Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2021, 06:42 PM   #1
Russ B

Default Valve train disassembly question

I am taking apart the frame number matching motor for my cabriolet. I last had it running in 1963, so it is mostly locked up tight, but is slowly coming apart.

Crank and pistons are now out. All valve spring retainers are out. Seven of the valve springs are out. Six of 8 split valve guides and valves are out.

Two problems and a third looming

1 The Wilson valve guide removal tool worked like a champ on 6 assemblies, but will not fit on the 7th. It appears the guide has slipped down a bit and won’t let the valve come all the way up so the tool can fit over the valve. I won’t be reusing the exhaust valve again. Is the mushroom stem easily cut? If so, I can pull the valve out far enough to slip the Wilson tool in and remove the split guide. ...any other suggestions?

2. The 8th valve and spring are still in place. The valve is stuck in closed position and has resisted efforts to push a thin screwdriver between the lifter and mushroom head. All other valves came loose fairly quickly. I will continue using PB Blaster and oil, but would welcome additional suggestions.

3. The camshaft and tappets all appear to be stuck. With the block upside down, I imagine the tappets can be tapped away from the lobes. Suggestions on getting the shaft out, if it is still stuck would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help you might give.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:43 PM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: Valve train disassembly question

Could you use the cam nut adapter and a breaker bar to rotate the camshaft and break the tappets loose? They’ll have to be in the lifted position anyway if you want to remove the camshaft.

Folks will probably recommend “heat” as well.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:17 AM   #3
Bob Bidonde

Valves are not difficult to cut with a sharp reciprocating hacksaw blade / 4" angle grinder. I make tools out of the valve stems.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:16 PM   #4
Russ B

Thanks for the help. I finished disassembly today. The only thing damaged were a couple valves, one, I cut the stem, and the other, I used a vice grip on the head to break it loose. Once all the tappets were tapped aside, I used the cam nut tool and a breaker bar. Now I have a bare block to check for any problems. Tappets came out with no real problems.

The new cam nut tool would not fit over either the original cam nut, or a new nut I bought at the same time. It took a field modification to get the thing to fit. Whoever made the tool had a few wiggles in their cutting, and did not check it for a functioning hole.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote