Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
JerseyJim

Default NJ DMV versus AACA Judges

Went to NJ Dept of Motor Vehicles today to register my 40 Ford Sedan Delivery. Spent two hours there and walked away with nothing. The woman there along with two other coworkers spent all that time checking their picture library looking for a comparable vehicle. They had none. The woman then started comparing it to a Deluxe coupe. She pointed to my mirrors, fog lights, and bumper guard and said that the car is "not historically accurate and doesn't qualify for Historic plates". I politely explained that all of these items were genuine Ford accessories correct for the year and she simply handed me all of my paper work back and said that they wouldn't register it. My comment to her at that point was that she was not hired to be a car judge.

I have posted pictures of the car here previously. This is a frame-off, accurate restoration. Everything except the distributor and fan are original and correct for the car. NJ used to handle this stuff in Trenton and there was never a hassle. Now Trenton is sending car owners to Flemington and these people have no idea what they are doing. Nothing but horror stories. No one ever seems to get through the ordeal in a single visit.

I'm going back tomorrow with a copy of The Classy Ford V8 showing a picture of the car and a picture and list of all 1940 Genuine Ford accessories. I plan on asking for a supervisor. Wish me luck...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SedanD_FullFrnt.jpg (34.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg SedanD_LeftSide.jpg (38.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 02-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: NJ DMV versus AACA Judges

not that this helps any but when I went to register my 41 3/4 ton truck (already had title in my name) it took over an hour trying to compare it to something already on their books, which they could not come up with, finally decided it was close to a 72 Chev flatbed that was on the books. I talked with my lawyer, a car guy, and believe it or not he said it had to do with the homeland security bill passed by our idiots in Washington. Stupidity marches on.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
paul2748

The problem in NJ is that a lot of people with heavily modified old cars have gotten or have tried to get the special registration (QQ plates) when only factory equipped cars are eligible for them. This has led to a crackdown on the use of the QQ's by the DMV.

When dealing with the any DMV, the thing to do is always be polite, even when they can be a bunch of idiots and infuriate you, which often happens. Going to a supervisor is a good idea. And you may want to make a copy of the pages in the V8 book for them to add to their library so the next guy has an easier time.

Good Luck
Old 02-15-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
Old Henry

If you can take an original "green bible" parts book in with you that might help too.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
richard crow

i was told that in n.j once you get historical plates you don,t pay a yearly fee & you don,t need yearley inspt .if true its worth the hassle in n.y land of tax we pay every year for reg & inspt.down state 53.00 for plate was 23.00 last year. some states are even higher. paul 2748 is right because a lot of people try to reg. modofied cars they look close .
Old 02-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
oldskool

I would try another dmv office,i had issues with a local dmv trying to reg my 41 noting but greif,went to another office and had no problem.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
345 DeSoto

[QUOTE=In n.y land of tax we pay every year for reg & inspt.down state 53.00 for plate was 23.00 last year. some states are even higher.QUOTE]

This is why I registered my 32 in Florida...no yearly ($$$) inspection, no crap stickers all over the windshield, no hassle...and the DMV lady SUGGESTED that I register it as "Historic", because it's cheaper for the plates. As for seeing a Supervisor, that's the route to go. The car is, in fact, a 40. What accessories it may have on it has nothing to do with the fact that it IS a 40...
Old 02-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
jimTN

TN has a antique plate, good forever. Problem is the butchers have gotten these plates for their "creations" and tend to drive them for regular use. State has cracked down on the use part and hopefully will crack down when these totally non original cars are registered.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
Mike51Merc

Remove Accessories.
Visit DMV.
Replace Accessories.

I've heard stories about people photoshopping pictures of their cars and submitting them to DMV. A friend of mine was denied because of Lake Pipes, another for chrome wheels.

Meanwhile, I've seen customs with serious body modifications running around with Antique plates. Go Figure.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #10
JerseyJim

Update... Back at Flemington DMV. Yesterday the excuse was that my pictures showed accessories that their picture of the front of a regular Deluxe did not show. Brought them a book showing the Delivery as well as the Genuine Ford accessory list and clear pictures. They won't even look at my documentation! I am now waiting while they contact Trenton. This is insane.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #11
Fordors

Jim, while I sympathize with you wholeheartedly, if you think about it the situation is really no different than anything else in this country. The nurse that won't answer the call button in a timely manner, the store clerk with a surly attitude, or the govt. bureaucrat that can't be bothered; it's rampant. What we all need is for everyone to act civilly toward one another, but good luck with that. Enough of my rant, I better back off on the caffeine this morning.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
Mike51Merc

Perhaps the AACA can help? I'd give them a call just to find out.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
OldIron

