Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Wuudie

Default Upsetting

I was down my mom's this past weekend and going thru some pictures- I found Pics of Dad's A - when we moved it into the barn in 1998- Looked good- not perfect- but I wouldn't have that much work.

The second Picture is what the car looks like now after my Mom (without my knowing) took the car out of the barn in 2008 and left it out for 2 years before selling it over to me.

The last is the original pic of my dad back when he first bought it (just thought I'd share) Notice the Sport light and the weird rad mount when he first got it???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35a1.jpg (62.8 KB, 407 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd 35 a.jpg (85.3 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg 35a4.jpg (35.9 KB, 362 views)
Wuudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Upsetting

Ohh don't be upset. Life is too short. Be greatful you have the same car in which you can relive his thoughts & memories as you sit in the same seat.

BTW, cool car!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Pilotdave

Too bad if being out in the weather added to the resto task, but I agree with Brent - you've got something that most of us can't have: the Model A that Dad drove. Your glass is half full.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
Wuudie

Brent you right- life's too short and it (me/mom) have the history.

Thanks for the compliment- seeing and knowing what you can do the an A- I really take that as a hugh compliment- and thank you for it.

I just wish she would talk to me before I have to bail her out of trouble. My brother took her for alot of money after Dad passed and now she relys on me- but never tells me she needs my help until it's too late. (Sorry just venting)
Old 01-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Wick

Love the car,it can be fixed....just remember your Dad was the last one to work on it!
Ive seen my share of seniors do some strange things ....there was a Lady that loved to buy houses,but if the tolit acted up or she dident like a tree in the yard she would sell the house. If the next owner cut down the tree,fixed the tolit and put the house on the market...she would buy it again. One house she bought 4 different times in 5 years!
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Frank Miller

Like a friend of mine used to say, "Wherever there's a will....there's a bunch of relatives fighting over it."
Old 01-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
1931 flamingo

She could have sold it or given it away like all the comic books my brother and I had that went to the dump..................
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Two years outside certainly took a toll, but it still looks excellent to restore and now is a good time to give it a correct color. I've never seen such a wiper placement. Will you fix that too?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
james hitchcock

Still looks purdy to me.. I'd be proud to own her.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
Marco Tahtaras

It still looks like a nice car. It's tough to tell from these pics but it looks like it could have the original upholstery on the seats. That would be extremely unusual on a Phaeton.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
Aerocraft

It has been my experience that there isn't really that much difference between picture one and two in the effort to do a "complete" body off restoration. I would love to have the opportunity to restore the car as it is now. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
Jim Parker Toronto

Wuudie, can you show us more pictures of the windshield wiper, inside and out? It seems to be very unique!
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
Wuudie

As you can in the Third Pic the wiper is on the bottom below the windshield- threw the dash rail.- it was a vacum- Although I found Dad had another electric in a box of extra stuff.
THe mount on the bottom was as far as I can tell just like one would mount it on the top except threw the dash rail- I can take a pic of the hole that's there now.

One good thing from going threw the old pics, I found out a few things about the car

The headlights were model A- the marker lights were attached some time before Dad bought it and they were painted black.

The hole for the sportlight- (I think the light is in the barn in the loft) - The door was opened pretty hard and the sport light damaged the door.

The hole in the left side Cowl was an antenna hole- did they have radios' back then for the A? If they did, I think I know where in the attic that radio is
Old 01-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #14
40 Deluxe

This should serve as a lesson to those who store their treasures at someone else's house/barn/shed, etc. Things like this often happen. If you want to keep those old baseball cards, records, car magazines, cars, parts, etc., then keep them with you! Rent a storage space or keep them at your huse or apartment.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:22 AM   #15
30ccpickup

I love my Mom, she would of done the same thing, just to make room for one of her grandsons bicycles when they would come over to visit. Moms just never have the right priorities.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #16
Cool Hand Lurker

At least it was still there. I can't tell you how many times I heard "My dad sold that old car when I was off in the Army!"
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
Keith True

You're pretty lucky to get that little damage to it.I sold a nice BSA motorcycle to my fathers neighbor around 1980.Ten years later I got a call from his wife asking if I would like to buy the bike back.Turns out she had kicked him out a couple of months after he bought the bike,and she put it behind the garage so she wouldn't have to look at it.It sat leaning on the wall under the eaves with no spark plugs,carb,or exhaust.Crankcase was split,frame tubes were split,gas tank was split,everything tht could take on water was opened up.The funny part was that she knew he had paid me $2500.for the bike,and it was a classic that was ten years older now.So she was starting at $3500.and wanted an offer.My offer was to not charge to come over with the backhoe and haul it off.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #18
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
At least it was still there. I can't tell you how many times I heard "My dad sold that old car when I was off in the Army!"
You are correct. That is exactly what my Dad did back in the early 60's. Sold my 29 tudor body for $20 and through in my Model T. Bummer but the old 29 pickup was in a shed, stayed there and this was the start of my "new" 29 huckster. So still have some of the "old stuff".
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #19
hardtimes

What Model A guy wouldn't give to have a start on a car such as your second pic !!
Then throw in that it actually belonged to your father...SON...I say count your blessings. Half full , heck..you got a whole gallon !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

Keith and Fred, Yep it sure seems like most of us went through the same thing. My friend in S.D. had a few stationary engines that his dad sold or junked while he was in the Army. He was so upset when he got home that he said he set out to buy every stationary engine he could find and afford. Unfortunately he died suddenly and his family had to have three 3 day auctions, each a year apart to dispose of his holdings. When I went in the Army my dad gave away my 3 antique outboards and electric train set, so I set out to replace them, but the thieves have taken most of what I worked for over the past 40 years.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote