Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #61
Karl Wescott

Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pilger View Post
..."Today, I see a real decent original 34 speedometer for $375. An original, but rechromed 34 windshield frame for $1600, a pair of flathead intakes for $225 each and a box of 10 spark plugs for $115."...
To comment on Ron Pilger original post: Speedometers are not reproduced, likely the cost of having the "average" original completely rebuilt would be well over the price for the used one.

Reproduction 1933-34 (and 1935-36) roadster windshield frames chromed will be costing in the 800.00-1000.00 range (with good custom chrome) and limited availability. Plus the cross section of the repro frames is not accurate to original, so will be easily seen as "incorrect" if the restoration is judged. Original frames rot out very easily so are scarce. So the higher price will help preserve the limited number of original frames to those who truly know and should be also willing to invest in storage and maintenance. "Driver" cars should use the repro frames.

Stock intake manifolds are not reproduced, who knows if the price/reproduction cost will ever justify a reproduction... which will tend to stabilize prices ("OH MY ***, Look how much the repro is, I have 70 i will sell at half that!). If those spark plugs are of a style that is no longer produced (even if there are functional replacements) you will be hard pressed to find others.

I see too often people who should be enjoying this (or other) hobby become and ego trip, or destructive envy. This takes away the fun from those who have a shared enjoyment of cars. I respect those who belly up to the bar and pay the price for what they want, or walk away without regret. Consider the time honored swap meet rules... for used/original parts always ask more than you will take, and never pay the asking price! (and respect the reproduction parts dealer who does not dicker... each customer gets the same deal as the next).

The price of a part is what a buyer and seller agree on at a particular moment. If it does not sell then its not worth the asking price. I respect that.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:10 PM   #62
mike in tucson

My opinion: The free market determines the prices. IF the hobby is dying, there should be many more 32 Ford grille shells available, making the selling prices drop because of competition. I remember in the 1970 era, people asked $100 for a nice grille shell and there were those who were aghast at the inflated prices. Now, a grille shell may be offered for $1000 or so......gee, I didn't have $100 back then but I sure have $1000 now.....go figure.
mike in tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #63
aonemarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
To comment on Ron Pilger original post: Speedometers are not reproduced, likely the cost of having the "average" original completely rebuilt would be well over the price for the used one.

Reproduction 1933-34 (and 1935-36) roadster windshield frames chromed will be costing in the 800.00-1000.00 range (with good custom chrome) and limited availability. Plus the cross section of the repro frames is not accurate to original, so will be easily seen as "incorrect" if the restoration is judged. Original frames rot out very easily so are scarce. So the higher price will help preserve the limited number of original frames to those who truly know and should be also willing to invest in storage and maintenance. "Driver" cars should use the repro frames.

Stock intake manifolds are not reproduced, who knows if the price/reproduction cost will ever justify a reproduction... which will tend to stabilize prices ("OH MY ***, Look how much the repro is, I have 70 i will sell at half that!). If those spark plugs are of a style that is no longer produced (even if there are functional replacements) you will be hard pressed to find others.

I see too often people who should be enjoying this (or other) hobby become and ego trip, or destructive envy. This takes away the fun from those who have a shared enjoyment of cars. I respect those who belly up to the bar and pay the price for what they want, or walk away without regret. Consider the time honored swap meet rules... for used/original parts always ask more than you will take, and never pay the asking price! (and respect the reproduction parts dealer who does not dicker... each customer gets the same deal as the next).

The price of a part is what a buyer and seller agree on at a particular moment. If it does not sell then its not worth the asking price. I respect that.
Now there's the truth!!
Dont suppose you have a pic of the windshield frames to show the difference, im just curious about it....
aonemarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:43 PM   #64
Merc Cruzer

Maybe they could make a TV series out of these posts! At least they are real.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:55 PM   #65
Barry-ct

39- you are right. My Mom and Dad called it that. Too many networks and not enough decent content. I watch 1 or 2 shows on the major networks and almost nothing on the minor networks. It may have a different name on it, but the scripts are all the same. No imagination, but plenty of fake drama. News is slanted depending on which network you watch ( let's not go there ). I go out and fix lawn equipment to try to make a buck to spend on the truck. House bills get in the way of buying what I need. `As I get older, there's not hours in the day to do what I want or need to do. I can't blame it on age, it's just that the days are getting lot shorter than when I was 20!

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:22 PM   #66
itslow

If the hobby is dying and prices are dropping on cars, why are so many folks dragging 4-doors out of barns and fixing them up to drive? They used to be passed over without a second thought. Seems to me if things were on the downward spiral you'd be seeing fewer and fewer of the oddball makes/models and less desirable body styles.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 PM   #67
aonemarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post
If the hobby is dying and prices are dropping on cars, why are so many folks dragging 4-doors out of barns and fixing them up to drive? They used to be passed over without a second thought. Seems to me if things were on the downward spiral you'd be seeing fewer and fewer of the oddball makes/models and less desirable body styles.
Didnt you know?? 4 doors and station wagons are the in thing now.
aonemarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:48 AM   #68
dwick01

I have a fordor and am proud of it. I don't see it as oddball or less desirable, JMHO.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:17 AM   #69
jimTN

There are some gougers on ebay but if you know the value of items, it appears everything is going up but at a slower rate than in the past when people were making good money on the job. Disposable income is way down these days.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #70
Rustedjunk