Your problem reminds me of when I lived in Massachusetts (born there). Everytime I went to the Dept of Registry it was a hassle. It seemed like they went out of their way to create a problem. I've lived in Washington State for the last 20 years and it's a pleasant change. We have a correct year plate program and it's for stock or modified as long as they are not daily drivers. Once registered there are no annual fees. The people are always friendly and easy to deal with. In today's financial crisis being experienced by most states, someone ought to tell them it's wise to be nice to your customers, who are also voters. Good luck!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #14
richard crow

we have become slaves to our sivel servents.they don,t have to be nice .1-they can,t be fired 2-they have no compertion.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
we have become slaves to our sivel servents.they don,t have to be nice .1-they can,t be fired 2-they have no compertion.
A bigger problem we have is that much of our country can't properly read and write. Just sayin'

sivel = civil
servents= servants
don,t = don't
can,t = can't
compertion= competition
Old 02-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #16
Charlie Stephens

Can you take a copy of the Restoration Guidelines from the Early Ford V8 Club (earlyfordv8.org) with you?

Charlie Stephens
Old 02-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #17
billwill

Quote:
i was told that in n.j once you get historical plates you don,t pay a yearly fee & you don,t need yearley inspt .if true its worth the hassle in n.y land of tax we pay every year for reg & inspt.down state 53.00 for plate was 23.00 last year. Some states are even higher. Paul 2748 is right because a lot of people try to reg. Modofied cars they look close .
what you are saying is true great place to live.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #18
32B

Wow, this is the first I have heard of the NJ problems. My NJ registered 68 Cutlass has been registered as historic for over 10 years. It runs 11 teens and looks stock on the outside other than the cage, but thats not all that visible from the pics. I didn't have a problem when I registered it, but it would have been before 9/11. I am not looking forward to trying to register the 32. I think NJ does have the 'collector' class of reg for modified vehicles, but not sure what is needed ins wise or reg wise for that option. But on the whole, most DMVs in polulated areas are miserable form my expierience. I always have better luck going to one in a quiet area where the folks behind the counter might have time to help you. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #19
JerseyJim

Further update... I told the supervisor in Flemington that I had to talk to her supervisor. She said that person was in Trenton and they didn't open until 8:30 (half hour later). I said I would wait for as long as it took and took a seat. An hour later, I was called up and they took care of the paperwork and registered the car.

For the record... I was extremely polite. My wife is a government employee. So I am sensitive to the fact that these people frequently have to take a lot of abuse from the public. The problem here was a supervisor with a VERY bad attitude.

I understand what they are trying to do. The categories are being abused. People are registering street rods, rat rods, even pro streets as historical cars. But having some clerk at the counter trying to make these types of decisions is not going to work.

NJ has really tightened the rules. Here they are...

HISTORICComplete Application for Historic Vehicle Registration [pdf, Form SP-21]
  • Enclose two color photographs of your vehicle: front view and side view (right or left) NOTE: Flemington requires the windows to be up and visible in the photographs. Retractable headlights must be open.
  • Enclose a copy of your New Jersey vehicle title
  • Enclose $44 check or money order payable to NJMVC
  • Mail to the address listed on the form: NJ Motor Vehicle Commission, Special Plate Unit, 225 East State Street, P.O. Box 015, Trenton, NJ 08666-0015
You are probably better off mailing the application in then taking it to the local DMV. Probably less of a hassle. NOTE that the application states that the vehicle cannot be modified in any way. That's a tough one to live up to for even the best restorations.

STREET ROD - Here are the big changes. Note that you have to have an NSRA inspection!
  • Fully completed application signed by a Street Rod Official
  • Photocopy of the current vehicle registration certificate
  • Photocopy of your membership card
  • National Street Rod Association Vehicle Safety Inspection Form No. 100
  • $15 check or money order payable to NJ MVC

COLLECTOR VEHICLE
  • A limited production vehicle or a vehicle made in limited quantities
  • Less than 25 years old
  • Not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
  • Not driven more than 3,000 miles per year
  • Insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"
To be classified as a collector vehicle, your vehicle cannot be registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod." Download our fact sheet [23k pdf] for more information.

Vehicles applying for collector vehicle status must be approved by MVC. Follow these steps to apply:
  • Complete the collector vehicle application [41k pdf]
  • Submit a letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization attesting to the vehicle’s limited production status. Must be printed on official letterhead
  • Show proof of limited-use insurance
  • Include photographs of front, driver side, passenger side and rear of the vehicle
Old 02-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #20
paul2748

Quote:
i was told that in n.j once you get historical plates you don,t pay a yearly fee & you don,t need yearley inspt .if true its worth the hassle in n.y land of tax we pay every year for reg & inspt.down state 53.00 for plate was 23.00 last year. some states are even higher. paul 2748 is right because a lot of people try to reg. modofied cars they look close .

That's right. Once registered no annual registration fees, at least for now.
You still get yearly registrations, but no fees, no inspections. Technically, there is a mileage limitation, but I don't think the cops really care to check.
Closed Thread