Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-04-2016, 10:10 PM   #1
Floats

Default Replacement cam gear

Hi Guys,
I need to replace a worn/noisy cam gear.
Any suggestions re aluminum, fiber or laminated? I notice that they come in STD, 003 and 005 sizes. How would one know which one to order?
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:15 PM   #2
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Replacement cam gear

As far as noise, and/or longevity, lots depends on:

1. The present condition of your existing crank gear, which is not mentioned; &.

2. Who manufactured your present crank gear, which is not mentioned.

3. When faced with unknowns, new non-metal timing gears may be a better temporary choice if noise alone is a factor.

4. If noise "plus' longevity is a factor, you could replace the crank gear and install a new "matching" metal timing gear, with both manufactured by Mr. McEachern.

5. Most chose the cheap route and keep their fingers crossed that they never have to get towed because a hungry 80+ year old metal crank gear with barbed wire type teeth ate an innocent new non-metal timing gear while sight seeing 150 miles from home.

Just one opinion.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 10-04-2016 at 11:21 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:28 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I've used the original style cam gears in the past, but have just installed the first aluminum gear on one of my own engines. Won't run the engine until next year though, so no comment on the noise, but the standard size was a perfect fit. I spent a couple hours carefully sanding the rust off the crank gear before installing it, and I greased the gears to keep them nice and shiny until the engine is started.

Rust can quickly ruin a new gear no matter what it's made from.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:57 PM   #4
PC/SR

I prefer metal just to eliminate the risk of failure per above. You can measure the lash, which should be .003-.005 by taking off the side cam gear cover and measuring the backlash with a dial indicator on a tooth and move the gear by hand. If the lash is within those tolerances, get a STD gear. Otherwise get a larger one as needed. Otherwise take a chance and get a std gear, which is probably what you have, and hope the new gear takes up the worn play you now have. .003 and .005 is quite a bit of oversize. Dan McEachern makes metal gears with less oversize.
Too much play on a metal gear and you just get a rattle noise. Too much play on a fiber gear and it will eventually fail.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:42 AM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Chris,

Many things to consider in trying to answer your question; however, I forgot to mention a few other things:

a. Lots of crankshaft gear changing decisions depends on whether or not the Model A engine is out of the car, easily accessible, and easier to remove.

b. Also helps to know how long it took for your metal crank gear to dine on your fiber timing gear and wear it out enough until it made noise.

c. Hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:54 AM   #6
Lawrie

TOO tight cam gears will also cause lots of drama,ask me .I know,Knocks and whines etc,
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:39 AM   #7
john charlton

The cam gear in my 31 coupe was very noisy . The noise turned out to be that the old style gear which had the metal centre had parted company with the fibre outer . The gear had a few chunks out most likely caused by the outer flopping about .The intact teeth showed no visual wear so I replaced it with a cheap and cheerfull "macerated" one (the only one I had in the "stores") No doubt it will wear out quicker than a laminated one but as I am 77 years old I think I will wear out quicker !!!

John in sunny Suffolk County England Also had many sunny days in Camps Bay in my youth great times on Camps Bay Long Beach . Once I paddled a tin canoe from Camps bay to Seapoint with no lifejacket but didnt tell my Dad .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:50 AM   #8
Indiana A. Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana A. Lover

John I enjoy your posts very much. I hope you are enjoying the late summer drives. The trees are really putting on a show with all the colors of fall. well have a good drive and I will be thinking of you! Don from Corn Fields of Indiana.
Indiana A. Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:04 AM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

Minervas' BRONZE gear was slightly noisy, but gradually became super quiet, in about 8,000 miles.
Bill W.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
H. L. Chauvin

As we enjoy the autumn of our days on earth, and at the ages of most Model A drivers today in 2016 ...... on second thought ...... if your timing gear or any other Model A item is very noisy:

A. One (1) of the fastest and most efficient "Senior Fixes" that quietens these noises is to remove our hearing aids; and,

B. Besides, most Model As have been known to outlive their owners; and furthermore,

C. Why in this world should we worry?
Old 10-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #11
john charlton

The best thing for me is driving a model A over grass .Every year I attend a "steam rally" at a local country estate which is grassed parkland ,for some reason it seems better in an open car ,could be I am a little nutty!!! . For me the best looking part of a model A is the 30/31 stainless headlamp especially with the English lavender coloured lens also the 19" wheel which is close second .OK I confess I am a closet nutter !!!

John in cool autumnal Suffolk County England ,I have a North American pin oak in my garden (brought in to England by the Victorians) which is about to give me some American fall colors !!!
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:01 PM   #12
Floats

Thanks everyone,
You inputs are much appreciated.
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #13
Bruce

A famous -- and preferred -- Model A engine builder says that the fiber timing gear is the "fuse" in the Model A engine. If something goes terribly wrong the steel gear sheers the teeth off the soybean gear and keeps the whamback shaft from bustin' the b'jabers out of the cast iron bits. (I am speculating what might break if there was a drastic lockup.
I bought the concept and the fiber gear. I do not want to test the hypotheses on one of our engines, though.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote