Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
jagnweiner

Default Steering Box Questions

Finally got my new-to-me '47 Mercury yesterday. I'm really loving it, but starting to work on the few issues I need to iron out. One of the top priorities is a worn steering box causing a huge amount of play in the steering. I've adjusted the screw which helped a bit, but leads me to a few questions:

1) when I started working on it, I noticed that the lock nut for the adjustment screw is gone. Washer was still sitting on it but nut is gone. Does anyone know what size and thread that nut is?
2) There is a wire coming out of the front of the box and running into a wiring harness. (See photo). What on earth is that for? I have no idea.
3) It's leaking. what are the most likely culprits?
4) I may try to rebuild it or I may send it out. I see "Mike" from NC advertises here and I've seen threads where a couple of people have said they are sending theirs to him for a rebuild, but haven't seen any reports of the finished products. Anyone have any feedback on Mike or anybody else that rebuilds boxes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (60.1 KB, 55 views)

'47 Mercury Convertible
'25 Dodge Bros. Touring Car
'63 MG Midget
jagnweiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:22 PM   #2
meric42

Default Re: Steering Box Questions

Tghe wire is for the horn button and goes right down the middle of the steering shaft

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:35 PM   #3
jagnweiner

Ah, that makes sense!

'47 Mercury Convertible
'63 MG Midget
Old 09-26-2016, 11:10 PM   #4
Drbrown

Haven't been there yet but personally, I'd vote for sending it out for rebuild. Only thing is you need to dismantle the steering wheel and column to do that but there's treads in the forums that help with that. There's one particular tread about what lubricant to use if you just concerned about leakage.

Nice Merc there. Have a '47 Ford coupe and love it .... a nice driver.

Just had that lock nut off the box tonight - can check it if you need. One thing I don't understand is that the steering box adjusting screw in my car is directly under the exhaust manifold and there's no way to get at it.

Last edited by Drbrown; 09-26-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:09 AM   #5
jagnweiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrown View Post

Just had that lock nut off the box tonight - can check it if you need. One thing I don't understand is that the steering box adjusting screw in my car is directly under the exhaust manifold and there's no way to get at it.
Yeah, it's not convenient. I've been able to get a screwdriver on about half the slot of the screw.

It would be helpful is you could check, unless someone else chimes in.

'47 Mercury Convertible
'63 MG Midget
Old 09-27-2016, 05:59 AM   #6
Frank Miller

I am not sure of the steering mechanism for your car but you also need to check the linkage and king pins. It all adds up.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:22 AM   #7
jagnweiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
I am not sure of the steering mechanism for your car but you also need to check the linkage and king pins. It all adds up.
Agreed. Everything else seems pretty solid, though.

'47 Mercury Convertible
'63 MG Midget
Old 09-27-2016, 09:15 AM   #8
1stford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrown View Post
Haven't been there yet but personally, I'd vote for sending it out for rebuild. Only thing is you need to dismantle the steering wheel and column to do that but there's treads in the forums that help with that. There's one particular tread about what lubricant to use if you just concerned about leakage.

Nice Merc there. Have a '47 Ford coupe and love it .... a nice driver.

Where would I find the post that talks about the lubricant, mine has just been rebuilt and has a small leak.
1stford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:32 AM   #9
jagnweiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stford View Post
Where would I find the post that talks about the lubricant, mine has just been rebuilt and has a small leak.
Not sure which threads talk about that, but I've seen several people recommend John Deere Cornhead Grease.

Edit: Here's a thread on the grease: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ighlight=Deere

Dr. Brown- No need to check yours. I found it it Mac's catalog and it is 9/16 x 18. Thanks.

'47 Mercury Convertible
'63 MG Midget

Last edited by jagnweiner; 09-27-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #10
rotorwrench

I don't think that adjuster nut is 9/16-18. That would be a big one. The original adjuster nut is P/N 78-3539-A. It's not a plain type nut. It's made to work in unison with the star washer to properly secure the sector shaft position. The threaded screw that the nut secures fits into a slot in the top of the sector shaft and there may be a problem with it. It's no wonder you have a lot of play since there is nothing to hold the position of the sector shaft without that nut and star washer being there. The OEM nut is a cap nut. It completely covers the threaded screw and locks it down.

That tube that the wire runs through can crack and cause leaks. The sector shaft seal is the most common offender of leakage.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-27-2016 at 10:05 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #11
jagnweiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I don't think that adjuster nut is 9/16-18. That would be a big one. The original adjuster nut is P/N 78-3539-A. It's not a plain type nut. It's made to work in unison with the star washer to properly secure the sector shaft position. The threaded screw that the nut secures fits into a slot in the top of the sector shaft and there may be a problem with it. It's no wonder you have a lot of play since there is nothing to position the sector shaft without that nut and star washer being there.
Hmm, well either way I ordered a replacement nut and screw today.

Edit: Yeah, you're right. 9/16 would be huge. Perhaps that was referring to the outer diameter.

'47 Mercury Convertible
'63 MG Midget

Last edited by jagnweiner; 09-27-2016 at 10:37 AM.