Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2021, 06:56 PM   #1
jason78613

Default carb leaking gas, what did I do wrong?

Got a rebuilt Stromberg 81 carb from Uncle max, and a new fuel pump from Charlie NY for my '38 60hp. Car is smooth at idle but sputtering when I accelerate hard. After extensively reading through the forum, figured I'd check the float level...

I removed the screws around the top of the carb and lifted the top, cranked the engine a bit and it filled up the float bowl just fine... I'm not an expert, but everything looked right based on reading.

I put the top back on, tried to start the car, but it wasn't starting at all, and after a bit of cranking, quite a bit of gas seeped out of the hole where the accelerator pump goes into the top of the float bowl. (see attached picture) I removed the top again and checked the accelerator pump rod and the felt washer is there, along with the metal washer, springs, etc, but not sure if I'm missing something else?

Did I do something wrong? What typically prevents gas from coming out of that hole? what is causing gas to come out of that hole now?

I'm a noob, go easy on me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3444.jpg (38.8 KB, 369 views)

Last edited by jason78613; 03-03-2021 at 11:32 PM.
jason78613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:02 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Not sure what I did wrong, carb leaking gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason78613 View Post
Got a rebuilt Stromberg 81 carb from Uncle max, and a new fuel pump from Charlie NY for my '38 60hp. Car is smooth at idle but sputtering when I accelerate hard. After extensively reading through the forum, figured I'd check the float level...

I removed the screws around the top of the carb and lifted the top, cranked the engine a bit and it filled up the float bowl just fine... I'm not an expert, but everything looked right based on reading.

I put the top back on, tried to start the car, but it wasn't starting at all, and after a bit of cranking, quite a bit of gas seeped out of the hole where the accelerator pump goes into the top of the float bowl. (see attached picture) I removed the top again and checked the accelerator pump rod and the felt washer is there, along with the metal washer, springs, etc, but not sure if I'm missing something else?

Did I do something wrong? What typically prevents gas from doing out of that hole? what is causing gas to come out of that hole now?

I'm a noob, go easy on me.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:26 PM   #3
Ken hash

The 81 is a nice carb. When you take the top of the carb you see a float that is attached to a needle. When the gas rises the needle goes into the seat and stop the gas from coming in. It could be that the float is not correctly adjusted. Stomberg has a website with lots of information and diagrams. Good luck
Ken hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #4
51 MERC-CT

Sputtering on acceleration seems to indicate issues with the accelerator pump (bad pump leather/rubber etc.)
Old 03-03-2021, 10:04 PM   #5
Charlie ny
BANNED

Jason,
Your pump delivered 2 1/2 psi on my test motor, it should be very close to that
on yours. I'm upset but never surprised when something like this occurs. Uncle Max
will be here shortly....I think I just heard him.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:06 PM   #6
jason78613

Thanks Charlie, I’m sure your fuel Pump and Max’s carb are good based on all the forum reviews and recommendations, I’m just wondering of I did something wrong?

It was running without leaks until I opened the top of the carb... so not sure what the culprit is. I just wished I hadn’t messed with it.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:07 PM   #7
drolston

Nothing keeps gas from coming out of that hole where the accelerator pump plunger rod enters the float bowl. That felt washer is only there to keep dirt from getting in; there is no pressure seal because the float bowl must be vented to atmospheric pressure.

So, your test proved that under low fuel pressure from the fuel pump at cranking speed, the float needle shut off fuel at the correct level. When running, I suspect that fuel pressure from the fuel pump is exceeding the pressure that the float needle can withstand. Anything over 3.5 psi can cause problems. I use a pressure regulator set at 2.5 psi, and that is still plenty of flow for drag racing (just kidding; don't do that any more).

If too much pressure is the case, the bowl will fill too high and tend to flood the engine. It will run really rough. You will probably have a strong smell of gas under the hood, or even in the car.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:35 PM   #8
jason78613

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
Nothing keeps gas from coming out of that hole where the accelerator pump plunger rod enters the float bowl. That felt washer is only there to keep dirt from getting in; there is no pressure seal because the float bowl must be vented to atmospheric pressure.

So, your test proved that under low fuel pressure from the fuel pump at cranking speed, the float needle shut off fuel at the correct level. When running, I suspect that fuel pressure from the fuel pump is exceeding the pressure that the float needle can withstand. Anything over 3.5 psi can cause problems. I use a pressure regulator set at 2.5 psi, and that is still plenty of flow for drag racing (just kidding; don't do that any more).

If too much pressure is the case, the bowl will fill too high and tend to flood the engine. It will run really rough. You will probably have a strong smell of gas under the hood, or even in the car.
I have a rebuilt fuel pump from Charlie set at 2.5 psi, and it was running fine with no leaks before I opened the carb... I didn’t change anything else??

I just tried it again and it started up but after a few seconds, the gas started pouring out of that hole, so I shut it down again! Don’t know what else to do, :-(

Last edited by jason78613; 03-03-2021 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:36 PM   #9
Charlie ny
BANNED

Default Re: carb leaking gas, what did I do wrong?

Jason,
Let's do this....send me the pump and carb, I'll install both on my test motor
and get back to you on the Barn with an assessment. No charge. I'll cover return

shipping. The moment the parts get here I'll install them and have them heading back

to CEDAR PARK the next day.
Charlie
Charles Schwendler
5845 Cole Rd.
Orchard Park, N.Y.

Last edited by Charlie ny; 03-03-2021 at 11:36 PM. Reason: h missing in chalie
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:56 PM   #10
Anteek29

Sure sounds like a problem with the float needle valve. I am curious to learn what Charlie discovers.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:19 AM   #11
moefuzz

.Your fuel pump is mechanical or electric?

The original mechanical fuel pump on top of your intake may be pushing to much pressure.

Your carb is not designed to handle over pressure for very long and can be over