Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
SANTA Ray

Default Aries S/S Muffler

I have been running the stainless muffler for about a year or 15,000 miles. The tail pipe clamp rattles. The insulation on the aries clamp has worn off. I just pumped hi-temp silicone around the perimiter of the clamp and tail pipe. My theory is this will insulate and stop the rattle. As the pipe expands it should be fine expanding and contracting. Will I regret this? Has anyone else done something similar?

For those that have not used the SS set-up the tail pipe clamp must be loose to allow for expansion. A clamp to tight will damage the tail pipe.
SANTA Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
steve s

Default Re: Aries S/S Muffler

I fashioned a bracket out of a heavy rubber exhaust hanger from an auto parts store. I insulated the pipe from the rubber with a few wraps of asbestos or fiberglass cloth. There seems to be enough flex to accomodate thermal expansion. However, my original motivation was to minimize vibration transfer to the frame and body.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
SANTA Ray

Thanks Steve - My wife and I will be passing close to you soon. We will be driving from Atlanta to Oskosh and Marquette. We both grew up in Niles, MI.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

How about this for a similar cushioning application?

Try the original steel, tail pipe clamp wrapped & cushioned with a single layer of the still available braided 1" wide, white lamp wick which goes in kerosene lamps & lanterns -- it can be spirally wrapped around the tail pipe in a single layer to cushion the metal to metal contact.

I had one in use for years on an old rattling rusty tail pipe which was secured in place on both sides of the original steel clamp with end twisted #14 gauge copper electrical wire which did not rust.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANTA Ray View Post
I have been running the stainless muffler for about a year or 15,000 miles. The tail pipe clamp rattles. The insulation on the aries clamp has worn off. I just pumped hi-temp silicone around the perimiter of the clamp and tail pipe. My theory is this will insulate and stop the rattle. As the pipe expands it should be fine expanding and contracting. Will I regret this? Has anyone else done something similar?

For those that have not used the SS set-up the tail pipe clamp must be loose to allow for expansion. A clamp to tight will damage the tail pipe.
Did the "insulation" wear out or shift out? The thermal expansion blamed for breaking welds is the length of the muffler assembly and the special loose clamp is designed to allow the tail pipe to slide fore and aft in the clamp throughout the heating and cooling cycles. Will it still do so?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
SANTA Ray

I drove from Atlanta to Alaska and back (11,609 miles) last June/July. The bumping shaking etc. on the Alcan Hwy wore it out. I'm now looking for a more permenant fix. I probably won't be driving again in those conditions for awhile and am not concerned with total accuracy just so it looks similar to original.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
pat in Santa Cruz

you can find muffler and exhaust pipe wrap in auto stores that cater to hot rodders. Its a fiberglass wrap that is wider than what is in the Aries clamp, but looks the same. It can be cut with scissors.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
john in illinois

I had an aries cushion clamp that was worn out at 1,200 miles on smooth roads. The asbestos type cushion wore completely through to the metal,it did not come out or shift. Total waste of money IMO.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote