Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-19-2016, 02:22 PM   #21
SeaSlugs

Default Re: model A parts suppliers

I have bought a few parts from Birdhaven Vintage auto parts in Coalfax, IA before - very knowledgeable friendly people with very competitive prices. Not too far off I-80 if your passing thru.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #22
coupe1942

An acquaintance I have uses Battlefield quite a bit. I have no idea as to what they are like as a vendor, but here is a link list that seems pretty good.

https://www.mafca.com/suppliers.html

I have to admit that I do not understand Mac's policy regarding shipping. I ordered two pair of trim rings for my instrument panel. They are small enough to fit into a standard envelope, but instead I got 4 different packages big enough to put in a carburetor with a single trim ring inside of each. My one piece still on order for a couple of months now is the on-off stitch for my ignition on the dash panel. Lord knows what size package it will arrive in or when it will get here. Unfortunately, the shipping charges don't get registered until the package is actually shipped. The shipping cost ends up nailing me four times for something that could have been dropped into an envelope and sent.

Even though I have used Mac's and even supported them in the past, this all goes into my decision to try to find parts elsewhere in the future if at all possible. They really don't come across at to trying to listen to their customers or to revise their shipping methods and policies to benefit anyone other than themselves. I spent a chunk of change initially with them, but will be looking elsewhere in the future. As to the quality of their parts, I am not so sure they are much different that most other vendors, as quite a few parts are the same regardless of which vendor you choose to purchase them from.

As far as what i have seen so far, most vendors don't really vary all that much on the parts they sell. Some take PayPal and some do do not. Good luck in which vendor you pick to use. If you have a great experience with one over the others then please share it.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:19 PM   #23
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

You can clearly see a pattern here and none of them include MAC'S
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #24
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
You can clearly see a pattern here and none of them include MAC'S
Please explain your comments and is this the established position of Marc and MAFCA as per your title ? Are you speaking on their behalf ? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:56 PM   #25
a_crazy

well Thanks again gents.. I appreciate it .
a_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #26
coupe1942

3 more packages arrived today after my last post. It means 3 separate shipping charges to nail me with for them. A floorboard felt, a manifold clamp and a horn bracket, each in separate shipping containers/boxes. This sort of thing nickles and dimes one to death and probably makes someone else pretty wealthy though. Why couldn't the order have been shipped all at once and why not put it all into one box? Who knows the real reason, but I have to admit that after all of this I am now looking for another vendor to deal with. It is just too frustrating to never know how a shipment will arrive.

You would think that they would keep an eye on what their customers were saying about them and what was working and what was not, but it sure does not look that way judging by what is usually posted here from those with consistent negative experiences.

I believe I had liked using them more because they accept PayPal and many other vendors do not. I am not into using credit cards unless I absolutely have to, so this had worked out okay for my own needs at first.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:51 PM   #27
nq50

Tams in West Boylston, Ma.
nq50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #28
Synchro909

For VERY obvious reasons I support our local parts supplier here in Australia but I have had dealings with Arizona Model A in Phoenix. No website but great service, very knowledgeable and ever ready to help. (480) 782 0266. Sammy
Old 09-19-2016, 06:09 PM   #29
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
3 more packages arrived today after my last post. It means 3 separate shipping charges to nail me with for them. A floorboard felt, a manifold clamp and a horn bracket, each in separate shipping containers/boxes. This sort of thing nickles and dimes one to death and probably makes someone else pretty wealthy though. Why couldn't the order have been shipped all at once and why not put it all into one box? Who knows the real reason, but I have to admit that after all of this I am now looking for another vendor to deal with. It is just too frustrating to never know how a shipment will arrive.

You would think that they would keep an eye on what their customers were saying about them and what was working and what was not, but it sure does not look that way judging by what is usually posted here from those with consistent negative experiences.

I believe I had liked using them more because they accept PayPal and many other vendors do not. I am not into using credit cards unless I absolutely have to, so this had worked out okay for my own needs at first.

So did you complain to Macs or post here before allowing them the opportunity rectify the situation ? Wayne.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:09 PM   #30
d.

with all the constant negative reviews, I just cannot believe that anyone would continue to use MAC's
Snyder's and Brattons have been around for a long time and provide good parts and good service from folks who understand a Model A. Their catalogs are excellent and free, give them a call.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:23 PM   #31
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
For VERY obvious reasons I support our local parts supplier here in Australia but I have had dealings with Arizona Model A in Phoenix. No website but great service, very knowledgeable and ever ready to help. (480) 782 0266. Sammy
I have called them before and yes they are very helpful- havent bought anything but seemed nice and knowledgeable on the phone.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:42 AM   #32
JohnLaVoy

www.pvford.com is close to you.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #33
BILL WILLIAMSON

Any SUPPLIER need a "PHONE GUY"?? I'm AVAILABLE, if the pay's GOOD.
Bill Babble
Old 09-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #34
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. View Post
with all the constant negative reviews, I just cannot believe that anyone would continue to use MAC's
Snyder's and Brattons have been around for a long time and provide good parts and good service from folks who understand a Model A. Their catalogs are excellent and free, give them a call.
25 out of 75,000 Barners mean nothing. They for sure have the best catalogue. I have had excellent service from Macs. . Can you tell us what your problem was? Wayne
Old 09-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #35
V4F

be sure to ask if it is "in stock" . seems a lot of venders don't stock as before , floor tax
Old 09-20-2016, 11:04 AM   #36
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. View Post
Decisions based on heresay have no credibility. Heresay is the enemy of logic. Fear mongering by a few that affects many. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 09-20-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #37
trucker1

MACS is in the process of shipping their inventory from New York to Florida as they told me. That's what caused some disruptions in shipping. I'll bet it improves in the future.
trucker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #38
pooch

I need model A parts right now, but it seems it is cheaper to hop on a plane and fly over than pay their exorbitant quoted postage ripoffs.

I have no idea why a box of parts that would fit in a box about 3 inches by 3 inches by 12 inches can be quoted at $76 USD ..

Last time i ordered from vendors mentioned here the bits came in a huge box with a dozen old newspapers and other junk filling the empty space.

It wears a bit thin when these vendors cannot simply pack it efficiently.

I feel we all are just a dumping ground for all their old boxes.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #39
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
I need model A parts right now, but it seems it is cheaper to hop on a plane and fly over than pay their exorbitant quoted postage ripoffs.

I have no idea why a box of parts that would fit in a box about 3 inches by 3 inches by 12 inches can be quoted at $76 USD ..

Last time i ordered from vendors mentioned here the bits came in a huge box with a dozen old newspapers and other junk filling the empty space.

It wears a bit thin when these vendors cannot simply pack it efficiently.

I feel we all are just a dumping ground for all their old boxes.
I can see your point on the packaging considering it has to be flown overseas and alot more chances for rough handling.

For domestic mail I think using old newspapers and boxes and such is great for the whole recycle/reuse thing. Most of us including me just throw the box and packaging away anyways so who cares if its bits of old boxes or fresh new bubblewrap? Now do I feel the shipping prices should reflect that considering they arent paying for shipping supplies? yea.... I never will understand why me as an individual can ship something cheaper than a business can. Those flatrate boxes can actually hold ALOT with virtually no weight restrictions (like 70#'s? i guess if you were to mail some lead...)
Old 09-20-2016, 06:14 PM   #40
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
... Those flatrate boxes can actually hold ALOT with virtually no weight restrictions (like 70#'s? i guess if you were to mail some lead...)
I mailed a flywheel in one once. Just barely under the limit, but it went!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote