Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Ol' Ron

Default Car fir sale

I have a 31 Model A Victoria street rod for sale. where would be the best place to post it.>
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: Car fir sale

Ron, Post it on the HAMB that should get plenty of action.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
L78CHEVELLE

Ron, I have two 1940 Fords for sale for three months now. The market for now is very slow and has been most of the year. You maybe better off to just hold on to the car until next spring. I have tried the Ford Barn, Craig's List, Ebay, and the Hot Rod listings with no real response like I got in past years. One man showed up to look at one of my '40 Fords. He told me he would take the car for the asking price with one hitch to the deal. He wanted to give me a $1,500 deposit to hold the car until after the presidential election. If there was a change in the direction of this country he would return that week and buy the car for the asking price. If the country stayed the same he would give me the deposit and not take the car. I would not do that deal since that was in early September and I did not want to tie that car up for that long. This is what I'm running into in this present market.
L78CHEVELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
bobH

I've run into the same experience as L78... It's a buyer's market. I've had one car for sale for two years - no action. Another car (34), same thing. As a seller, I'm sitting tight, at least until after November. As a buyer, I'm not the least bit bashful with my offers. Right now, I've found it a heck of a lot easier to buy, than to sell. I've only sold one car in the last four years.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
texas webb

Sad and scary times indeed.
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
flathead 53

Red face Re: Car fir sale

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I would try hemmings .I sold a 31 model A pick up to a man in belgium got very near asking price,everything went well.
flathead 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
PhoenixFear

Unless you know someone who wants to buy it, places like CL are a bust. Not just for cars either. I have been trying to sell stuff on CL and eBay for a while, and no one is buying or bidding. I've seen flathead stuff on eBay numerous times because the seller doesn't want to sell stuff for the bids they are getting, ending the auction early and relisting it. Same goes to CL, I see the same stuff week after week.
PhoenixFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
Ol' Ron

How do I post on the Hamb??
Old 10-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
deuce lover

Ron, You will have to register just like here on the Barn.Everything else is the same.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
Brendan

dose it have a early V8 in it ?

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
Steve/IL

Ol'Ron,

Sorry for getting off subject on your post, but I just have to respond to L78Chevelle.

L78Chevelle,

Let me see if I understand your reply correctly. You have had two 1940 Fords for sale for three months and you would not take a $1500 deposit in early September to hold one of the cars for two more months when the buyer offers to pay your full asking price if the direction of the country does change in the presidental election and if the direction of the country does not change, he would let you keep the deposit and not take the car?? I would take that deal in a heartbeat (oops sorry heartbeat is Chevy talk). You win regardless of who wins the presidental election. You sell your car for the asking price or you get $1500 for simply holding the car for two months.

Unless, as I suspect, your response is really tongue in cheek! If you had gotten the buyers offer in writing, at least from my perspective, I wish that he would have came back to buy the car.

Steve/IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78CHEVELLE View Post
Ron, I have two 1940 Fords for sale for three months now. The market for now is very slow and has been most of the year. You maybe better off to just hold on to the car until next spring. I have tried the Ford Barn, Craig's List, Ebay, and the Hot Rod listings with no real response like I got in past years. One man showed up to look at one of my '40 Fords. He told me he would take the car for the asking price with one hitch to the deal. He wanted to give me a $1,500 deposit to hold the car until after the presidential election. If there was a change in the direction of this country he would return that week and buy the car for the asking price. If the country stayed the same he would give me the deposit and not take the car. I would not do that deal since that was in early September and I did not want to tie that car up for that long. This is what I'm running into in this present market.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
robert dick

thanks for all that advice, i was going to put my 36 pickup on the for sale side , maybe i'll wait till spring
robert dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #13
39 STD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I have a 31 Model A Victoria street rod for sale. where would be the best place to post it.>
I see what you are doing there. Have fun.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
L78CHEVELLE

Steve, when you take a deposit on a car to hold it for two and half months you really don't own the car, but you are responsible for the car. If some one else does come up to buy the car you can do nothing since you don't really own the rights to the car at that point. I like the car and would only use the money from the car to buy something else I like better. I don't like problems or restrictions when it comes to buying or selling a car. I like clean deals that are over when they are over. That is why I did not take the deposit. I thought the vehicles would sell before November with a clean deal. At that time I had some interest from other people, but no real offers. They could sell tomorrow, who knows?
L78CHEVELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
peewee2you

Ron, despite how the country is going and where the economy is at and what season it is, you are selling a car, and as long as you are placing an ad at no cost except for a description, a few pic's and some time, in my eyes you've got nothing to loose and maybe something to gain, go for it. You are always going to be faced with the asking and the bargaining, and hopefully you'll get lucky and meet somewhere and both parties are happy, ask a tad beyond what you want, and then when your worked back, it's actually where or between what and where you wanted to be.

Best of Luck, PW
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
Rich Overton

Ron I've had my restored original all stock Merc for sale for about a year. CL, Hemmings and hot rod. Stock original cars like mine don't seem to have a strong market. Your's being a "street rod" would probably sell on Hot Rod from what I've seen. Modifieds seem not to last very long. Just my thought. Good Luck!

Rich O.
Rich Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #17
tiquer

Not much better up here in Canada. Market is really soft. Some great deals out there if you have some extra cash to throw around. But it sucks if you need to sell to pay the bills.
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #18
Henry/Kokomo

Interesting thread. My sentiments have been pretty thoroughly echoed herein.

HOWEVER, yesterday I bought a book of cars for sale while killing some time at the grocery store. I'm amazed by some of the prices I see. Judging by what's there, you'd never suspect the market/economy was soft. Of course, the puplication doesn't say what the cars are actually selling for . . . . or if they're selling.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #19
okiedokie

I know of three cars that have sold in the past two months on www.hotrodhotline.com. 65 Mustang [very original V8 3spd coupe], 48 Ford conv and 47 Ford conv [both street rods], all sold for good money. My brother bought a 50 F1 last month, can't recall the site it was on. None of them would be considered a steal for the buyers. Mustang sold around 15,000, conv's both in the 50,000 range, and my brother paid 14,000 for a driver quality F1.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #20
Ol' Ron

I put the price at a figure that anyone interested in this type of street rod would understand the valur of all the "pieces parts" The restored body has all new glas and upolstrury . New wood in the top and new soft covering. This work cost $13,000 in 1992. The Brookville chassis including a rebuilt 8" ford with .3.8 gears was over $5,000
The wheels and tires ove $2,000. The 700R4 has converter to manual lock-up. The 1992 GM V6 has a new edelbrock carb and HEI ignition. That's just the surface and doesn't include all the other BS that goes into a road traveler. This should cruise effertlessly 65-70 MPH woth great mileage. I was just hoping someone would see that and make a reasonable offer. I don't need the money but I have grandkids that have collage expenises, this would help.