I've been in love with classic cars since I gazed upon a Time/Life magazine with a green 1936 Cord on the front. That was back in 1981 and I was 5 years old. I'm 39 now and getting into the hobby wasn't easy. Almost like running inside the house and catching your breath after being out in a rain storm. A lot of people my age have talked about going through the rings just to get the cars they want and parts. I admit, I settled when I bought my 47 Ford and I kind of regret it. I would have rather bought a Lincoln Continental Cabriolet from 1940 to 48 which has been my dream car from 13 years old, but trying to get someone to take me seriously has been an up hill battle so instead I bought a Porsche. Then my other dream car is a 1939 Ford Convertible Sedan I wanted since 10 years old. We're tiered of being told things like "when the top goes down, the price goes up" or "the reason the price is high is to keep y'all from ruining a great thing". Another reason why someone will walk away from one of our classics and easily dump $10,000 instantly into a rice burner. People my age and younger have money and will put it to what makes them happy. But between dealing with some stubborn classic car owners, and the Barrett Jackson mentality, I'm not surprised that there's very little interest in our cars from the younger audience. You have to pull teeth just to belong.
Rustedjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:38 AM   #71
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwick01 View Post
I have a fordor and am proud of it. I don't see it as oddball or less desirable, JMHO.
It wasn't meant to be an insult to owners of 4-doors. I have a wagon and also formerly had a 4-door sedan.

It's simply that the general consensus, though, has viewed the "more" door cars as less desirable than their two door counterparts. Hence, the much greater demand of, and availability of parts for, the two door models.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:57 AM   #72
JM 35 Sedan

Prices are NOT killing the hobby for me. I am having the time of my life with my old Fords, plus buying and selling their parts, and I am not a wealthy person in terms of $$$'s, but I am very wealthy in terms of having the greatest family I could ever ask for, and many many great friends, including many I have met because of being in this great hobby, and many whom I have met right here through the Fordbarn. That's all I care to say on this particular post, and hoping that all of you folks keep a positive attitude on this subject as well. Life is short....so have fun enjoying the things you enjoy doing.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #73
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by aonemarine View Post
Didnt you know?? 4 doors and station wagons are the in thing now.
That's the truth. Especially station wagons of any vintage or year. Who'd have thought that even 15 years ago? Early 60's Ford Country Squire wagons are all the rage in the Midwest today.................
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:51 AM   #74
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Prices are NOT killing the hobby for me. I am having the time of my life with my old Fords, plus buying and selling their parts, and I am not a wealthy person in terms of $$$'s, but I am very wealthy in terms of having the greatest family I could ever ask for, and many many great friends, including many I have met because of being in this great hobby, and many whom I have met right here through the Fordbarn. That's all I care to say on this particular post, and hoping that all of you folks keep a positive attitude on this subject as well. Life is short....so have fun enjoying the things you enjoy doing.
Well said. No complaints from me. For what it cost I get that much more out of it. It's just a hobby. Some folks like boating and have a boat, some folks like to travel the world, some people spend big money on hunting and fishing. I like early Fords and the good folks associated with them.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:00 PM   #75
Tony Martino

JM, Seth, Ron,
Well said by all 3.
I am in agreement.
I'll ad, I drive every car I own
as much as possible, and I will drive
any car I will have the good fortune to own.
Hence my "signature" below.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #76
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
So the higher price will help preserve the limited number of original frames to those who truly know and should be also willing to invest in storage and maintenance. "Driver" cars should use the repro frames.
That's a shocking statement - you are suggesting people who drive driver cars don't know the value of what they have and are somehow lesser people than those who invest in maintenance and storage - maybe they don't care about value... Maybe they just want to drive their car and enjoy it...
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #77
Rustedjunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemark View Post
That's a shocking statement - you are suggesting people who drive driver cars don't know the value of what they have and are somehow lesser people than those who invest in maintenance and storage - maybe they don't care about value... Maybe they just want to drive their car and enjoy it...
Thank you Weemark. That's the mentality that has younger folks say screw this, I'll put money into something newer and enjoy it.
Rustedjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #78
Karl Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustedjunk View Post
Thank you Weemark. That's the mentality that has younger folks say screw this, I'll put money into something newer and enjoy it.
Sorry guys, I may not have been totally clear. I am addressing the people with an ego trip who will destroy an irreplaceable original part for the sake of having it on a car for "brag" value. Those who take the necessary steps and effort to both preserve for the future and use (abiet in a driver car), I admire.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:23 AM   #79
big job

Prices old v/s new. Are we thinking points cond caps all that stuff is too much?
My points are like $27 cond $9 cap maybe 23-30$, which would be about 10 bucks in my day. Ok other day some 2015 shit box comes in that needs some stupid sensor in the fuel tank about 2hrs to drop tank another ?hrs to find the $150 plastic thing; ya
all reading this - 4hrs replace starter (as big as a beer can) on some rice burner
$300... that was another 4hrs jackin engine up and all this new foolishness. As said earlier I got rid of all this new crap and went back. And then one needs $20000 worth
of tooling another 20 or more thousand for diagnostic's. All i need is nothing. Old man ramblin again but fuel injection is reserved for diesels. We have 10 trucks both
gas fuel inj diesels contracted with the town in the winter...Who starts the fastest.
Diesel plugged in wait light on, injected gas jobs keep stalling my flatheads one turn and
put heater on and go back babysitting these new junks. Today getting ready moving trucks around WHY wait for glow plugs then after 20 cranks, then it starts rattling
when its only 85 degrees, not to mind being -10. so sitting all summer my two bag
337 F8's one turn F6 239 oh four turns and running. What I am trying to say is
all have maintenance sheets and the trusty F6 tune up was 1979. me bad and I never
walked or got towed since we established in 1952. However I understand this post
as to buy 33-34 parts remortgage the house or buy a windshield for a new motor home, again remortgage the house !! Guess how much the windshield for a 1949 coach is now?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WINDSHIELD.jpg (49.3 KB, 44 views)
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:14 PM   #80
drfrankenklein

Shipping is free also come pick them up!
drfrankenklein is offline   Reply With Quote