Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2020, 07:30 AM   #1
russcc

Default Mice in the rear quarter

Had a mouse croak at the bottom of the rear quarter area. Didn't know it was in the car until the stink became overwhelming. Got all the remains out carefully by hand with gloves. No vacuum cleaner. Sprayed bleach and water, and ran the ozone generator in the area for a couple days. Still stinks, and I think the odor may be in the seam sealer. Any suggestions to eliminate the stink. I don't want to mask it with perfume, just get rid of it. Thank you Fordbarners.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:37 AM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: Mice in the rear quarter

ammonia, place in pan and put car in sun with windows closed. you will have to air out car afterward, but this got rid of the burnt smell in my 40 tudor
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:51 AM   #3
john in illinois

"Biocide systems Auto Shocker" got rid of mouse smell after cleaning out nest in 2015 F150 air conditioner ducts. Follow their directions on can it absorbs the odor. I purchased it on internet, maybe Amazon. works 100%

John
Old 08-22-2020, 08:50 AM   #4
tubman

I was going suggest sticking a bunch of cloves in an apple, putting it in a pan of coffee (fresh from the container) and putting that in the car. I have to admit that "Biocide Systems Auto Shocker" sounds more effective.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:59 AM   #5
RKS.PA

russ, know exactly what you're dealing with!! If it were mine, and after you've gotten rid of the carcass, I'd spray febreze all over the area. (Yes, I know you said you don't want to mask it with perfume.) It's a Procter and Gamble product and they claim it actually eliminates orders rather than just covering them up. I've used it on dog urine and it works pretty good! It's easy to spray and not expensive. If it fails to your satisfaction, move on to the other solutions.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
philipswanson

That mouse might have had babies or a mate. You got A mouse but not necessarily THE mouse.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #7
1931 flamingo

Try charcoal. Be happy it was in the rear quarter and not the upholstery or headliner.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #8
russcc

Thanks for the ideas. Usually the ozone generator takes care of stuff like that, but I will try the ammonia or Biocide stuff. Phil, you are right, I was lucky it was in the rear quarter, and not the headliner since I just put it in. I hope it's the lone ranger. I know how it got in, and I had secured the points of entry, probably after the horse got into the barn, and that what killed it, it couldn't get out so it holed up.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #9
russcc

You all may be interested in this review of the Biocide Auto Shocker. It's the only negative one, but was for the same purpose as mine. Most of the others were for cigarette smoke & dead fish.

This product was easy to use but only made a...
3 years ago
This product was easy to use but only made a slight difference. It was used in an antique automobile that had a very strong mouse urine smell. After using per instructions new carpet was installed in the vehicle, but the is still a very noticeable smell.
1973lincoln · Reviewed on Home Depot
Old 08-22-2020, 01:03 PM   #10
F-ONE

You have to be careful with cleaners. Ammonia and bleach/Chlorine based products mixed together basically make poor mans mustard gas. It will kill you. It can create sulfuric acid in the lungs.
Use soap and water.
Bleach is a oxidizer and if you used a lot of it on the metal, it would be good idea to go back over the area with baking soda. This may help prevent rust out.
F-ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:12 PM   #11
Aarongriffey

Pour four gallons of gasoline back there and drop a match in it.
I read recently that used T bags will keep mice away. Worth a try.
You gotta be careful around the hand brake lever. They can squeeze through a quarter inch space.
I left a space under a door so the neighbor’s cats could get in a small one car garage.
The cats crapped in the crack between the rear seat cushion and the backrest on my ‘26 touring. Now the car and the garage smells like cat crap.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #12
G.M.

How about a Furret? G.M.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #13
russcc

Update on the stink removal. I got rid of it by cleaning the area with a HD detergent called tough stuff, locally available. Thoroughly rinsed the area with sponge and fresh water, then used solution of beach and water, and again rinsed it. Dried the area with the heat gun, and ran the ozone generator aimed directly at the area overnight. In the am the rear quarter smelled clean, but there was still a faint stink in the car, likely in the upholstery. I will get that by running the ozone generator located up high, (ozone is heavier than air), with a fan to circulate it in the car.
I scribed a template of the rear quarters curvature and made a bulkhead plate to block off the rear quarter from the trunk area. Eventually I will sound proof the bulkhead, and clad it with metal. Still have to figure out how to block off the upper areas from the trunk. see photo of rear quarter with lower bulkhead in place.

Last edited by russcc; 02-23-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:29 AM   #14
russcc

Also, I was lucky the mouse rotted in the bottom of the quarter that is mostly metal, with some undercoat and seam sealer, which made it easier to clean. I will never leave the floor boards out or trunk open in the future. I plugged even the smallest holes in the driver's side floor board like dimmer sw & accelerator pedal.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:38 PM   #15
oldford2

[B]Mice are mighty sneaky and squeeze in the smallest crack to find a home for the winter. I just opened up a 4 speed transmission. The shift lever had been removed so the opening on the top was an easy trip. The inside gears (no oil in it)were stuffed almost to the top with pink fiberglass insulation .The transmission had laid in a barn for several years. So, this winter the little guy will have to find a new home.
John
B]
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote