Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
Russ B

Default new hinge mount mirror

It is hard to find an outside mirror that works well on a cabriolet as the hinge is a couple inches lower that those of other models.

I finally made my own.

I made a full sized pattern and had it cast in brass. My first time to ever try casting parts. a foundry did the actual casting.

Now I am shaping it to look like it was made for the car. Still a ways to go, but you can see where it is heading.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
160B

Default Re: new hinge mount mirror

Looks good. Here is two photos of the mirror on the drivers side. These mirrors were on my 1931 68B when I purchased it two years ago. The mirror mounts to the upper door hinge, I have one on both sides.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
1930artdeco

Hey if that will work on my sedan I may pony up some money for one. That is if you are planning to part with some.

Mike
Old 08-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
Russ B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
Looks good. Here is two photos of the mirror on the drivers side. These mirrors were on my 1931 68B when I purchased it two years ago. The mirror mounts to the upper door hinge, I have one on both sides.

Interesting! Looks like someone machined a one-off bracket for the car.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
Russ B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Hey if that will work on my sedan I may pony up some money for one. That is if you are planning to part with some.

Mike
The casting should be useable on most if not all A's, I think. My cabriolet hinges are just slightly thinner than either the ones on my closed cab or the ones on my coupe, and the coupe should be the same as a tudor, and the cabriolet the same as a four door. The raw casting has enough thickness around the hinge pin area to be cut for all of those hinges. I do not know about the open car hinges.

That said, I am not planning to get into the manufacturing business, but if several folks were interested, I could run another batch. I would only supply the raw castings, for the buyer to finish per his or her needs.

The castings need to be undercut (hollowed out) at the hinge, drilled for the hinge pin and mirror head, and threads cut for a set screw. The unfinished casting, once fitted could be simply painted for a commercial vehicle, but additional effort would be needed to shape and polish the piece if it were to be plated. In general, it takes real effort to get a finished mirror like this will eventually be. ...way too much time to do this for anything other than for personal enjoyment. ...way too expensive for someone else to do most of the work for you.

I did this for fun, to see if I could. I have never made anything for casting before. ...but I knew exactly what I wanted the mirror to look like. Each side for the molds was made from five pieces of oak.

It took me about 20 hours time to get the two finished pieces ready for the foundry. I have about the same amount of time in shaping one pair and cutting the hinge area on a second set. Each set gets easier to shape, but doing the reveal 'ball' just above the hinge is a real bear to do, and would not be at all needed for other cars, though I think it will look nice on the cabriolet.

The joy of retirement is I have all the time I want to spend on this sort of thing.

While this is not restoration, the part is an accessory that requires no modification to the car, and I think style-wise, it looks as if it could have been a period unauthorized accessory.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

If you start selling finished products I would be interested in buying a pair for my 29 Cabriolet !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

very nice work Russ you have a lot of time invested to manufacture those pieces. time demands a price and you may find some are to frugal to anty up the $$ for your hardwork.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
The casting should be useable on most if not all A's, I think. My cabriolet hinges are just slightly thinner than either the ones on my closed cab or the ones on my coupe, and the coupe should be the same as a tudor, and the cabriolet the same as a four door. The raw casting has enough thickness around the hinge pin area to be cut for all of those hinges. I do not know about the open car hinges.

That said, I am not planning to get into the manufacturing business, but if several folks were interested, I could run another batch. I would only supply the raw castings, for the buyer to finish per his or her needs.

The castings need to be undercut (hollowed out) at the hinge, drilled for the hinge pin and mirror head, and threads cut for a set screw. The unfinished casting, once fitted could be simply painted for a commercial vehicle, but additional effort would be needed to shape and polish the piece if it were to be plated. In general, it takes real effort to get a finished mirror like this will eventually be. ...way too much time to do this for anything other than for personal enjoyment. ...way too expensive for someone else to do most of the work for you.

I did this for fun, to see if I could. I have never made anything for casting before. ...but I knew exactly what I wanted the mirror to look like. Each side for the molds was made from five pieces of oak.

It took me about 20 hours time to get the two finished pieces ready for the foundry. I have about the same amount of time in shaping one pair and cutting the hinge area on a second set. Each set gets easier to shape, but doing the reveal 'ball' just above the hinge is a real bear to do, and would not be at all needed for other cars, though I think it will look nice on the cabriolet.

The joy of retirement is I have all the time I want to spend on this sort of thing.

While this is not restoration, the part is an accessory that requires no modification to the car, and I think style-wise, it looks as if it could have been a period unauthorized accessory.
I complement you on your ability to prepare a pattern for metal casting; this is becoming a lost art and requires tremendous creative skills plus the knowledge of metal casting and shrinkage. I tip my hat to you, job well done!!

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #9
Russ B

Got the hinges drilled and mirror heads drilled and put them on and took a ride to the gas station. I still need to do some set screws. Nice location for mirrors.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:57 AM   #10
nickair

Very nice. I would be interested.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
L.D.

I have 40 horses in the garage.
Only feed them when I want to take them out.

31 Model A Tudor 55B

Nick
nickair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:08 AM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

You might consider contacting Snyders, Macs or Brattons and selling your design or services to them so that your prototype can be mass produced. You obviously have significant skill and talent.
Wayne.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Agree, very nice work.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
Ray in La Mesa

Beautiful, i would be interested in a pair if you decide to make a run. RayinLaMesa
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #14
JohnLaVoy

Looks very well thought out. I would be interested in doing an article in the Model A Times on them when you get done. Send me a PM if you are interested.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #15
Terry,NJ

Verry Nice! Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #16
bluedog

Exactly what I am looking for
Lovely craftsmanship!
bluedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #17
Russ B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
Exactly what I am looking for
Lovely craftsmanship!
Thank you.

Progress is slow, but I expect to get mirror plated soon and on the painted car by about February, more or less. I will post a new photo then.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:07 PM   #18
Russ B

Today, I got my mirror arms back from the plater and installed them.

As of now, I do not expect to cast more arms as the foundry has closed and I do not currently know of another foundry within a reasonable drive as of yet.

Paint color is Andalusite Blue, slightly modified, just a bit less black in formula.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:22 PM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

Those are mint mirror brackets.
Sure too bad how many business places have closed.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:54 PM   #20
Y-Blockhead

Russ, you should be very proud of your mirrors. You did an excellent job on them. And they are unique to your car.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote