Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2021, 08:27 PM   #41
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida
Default Re: Why do you own a Model A?

When I was a lil kid in Knoxville, TN in the early fifties the farmers market every weekend was full of Model A pickups selling produce and flowers.

Then in the early sixties a friend had a '28 Tudor we rode to high school in.

So, now I have a '31 Tudor of my own......cause a Shay just didn't quite appeal to me as much as the original Model A.
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:48 PM   #42
midgetracer

I have 9 Model A Fords. If I hear of one for sale, It most often follows me home. Why? The only reason that i can think of is because I am certifiably crazy. My dad got me started back when I was in college. People would tell him it was better than drinking. He was a non drinker and this would always piss him off. I have restored dozens of cars, but at my age, these cars are now being given to my children and grand children. Good thing is that they want them and are good mechanics.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:26 PM   #43
noyo55

My dad gave me a 30 Coupe for Christmas in 1964 to get me out of my 1957 Pontiac. He was afraid I'd kill myself in it. I still have it . The body has never been off the frame. I'm waiting for my B cam to arrive from Pete, in Washington, then the engine gets installed. I'll own it for 3 more years until my 13 year old Grandson turns 16
noyo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:09 PM   #44
woofa.express

Because it does my ego good.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:48 PM   #45
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
I’ve had days where I ask my self that very question!
��
Hahahahaha!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:38 AM   #46
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
I too like the time machine factor - a great example of when cars came with power and automatic NOTHING. Also a great chick magnet.
I was just driving my 29 today with the top down in the old section of town and everyone was waving.....lets just say the horn got a good workout. As I left town and passed the 100 plus year old homes I just felt like it was 1929 all over again. The flux capacitor must kick in at 48 mph because I sure did not hit 88 today lol.

Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:51 AM   #47
28Danby

I bought my Tudor when mom, who owned it at the time, told me she was going to hot rod it. I just couldn't let that happen so I bought it, when I was 26 years old.
My great grandfather bought it new back in 1928 and I am the 4th generation to own it and at some point my kids will own it and with any luck, my grandkids.
I am currently doing a full, frame off resto. Fully rebuilt driveline, new subframe and floors, new brakes, everything, taking it back to its old glory.

In short, its a family heirloom and is a part of us.
28Danby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:04 AM   #48
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
Babe magnets hahaha, corvettes and Beamers are babe magnets! Thank you for my laugh of the day ( laugh not chuckle )! Wayne
P.s. maybe very old babes !
Granted I don't know too many of them, but Corvette and Beamer owners I have met tend to be very unpleasant people. j.m.h.o.

P.S. - Alice was almost 62 when we met, so just old, not very old.
and still a babe.

Last edited by Chris in WNC; 04-10-2021 at 07:10 AM.
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:45 AM   #49
1928Mik

Granted I don't know too many of them, but Corvette and Beamer owners I have met tend to be very unpleasant people. j.m.h.o.

Chris, yes I owned a couple of Corvettes besides a Viper, and all those owners tended to be unpleasant. I have heard Porsche owners are the worst tho! But anyway, every Model A owner I have met are good people.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:13 AM   #50
al's28/33

Post #3 from Model A Ron hits all my points.
I LOVE THE A!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:57 AM   #51
Robert/Texas

My father bought a brand-new Model A Tudor in 1930. I was born in 1934 and came home from the hospital in that car. Here is a picture of me standing next to it in 1938. He built the 8-foot wooden boat on top of the car for me. He traded the car in on a new 1939 Plymouth in December 1938 and I cried because I thought he would not carry that boat on his new car. I was wrong though.

I bought my first Model A, a 1928 roadster, in 1956 to get to work in when my hotrod-1934 roadster was out of commission. Later I replaced it with a 1932 Model B pickup.
Fast forward to 1989, I bought my early-1928 open-cab pickup at the Pate Swap Meet and a few months later my non-running May 1928 roadster as a project car.

I guess that Model A’s are in my blood, Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zzz pop 1930 model a.jpg (83.0 KB, 62 views)
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:20 PM   #52
rfitzpatrick

Because in high school (class of '60) -- I was a nobody
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #53
Russ B

It is just a part of me. I am close to 75 and have had the 29 cabriolet since I was about 12. I have a CCPU and a coupe, neither running now, and had a Tudor and a roadster, all 1929s. I just enjoy driving the four banger with its great low end torque and too little power to get into high speed trouble.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:17 PM   #54
DHZIEMAN

I was 10 years old in 1950! Dad's daily driver car since the mid 30's was a 1929 Model A. I wanted to learn how to drive it.Dad would drive and let me shift. Next he got me behind the wheel and out in the country, he would get it started, and then sit next to me in a kind of propped up seat and we would drive around in 1st gear. I wanted to drive by myself and dad said If I could get it started with the crank, I could drive it on our property, in first gear. Well now, it took me some time to understand the choke, dad had a wire out front that , I could pull on the choke, and he explained retarding the spark and giving it some throttle, and, eventually, I got it started. Well now, at age 75, I found my own 1930 Model A, not in as good shape as my dads. but this one is mine and really brings back great memories!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #55
Ed in Maine

I own a Model A because I have always owned one! It was the first car I owned. I purchased a 1930 Town Sedan in April, 1964. I had two more semesters to go in college, with bills to pay, but I had money of my own earned at a A & P Food Store. It was disassembled but the pieces were excellent. The car had been owned by someone who had accumulated a large stash of Model A parts and was parting off some of the pieces to pay for the restoration of a Roadster. I remember him telling me that if something was missing, just come back, he was sure he had it somewhere. All I remember my Dad saying to me is that I bought a pile of junk. I had it running and registered two years later and left the church with it after my wife and I were married. It became our second car. What fun. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:47 PM   #56
HDowse

About 15 years ago an old member of the land trust I helped with decided to give his 1928 closed cab pickup to the organization so we could sell it and keep the proceeds. Being a bit of a car nut, I agreed to buy the pickup and he donated the cash. Since then I've has a '28 Leatherback and my current '29 Coupe. Along the way a '23 T roadster and a '40 Fordor followed me home. Not to mention the '37 pickup that I store for another elderly gentleman. Model A Ron hits all the points in post #3: it’s just a great car to own, drive and work on!
HDowse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:10 PM   #57
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
I was just driving my 29 today with the top down in the old section of town and everyone was waving.....lets just say the horn got a good workout. As I left town and passed the 100 plus year old homes I just felt like it was 1929 all over again. The flux capacitor must kick in at 48 mph because I sure did not hit 88 today lol.

Ron
Flux Capacitor! I wonder how many of us here recognize that reference.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:57 PM   #58
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Ray
I grew up in the 80's and Back to the Future still puts a smile on my face when Marty finds his way to 1955. I am a history buff and must have been born in the wrong year because I love everything old and hate technology that makes me available to the world 24 seven. When I drive my Model A and hear and feel the road the way people did 90 years back I somehow feel that connection to the past. That by it's self is a good reason to own a Model A for me.......so you see the Model A really is a TIME MACHINE

Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:20 AM   #59
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
The flux capacitor gets it's energy from the turboencabulator.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:20 AM   #60
CarlG

When I was 14, I searched down and bought a '31 Model AA that my dad had previously owned. A couple years later I bought a '31 Fordor, kept that one thru High School. Then fast forward 50 years, 2 wives, 4 kids later, and I bought the '31 Pickup in my avatar. Couldn't be happier.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote