Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #1
52flthed

Default Vintage battery kill switch?

What does a period correct one look like if there was ever such a thing? Any pictures, sources or advice on their use ; pros and cons?
52flthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:28 PM   #2
slowforty

Default Re: Vintage battery kill switch?

I used a copper lever switch. It works a lot better than the green wheel switch. No parts to melt if you crank your starter too long. Available on E-Bay or amazon. check for best price
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:39 PM   #3
corvette8n

I found a nos Cole Hersee switch made in Boston for my ‘41 Ford.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5738A885-44DE-4AB4-907A-A92F9BA8FE55.jpg (27.0 KB, 450 views)
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:46 PM   #4
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
I found a nos Cole Hersee switch made in Boston for my ‘41 Ford.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:07 PM   #5
51 MERC-CT

This is my period correct battery disconnect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrench.JPG (38.9 KB, 374 views)
Old 09-16-2021, 07:31 AM   #6
russcc

Cole-Hersee has always been the gold standard, and there old made in USA ones out there if you are looking for patina. New ones are made in Mexico.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:45 AM   #7
big job

Whats so vintage about a kill switch? go any where and get one. This switch doesn't care about voltage all my machines have those from Napa...
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:32 PM   #8
52flthed

Thanks for the responses so far.. The knife switch seems to most promising so far. The C.H. switch is attractive but I believe those have to be mounted? I prefer something local to the battery. Yes the green knob kind Ive had problems with years ago and Ive read a lot of negative things about them. A wrench is not a good idea as it would wear out the soft battery post and terminal and cause connection problems. If anyone has any pictures of their knife switch or Cole H. Switch I would love to see how you've mounted them. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:38 PM   #9
paul2748

Always used a 1/2 wrench as my battery disconnect. Never heard of wearing out the battery post ??????. Been doing it for years, never wore out a battery post or the clamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52flthed View Post
Thanks for the responses so far.. The knife switch seems to most promising so far. The C.H. switch is attractive but I believe those have to be mounted? I prefer something local to the battery. Yes the green knob kind Ive had problems with years ago and Ive read a lot of negative things about them. A wrench is not a good idea as it would wear out the soft battery post and terminal and cause connection problems. If anyone has any pictures of their knife switch or Cole H. Switch I would love to see how you've mounted them. Thanks.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:00 PM   #10
51504bat

If you want a terminal mount switch you might try to find one from an English car. They used to be repopped but its been a long time since I messed with English cars. If you do decide to go this route and you do find one it will be pricey. But they are pretty fool proof. Unlike the green knob ones that mount on a terminal post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YSLQBwCdpZgPGAYZGTDEumDUW.jpg (14.0 KB, 104 views)
Old 09-16-2021, 08:03 PM   #11
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52flthed View Post
A wrench is not a good idea as it would wear out the soft battery post and terminal and cause connection problems..
In the decades that I have been using a wrench to disconnect batteries as required, I have not seen any wear to the post or anything else.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:50 PM   #12
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34PKUP View Post
In the decades that I have been using a wrench to disconnect batteries as required, I have not seen any wear to the post or anything else.
I'll drink to that.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:51 PM   #13
52flthed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
If you want a terminal mount switch you might try to find one from an English car. They used to be repopped but its been a long time since I messed with English cars. If you do decide to go this route and you do find one it will be pricey. But they are pretty fool proof. Unlike the green knob ones that mount on a terminal post.
Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into it.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:06 PM   #14
52flthed

Im using a wrench now to disconnect the battery during periods of storage. Its NG.. I want the safety and convenience of a switch. And a switch that will look like it belongs in my truck. Thats why I posted this question.

I can already see wear on the post and terminal. This observation and eventual problem Ive read about on other forums which leads me to that conclusion. Sorry but no wrench for me.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:32 PM   #15
cas3

Personally, I turn my car off in the fall, and I start it up again in the spring. Many folks in the hobby like the disconnect switches, and many tell of the failures of the new modern junk they sell us. Those old CH switches have been around for about 75 years in every school bus and big trucks, if its an old still made in USA switch I'd say thats as good as it gets. If you want something cool, like on the dash of an old speedster, I would go with a Knife switch
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:06 AM   #16
Crankster

The cheap generic import battery replacement cable terminals will deform badly very quickly, the good stuff is always plated solid copper crimped terminals and don't suffer from this problem.

Disconnecting the battery (one way or another) is a good practice in the off season especially, what with vintage wiring, and also the possibility of rodents or vermin chewing on wiring. More than one car fire has started this way.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:07 AM   #17
52flthed

Yes I agree about the CH switches but I think they're mounted in a remote location away from the battery is that right? I was looking for something that switches near the battery. I had a little fire with an engine compartment light last year. Since then Ive had the whole truck re-wired as there were other symptoms of bad grounds and such with the lights. So being extra cautious here and thinking about disconnecting the battery as built in feature doesn't sound like a bad idea. Thanks for the ideas so far.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:27 AM   #18
Bob C

I think you are overthinking this. Just make a bracket to mount the switch on the
inner fender panel near the battery. Run a short cable from the battery to the switch
and another from the switch to where ever the original cable was bolted to ground.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:53 AM   #19
rotorwrench

Put a fuse kit for the starter switch buss connection terminal on there and pull the fuse out to disconnect. It may not be original but the fuse will certainly protect the cars wiring from eventual short circuits. A person could also wire it for an aircraft type resetable push pull type circuit breaker of the correct system amperage rating. This would make it easier to pull the breaker button and open the circuit for longer storage. A person would have to get creative to mount and protect it but it could be done pretty easy.

The fuse kit is less expensive than the circuit breaker for sure but either one is less expensive than a burned up car or even a burned up garage where the car may be stored.

I keep thinking I'm on the Model A Forum! Later cars already have either fuses or circuit breakers but a CDM type Klixon breaker might work as a shut off if close to the solenoid connection to the battery.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-17-2021 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Wrong forum
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:49 PM   #20
deuce lover

Here's a vintage one ,WWII variety.Fit it to the steering column.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/39357761115...MAAOSwTpdhQ-AI

And another true vintage:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22368123342...AAAOSwaIpb44uW

Last edited by deuce lover; 09-17-2021 at 02:58 PM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote