Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
Kevin in NJ

Default The Restorer- What Henry forgot to do????

I am sorry and I mean no ill will on the editors of the magazines, but I must air my frustration. I just got the May-June issue of The Restorer and the article is on page 17, titled 'What Henry Forgot To Do'.
I bring about my points mostly to get people thinking some, so please read on.

Lets be real.

Ford did NOT forget to add those oil or grease holes!
Ford engineered the car to not need them. I admit that there are some parts of the A a little tweaking makes sense, but only a few places.

These types of articles are not in line with the goals of the club.
I am pretty sure the charter of the club is to preserve the Model A.
I believe title the article will lead people to the wrong conclusions and does not fit the charter.

Ford engineered the original brake shaft bushings so they did not require lubrication. The system was designed to reduce rattling noise and not permit a binding situation in the brakes. The history and the proper function is not addressed in the article. They just tell you to take off the bushings and put on the new split bushings after you drill in some grease holes.
I think we are also missing a few steps on how to determine if the bushing are even worn enough to be a problem.

For the record, the metal on metal bushing will need some type of lubrication. If you use the correct original style bushings you do not need lubrication. Yes, they do make reproduction original type bushings.

Same thing with the dist, you oil it properly it will work fine last a VERY long time.

How to fix the problem?

Should not be too hard.

A title that is more appropriate and have the writers do a bit more research to include correct background information.
The article should have been written to first explain the original type bushings. Explain when the bushings should be considered bad (including why). Then go on to explain why the repro metal to metal type bushings really need some kind of lubrication system.
If you might wonder where the author could find this info, well it has all been discussed here on Fordbarn in the past.

Oh, At least this method of lubrication does not defeat the main purpose of the ball. That is to allow for flex without binding the shaft. One person advocates putting the grease fitting through the ball locking it in place.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Rich in Tucson

Default Re: The Restorer- What Henry forgot to do????

Amen brother.

I have repaired a car at least 4 times in the last 6 years for the same faulty design problem involving it's "improved modern points". Each time the owner asks me if I have the same problem and when I answer, "NO! BECAUSE I USE ORIGINAL-STYLE POINTS/CONDENSER!" I get the same blank stare at infinity and the same muttered, "but they are modern and improved...." Forward indeed.
Rich in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
Richard Wilson

Fordgarage makes a good point. The MAFCA/MARC editors receive and print unsolicited articals sent to them by unpaid amateur writers-photographers-restorers in most cases. Some articals do make more sense than others but all are entertaining and some are even thought provoking. All of the "fordbarn experts" should take time and write at least one artical a year for publication in the national magazines! What an incredible ideal!
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
Kevin in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wilson View Post
Fordgarage makes a good point. The MAFCA/MARC editors receive and print unsolicited articals sent to them by unpaid amateur writers-photographers-restorers in most cases. Some articals do make more sense than others but all are entertaining and some are even thought provoking. All of the "fordbarn experts" should take time and write at least one artical a year for publication in the national magazines! What an incredible ideal!

They are EDITORS. Their job is to make either make changes or ask the writers to make changes to present the content in an appropriate manner. They must also verify that what is printed is relevant and accurate.

Their job is not to take whatever they get and just print it. Their job is to piece together an accurate informative technical magazine.
NOT an easy job as I have tried to do local newsletters in the past. The job is most like pulling teeth.

Most importantly, I believe, they have the responsibility to up hold the club charters.
If the purpose of the club is to preserve the Model A then they must have the responsibility to present the material so all reading can make the difference between preservation and modification.

In no way am I saying they should not print the information. I am suggesting that more editing should be done to differentiate between 'mods' that have merit and proper restoration.

What got me started on this concept was a bunch of years ago the editors let an article be printed where the author stated that there was no way to make the original brakes safe to operate. The article stated you must convert to hydraulic brakes to safely drive.
This is blatantly wrong and misleading to the A public and certainly against the basic charter of the clubs, which is to preserve the Model A. While for this thread I picked a less clear topic with the 'mods', would anyone disagree that with my opinion that allowing the brakes article to print was wrong? Should we not expect the editors to be more careful with how information is allowed to be printed? I am not against an article on installing juice brakes, but I believe the editors should make it clear that juice brakes are not required for safe operation of the car.

FWIW,
In the past years I have attempted to contact, by email, both editors more than once to ask some questions about writing articles and I have never received a reply back. Maybe the email links were just bad at the time, I do not know.

Last edited by Kevin in NJ; 05-07-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

While I am NOT going to side with either Vince or Kevin in this matter, may I interject a couple of thoughts here;

1st, I think it used to be that the goals of both clubs were to promote the preservation of the Ford Model-A as originally manufactured however I am not so sure that is the current goal for both clubs. My perception is that the MARC club probably more aligns with that mindset while MAFCA promotes ownership of any Model-A whether authentically restored, heavily modified, -or somewhere in-between.

2nd, I just attended a Model T club board meeting in Florida where us as board members were to define (on paper) the job description of our national magazine's editor. In our club (which I understand very closely aligns with sister collector clubs protocol) the Editor works under the direction of the President and the Exec. Director guidance. The Editor is solely responsible for securing all content for the magazine, -and is responsible for that content as it pertains to the direct interests of the club. Therefore while I can submit an article for the magazine on any topic I deem suitable, it is solely up to the Editor to ensure my submission meets the goals and standards by which the Editor has been given guidance by the President or the B.o.Ds before it is printed.

Therefore is there really a directional issue with the magazine's content regarding the Editor, -or the leadership of the club? If as members of a particular club you are unhappy with the direction of the club, then state your opinion to the leadership of the club. If they do not agree with your thoughts, then decide whether it is a value for you to remain a member of that club or organization.

One other point that many may not like (including myself) but when an article is submitted to a magazine for inclusion it becomes property of the magazine and the Editor reserves the right to edit the content in any manner they see fit. While most magazine editors will contact the author asking for permission to change/edit the content, they are under no obligation to do so. Because they do reserve that right, they do become solely responsible for the content. I have found this to be true the hard way as it created some hard feelings between our club's editor and one of my family members.

(I see Kevin has posted some redundant thoughts while we were typing simultaniously.)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Frank Miller

Engineers and editors make mistakes. Even engineers disagree sometimes. Whether something is printed in a magazine or posted on fordbarn I realize it is the author's opinion based on HIS experience. I look at the logic supporting the opinions and draw my own conclusions but I understand they are solely mine.

I would think the editor's job is to make sure the magazine is organized in a pleasing manner, maximizing advertisers exposure and making sure grammar is correct. Also ensuring the the material makes sense to the reader. If the editor now has to go out and ensure all facts are accurate and check sources he may as well write the whole thing himself.

You can view this article one of two ways. The magazine is publishing incorrect information or the magazine has informed me of widely held opinions I do not believe to be correct. As Vince said this is the time to step up and correct it or at least offer a different opinion. Maybe a disclaimer in the beginning of each magazine that these articles are submitted by fellow hobbyists telling us what has worked for them.

The Model A is a mechanically simple vehicle that has been around for over 80 years and one would think that every conceivable problem or failure has been written about and documented until the cows come home and another syllable should not have to be scripted would be the case. But I guess it is much more complex than that.

I will end with an applause for not only the magazine editors but newsletter editors as well. They are trying their best to make a product that will keep the club attractive to all members.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Richard Wilson

Being an editor is "NOT an easy job" as Kevin says. One can only imagine what they go through putting together each issue. It has to be a nightmare at times. Personally, I appreciate the effort of the authors and of the editors in presenting their articals whether I agree with them or not.

I went back and looked at the May/June 2012 Restorer with a critical eye. As a whole package, I feel that there was about a 50/50 content mix between "original" and "modified" stories. If my belief that a club magazine should reflect the interests of the club members and their Model A is correct, then the editor has done a good job.

Last edited by Richard Wilson; 05-07-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: additional observation
Old 05-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

One additional thought to what Jeff stated above is that for the majority of either club's membership, the only tangible item they receive for their annual membership expense is their club's magazine. When I was a kid, THAT was the only way most hobbyists received any printed information regarding their Model-A. Today I suspect that it is a very small percentage of the total membership base whom actually attend a National Meet where membership would be required to attend, ...and probably around 50% of each Nat'l Club's total membership is actually a member of a local region/chapter where that Nat'l membership would be a requirement for their participation in a local club. Therefore a club's perceived mission statement can easily be skewed and get off track by trying to cater to the perceived desires of their membership base.

While I don't think I would have a problem with it (probably because I wouldn't be a member), I believe it is feasibly possible for one of the two present Nat'l clubs to change their mission statement to become a Model A Ford Club owners association where everyone is welcome to participate as long as they have a Model-A ...period. That means as a member of that club, whether your Model-A is an authentically restored Model-A --or a chopped top Model-A with a small-block Chevrolet engine, their mission is to solely promote the ownership and use of any type of Model-A. That mindset would easily be perceived as "preservation" by some Model-A owners because it ensures that a Model-A is being driven in some sort of format.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
Richard Wilson

"That mindset would easily be perceived as "preservation" by some Model-A owners because it ensures that a Model-A is being driven in some sort of format."

Wow Brent just described over 90% of the Model A owners that I know personally.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
brum1

I find both magazines to be a great benefit to the hobby. In order for them to thrive they need to reflect the membership and by soliciting articles/opinions they do just that. Some articles I gloss over but certainly give credit to the folks who contribute.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
ctlikon0712

I think I understand Kevin's point. I personally haven’t read the article. But I see where some might take the article as scripture and follow the instructions without thought. Especially if the article was titled “What Henry forgot to do”. But I also see that many contributed articles wouldn't be written if the writers knew that their works would be rewritten. Maybe a little more of a disclaimer should have been added in to the preface of the article, or a different title.
Example: One man's fix for troublesome break shafts. ?
Old 05-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #12
H. L. Chauvin

This type of thing happens "every" day.

I am so accustomed to it after over half a century of designing, it brings me smiles as opposed to frustration.

For example, the 1927/1928 Ford Design Team started with a blank sheet of white paper, with very little design time, to totally aesthetically & mechanically re-design "several" vehicles including trucks etc.

In the 21st century, it is similar to a design team starting with a white, blank computer monitor screen spending hours to design a new space craft to leave earth & return safely.

Millions watch the space craft depart & return on TV -- nothing at all spectacular, they all have enough brains to operate an electric dishwasher.

Then here comes one person to announce to the space center CEO & the entire world that if the new space craft floor mat were white in lieu of grey, it would be easier to find a black pen on the floor while in flight.

One can imagine Ford's priority given a distributor shaft oil hole.

Still smiling.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
Old182

FWIW I agree completely with Frank. An editor has a thousand things to do getting a national magazine put together; rewriting or changing text is off the table. I submitted an article on engine oils for Model As a few years ago and expected it to be printed exactly as I submitted it (which it was - to the letter). An editor would be well within his or her rights to "edit" out a paragraph for space reasons offering a final proof reading to the author before printing, but to rewrite any of the text would necessarily add the editor's name as one of the authors. In a previous life I wrote technical letters and articles. When my boss changed some of my text to his style, I strongly suggested he sign it as well since it was no longer my work. It might sound prissy, but changing someone's writing is the same as changing someone's artistic drawing. By and large, our articles are written by amateurs who offer their opinions (hopefully after a fair amount of research) as a means to help others either understand something better or show a better way to fix a problem. Our editors, God bless 'em, do their best to present our work in a pleasing format - and they are very good at it. But I don't believe they're qualified to correct all articles with technically incorrect information in them and a blanket disclaimer as to content accuracy would be a good solution.
Old182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
mothy

I do not know so much about USA cars, but in the UK the design life from the 30s to the late 60s for a car was about 5 years. There is money to be made in making people buy another new car.... So, seeing old (60 years plus) cars running now reliably is a marvel to me. Although I always thought of Ford in the UK over the years as being bomb proof!
It appals me now, when I was in the motor trade in the 1960s to see so many cars of different manufacturers built in say 1964, fit for the breakers in 1969 due to rust.
Yet so many are rude about the "Prince of Darkness" - Lucas, but consistently the repro parts do not come up to the orginal specification. This was yet another set of products which was built for a short life but can well exceed that.
Hope this makes some sort of sense.
Roly
mothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
Richard/Ca

IMHO which isn't worth much lately. I think the article should have been like "Cures for this type for problems".What ever the problem might be. Then anyone can take the advice or leave it.
Richard/Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #16
modelAsteve

Do you have a trailer queen or a driver. If you don't want to do this to your car just flip the pages! Is it really worth all this?
modelAsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #17
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAsteve View Post
Do you have a trailer queen or a driver. If you don't want to do this to your car just flip the pages! Is it really worth all this?
It is to a neophyte Model A'er who is just coming into the hobby and wanting to learn something...this site is all about education, Pros and Cons...Right or Wrong...and it is Safety first with these 80 plus year old cars.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #18
H. L. Chauvin

I thought this gentleman's article was esceptionally well written, detailed, & illustrated. Also, comments from Kevin & others are well taken & most understandable.

This was a no doubt a most sincere, very time consuming generous contribution by him to this Model A hobby. And we all know he did it for free.

In my opinion, neither the author nor the editors had any intentions of hurting anybody's feelings with this title or the take it or leave it modifications.

How many times have we all said or written something that "unintentionally" may have rubbed a nerve; however, afterwards, that which has been said, canot be un-said; & what has been written & printed cannot be un-written & un-printed.

There will always be unforseen improvements for mechanical & electrical devices & equipment as more modern technology advances.

Some try them & some do not. Opinions keep this Model A hobby interesting.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #19
jkcrosson

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
I thought this gentleman's article was esceptionally well written, detailed, & illustrated. Also, comments from Kevin & others are well taken & most understandable.

This was a no doubt a most sincere, very time consuming generous contribution by him to this Model A hobby. And we all know he did it for free.

In my opinion, neither the author nor the editors had any intentions of hurting anybody's feelings with this title or the take it or leave it modifications.

How many times have we all said or written something that "unintentionally" may have rubbed a nerve; however, afterwards, that which has been said, canot be un-said; & what has been written & printed cannot be un-written & un-printed.

There will always be unforseen improvements for mechanical & electrical devices & equipment as more modern technology advances.

Some try them & some do not. Opinions keep this Model A hobby interesting.

Well said sir.
jkcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #20
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAsteve View Post
Well, I do both but what difference it make? The thrust of the topic (as I saw it) was publishing false or misleading information without quantifying it as opinion or limited use. Are you suggesting that misleading information is fine if it's a driver? I personally don't think so.

With that said I'm not blasting the editor as he's not, and should not be expected to be an expert in all aspects of the hobby.