring.

Old 09-27-2020, 02:01 PM   #8
Dusty12682

While I didn't get much of a chance to do much on the speedster, I did finish the work on the radiator shell for the speedster. It belongs to a 23/24 Overland. It was damaged pretty badly, and I welded up the damaged areas, hammered what I could out, and filled with filler where I couldn't get it smooth and the light pitting. It took a few days to get it to primer sealer, but it looks amazing from where I started. The best part is the badge is in good enough shape to be put back up if I choose to.

Old 10-01-2020, 03:18 PM   #9
Dusty12682

Not much if an update, but I did get a Model A steering column/box, pitman arm, Model A dual steering arm, Model A intake, crank bearing caps, front motor mount, spring bushings, front spring perch to be welded to the rear crossmember, and some odds and ends.... I also got a victory medal from WW1, and ordered a replica set of WW1 dogtags that have my great-grandfathers name, rank, serial number, and unit on them... figured it would be a cool bit of accessories as a keychain... the man was friends with Bob Hope, Bob Evans, and I don't even know how many powerful people of the first half of the 20th century...