Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
Gold Digger

Default Tudor front sets

I have a 1930 Tudor with the original seats. On a long drive I notice that I'm sort of fighting a battle to stay in the center of things with the original coil springs in the seats. Is this something anyone else has encountered and if so what's the cure. I'm not so concerned about the passenger seat but have kicked around the thought of putting zig-zag springs in but would like to here if someone else has ever tried this or is there something better.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #2
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Tudor front sets

I'd put in some "modern" Bucket Seats. Just go to your Wrecking Yard & "test" some.

Bill Comfy
Old 06-23-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
Tacoma Bob

I did exactly that using the no-sag (zig zag) springs. I will try to post pictures of the build. WORLD of difference. It was time consuming but soooooooo worth it.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:31 PM   #4
Tacoma Bob

[attach][attach][attach]Seats done.jpg[/attach][/attach][/attach]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat frame.jpg (37.8 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Seat springs.jpg (39.4 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg Seat padding.jpg (40.9 KB, 152 views)
Old 06-23-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
Gold Digger

Thanks. I'll try this when it cools down. Can't stand the heat this summer. I'm usually in Alaska in the summer.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:29 PM   #6
Tacoma Bob

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Digger View Post
Thanks. I'll try this when it cools down. Can't stand the heat this summer. I'm usually in Alaska in the summer.
Hope the pics make sense. I used the smaller gauge no-sags. I used 4 per cushion but three probably would have worked. I'm a big boy so went for 4. I just did the cushions and re did the backrests per stock. I used a firmer density high quality foam on top of the auto carpet padding. The actual pleat foam was 3/4 inch hand stuffed. Do not use cheap foam. Buy the best.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:28 PM   #7
Pete

I used Honda Prelude seats. They are 6 way adjustable (not power)and mount on the same brackets as the original seats.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:44 PM   #8
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I used Honda Prelude seats. They are 6 way adjustable (not power)and mount on the same brackets as the original seats.
Hi Pete! long time no talk. Need to ring you up and shoot the breeze. Been too long!
Old 06-23-2018, 09:26 PM   #9
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob View Post
Hi Pete! long time no talk. Need to ring you up and shoot the breeze. Been too long!
Yes, I guess reports of your demise were highly exaggerated.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:15 AM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Yes, I guess reports of your demise were highly exaggerated.
In a PINCH, you can P.M, Me & the Dog, we're still ALIVE!
Bill W. & Buster T.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #11
wmws
BANNED

My car is a 28 Tudor. The left side of my drivers seat seemed a little saggy and the passengers seat seemed OK. So I just switched seats and all is OK.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:04 PM   #12
Corley

Elvira's seats are SOO uncomfortable. She is a '28 Tudor. The bottoms make you feel like you are about to fall off of a teeter totter, and the backs are way too straight up and down. It was like sitting on the floor trying to see out until I raised them about 3 inches, and moved them back about 2 inches. At least now it is tolerable for short runs, but after a couple hours, you just want out of there.

Lots of solutions to fix this, none really fun to implement though. But I wonder what a tall guy like Henry was thinking? How could he even fold his body up into that space? Why???
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:54 PM   #13
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
Elvira's seats are SOO uncomfortable. She is a '28 Tudor. The bottoms make you feel like you are about to fall off of a teeter totter, and the backs are way too straight up and down. It was like sitting on the floor trying to see out until I raised them about 3 inches, and moved them back about 2 inches. At least now it is tolerable for short runs, but after a couple hours, you just want out of there.

Lots of solutions to fix this, none really fun to implement though. But I wonder what a tall guy like Henry was thinking? How could he even fold his body up into that space? Why???
Pete has the easiest solution. In my case I'm a long time auto/furniture trimmer so it was the easiest for me. Personally I like the look of the stock seats so away I went. I'm not sure what bone yard buckets go for these days but in the past they were never cheap in the Seattle market.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:39 AM   #14
M2M

Quote:
Pete has the easiest solution. In my case I'm a long time auto/furniture trimmer so it was the easiest for me. Personally I like the look of the stock seats so away I went. I'm not sure what bone yard buckets go for these days but in the past they were never cheap in the Seattle market.
Just wondering; is there a reason why no one has suggested buying new seat springs from Snyder's? Is there a problem with them? Are they firmer or softer than good original seat springs?

Tacoma Bob, would it be possible to place and secure those zig zag springs over existing seat springs?

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:16 AM   #15
Big hammer

My late 31 seats had chain maul ? on top of the springs. I replaced with Synders springs and a double layer of burlap on top of them. The new springs are stiffer than the 80 year old springs, but the outer sides of the old spring where worn out. The chain maul? was broken up, little piece of it would stick me in the behind :-(
Old 06-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #16
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
Just wondering; is there a reason why no one has suggested buying new seat springs from Snyder's? Is there a problem with them? Are they firmer or softer than good original seat springs?

Tacoma Bob, would it be possible to place and secure those zig zag springs over existing seat springs?
Dang it. I just wrote a response and it did not post. Anyway the zig-zag (aka no-sag) needs a very sturdy frame so no you could not do a retro fit. The Tudor seat was designed for depression era skinny butts. There is little in the way of proper support for the lumbar spine and pelvis. Thank God we have Snyders but from what I have heard and seen they are either to hard or too soft. Having said that I'm not a fine point guy and don't have the original air in my tires either but I think using hi quality foam both on top of the springs and in the pleats or plain covers for that matter would make all the difference in the world. Many will advise against using foam and complain that it deteriorates. Don't buy into that.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:11 PM   #17
JtownJoe

What year Prelude seats work the best?
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:23 PM   #18
JtownJoe

Yes, I have the same issues with my front seats, just not very comfortable on any longer drives. I hate the thought of putting in modern seats so I'm going to explore my options on having them redone but I don't see any improvement on the table for lower back support.
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:30 AM   #19
M2M

Quote:
Dang it. I just wrote a response and it did not post. Anyway the zig-zag (aka no-sag) needs a very sturdy frame so no you could not do a retro fit. The Tudor seat was designed for depression era skinny butts. There is little in the way of proper support for the lumbar spine and pelvis. Thank God we have Snyders but from what I have heard and seen they are either to hard or too soft. Having said that I'm not a fine point guy and don't have the original air in my tires either but I think using hi quality foam both on top of the springs and in the pleats or plain covers for that matter would make all the difference in the world. Many will advise against using foam and complain that it deteriorates. Don't buy into that.

Adding quality foam that's dense and firm to the top of the springs was what I was thinking. How thick a layer would you suggest?

I guess another option would be to replace the old seat springs using just a thick layer of firm quality foam. Someone here reported doing just that (he used 8" thick foam) with good results.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #20
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
Adding quality foam that's dense and firm to the top of the springs was what I was thinking. How thick a layer would you suggest?

I guess another option would be to replace the old seat springs using just a thick layer of firm quality foam. Someone here reported doing just that (he used 8" thick foam) with good results.
I do know some street rod trimmers that use solid foam. I would think it is done by laminating different densities. Modern cars and trucks have been done this way for a long time. The important thing to understand is foam characteristics are much like steel springs. There are different compression and rebound rates. Two inches of one foam may be hard as a rock and four inches of another may sink like a rock. Most upholstery shops have samples (usually 12 inch squares) and anywhere from one inch thick to four inches. One really needs to experiment to find the best comfort. IMHO if the cushion spring assembly is in good shape and stabilized to keep your pelvis from wobbling and correct foam is added it will make a world of difference. I would look at a "medium firm" for the cushion and perhaps a medium for the backrest. Once you butt is comfy your lumbar spine and back will thank you.