Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #21
supergnat

Default Re: Leatherback upper sheetmetal

Marco,
I am attaching photos of my Oct 28 leatherback top which which I just took a few minutes ago. It appears to have the Locktite binding but the top is faded black. Could this be original or was it an early replacement? I know that the color is not original.
Thanks,
Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5068.jpg (117.1 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5072.jpg (67.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5070.jpg (85.9 KB, 34 views)
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #22
supergnat

OOPS!! Here is the fourth photo which I forgot to attach (clarifies the color comment).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5071.jpg (68.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 03-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #23
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Turley View Post
Marco, thanks for confirming my suspicion that the top had been replaced. By the way, the new replacement LeBaron-Bonney black pebble grain top has the same incorrect stitch pattern as the one I am removing: rear curtain overlaps the side panel. At least this time, they furnished locktite binding rather than hidem welt.
I need to comment a little further. The overlap I was speaking of is where it is cut and tacked across the rear bow (at the hidem). That is dependent on the installer. As far as Locktite goes, LB substitutes "wire-on" binding. See the page of binding and roof moulding illustrations in Area-9. I've heard there is someone in the U.S. that will make a decent locktite binding for $20-25 per foot. Other than that I'm the only other person that has made it in about 75 years.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #24
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergnat View Post
Marco,
I am attaching photos of my Oct 28 leatherback top which which I just took a few minutes ago. It appears to have the Locktite binding but the top is faded black. Could this be original or was it an early replacement? I know that the color is not original.
Thanks,
Rich

Rich, that is a nice top! Are you sure it's "faded black" and not darkened brown from age? Is the engine number and/or the gas tank date 10/28?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #25
supergnat

Marco,
I was under the weather yeaterday but I looked for a date on the gas tank and couldn't find one. There is a a date on the driver side engine compatyment fire wall of 10-2-28. I have the original bill of sale from the dealer dated October 18, 1928. The car has the original engine and the S/N agrees with the bill of sale. There is a number (190-47238) on the frame visible under the floor mat on the passenger side of the car. Does that tell me anything more about the car? I don't think the body has ever been off so I cannot see the number under the cowl area. The visor is covered with black material. The top really looks like faded black to me. Is there a possiblility that Ford put a black top on some of the 28's? Also thanks for responding to my inquiry.
Thanks,
Rich
Old 03-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #26
Glenn C.

From what I understand, frame and firewall date stamping was discontinued, at least on the Briggs Body Sedans sometime during 1929.

I could add another curve to this neat debate....but I won't as yet !
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote