Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2020, 11:10 PM   #1
motordr

Default 32 Fordor Interior

I’m installing an L-B interior in my 32 standard Fordor. Having some issues getting the rear quarter panels to stay put. Looking for suggestions please. The forward portion of the panel needs to conform or wrap around the wheel well and the upholstery nails will not hold it. Any advice appreciated!
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:08 AM   #2
TJ

Default Re: 32 Fordor Interior

Sounds like the tack strips are bad. If original they probably need to be replaced by now.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:29 AM   #3
DavidG

Is the problem that the nails (brads) won't hold in the wood insert in the dog leg of the wheelhouse or that they pull through the foundation cardboard of the upholstery?
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:26 AM   #4
motordr

The wood is original and very solid, the problem is the panel board is flat and stiff and has to be made to conform to the wheel well contour. The finishing nails pull through the board.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:57 AM   #5
DavidG

All of the bodies with four doors have basically the same challenge when attaching the front of the upholstery quarter panel as the upholstery panel has to bend around the wheelhouse. If the wood is good then perhaps the density of the cardboard foundation isn't sufficient to hold the heads of the nails, which I've never encountered with LeBaron Bonney foundation cardboard. That's no help to you, however. Two possibilities would be to steam the back of the cardboard where it needs to be bent and curve it enough to relieve the strain on the nails so that they don't pull through and/or peel back the glued-down outer fabric along the edge and install tacks with larger heads into the cardboard, reattach the outer fabric and using a small block of clean, flat, and smooth hardwood against the fabric to prevent damage from the larger tack heads, drive the tacks into the wood.

Last edited by DavidG; 01-25-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:03 AM   #6
32phil

I had the same problem when I installed a LB kit in my Fordor and now with a Tudor kit I am installing. I pre bent the panels before I tacked them in. They have to be bent further then where they will actually be in order to stay where you want them.
There were no visible trim screws or fasteners installed by the factory..... so using one or two is not an option if you are concerned about 100% originality. I have used a few in hidden areas to help hold the panels in place, especially on the upper quarters on the sides of the rear window. They must be placed below the top of the rear seat back rest.
I bent them by hand repeatedly until they began to take the shape I wanted. Time and patience is your friend here.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:37 PM   #7
DavidG

The bending, with or without steam (let the cardboard dry thoroughly before installing if using steam), will go a lot easier if you do not fight the tensile strength of the upholstery fabric. Just peel the fabric off the back on the edge that you're bending and reattach it with contact cement (lightly applied) once you've bent the cardboard to where you want it. Do not be intimidated by peeling back the fabric and re-gluing it as that how it is attached in the first place.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:51 PM   #8
motordr

Thank you gentlemen, I’m encouraged to carry on!