Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
TagMan

Default '36 Window Regulator Restoration Question

I'm looking for advice on restoring the window regulators on my '36 3W. I removed them about 6-years ago when I started to restore the car and just removed them from their storage box last week to take some pics for another thread. I decided that as long as I had them out, I might as well start on them.

I removed the two springs and started washing off the years of grease & dirt on them and all the paint that was on them washed off with the solvent, so now I'm committed!

Everything else on the assembly appears to be rivited on to the mounting plate. To be able to get to the back of the gears to paint them, I'd have to drill out all the rivits, clean & paint, then try to rivit everything back together or bolt things together. Looking for suggestions / ideas on how others have restored these assemblies.

Thanks,
-Bob
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
rich b

Default Re: '36 Window Regulator Restoration Question

Clean them, repair any issues, paint them, crank them around when dry, paint the missed spots, oil them a little, and put aside for installation.

Taking them apart any more than needed for repair is not necessary. Don't worry about any small unpainted areas.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

I took my convert sedan ones apart, replaced drive gears, welded up teeth---- then I bought NOS, sold the repaired ones for twice what I paid for nos--- then I started on the door latches, --- carpenter had nos for less than springs cost, did take some searching for that last left front one though------ many time it costs less for nos than parts/ labor to fix old ones, and you end up with better operating

Last edited by Kurt in NJ; 08-14-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
TagMan

OK, thanks for the responses. Guess I was over-thinking things again.....

Thanks,
-Bob
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
Barn Junk

36s and 35s regulators and be tricky. Early ones had 6 mounting door screws to door and were similar (maybe the same as late 1935s). Later ones have 8 mounting screws. Check your doors for the ones you are needing. Also there were at least two different manufactures of the original units and then aftermarket replacements. If all the visible gear teeth look good you should be in good shape. The hand crank teeth/parts can be worn/stuck also but replacements should be available. Replacement hand crank parts may be available but be sure you get the correct replacement manufacturer for you units. Either 5 or 6 teeth shaft parts.
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote