Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
barnfind

Default 36 Coupe Window Regulators - what do I have

I am trying to put togeher a working set of window regulators for a 36 5 window coupe. The winder gear was broken on the reg I removed from a spare door so I found a set of NOS(probably NORS) stock regulators labeled as 36 4 door front so I thought I was in hog heaven.
The smaller regulator (rusty) came out of the spare and the black reg is obviously the new regulator.

Anyone know what it might actually fit? Looks like it could work if I cut a hole for the winder but I was wondering if the new one might be a 35 or something.
I may be able to just replace the winder gear on the old one as well if I can not find exact replacements.

Found some repro window channels and ordered those as well.
Also,Should it cut off the large extension and weld it to the reproduction window channel? The old ones are probably too rusty to try to reuse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36Windowregs.jpg (82.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 36Windowchnls.jpg (78.0 KB, 61 views)
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Gary Tosel

Default Re: 36 Coupe Window Regulators - what do I have

The top regulator is for a 35 Ford Coupe or Fordor front door. The bottom is for a 36 Ford Coupe, but has only one coil spring. Both of my door window regulators have two springs, but there may be more than one manufacturer. The top channel is not for a 28-38 Ford according to the Automotive Hardware and Trimming Supplies manual. The bottom channel is correct for 35-36 Fords and they are left and right hand. Also, the location of the channel on the glass is VERY important, ask me how I know.
Gary Tosel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
barnfind

Interesting - the top regulator and top window channel came out of a door removed from a 36 four door and the inside panel looks identical to the 36 coupe door panel I am trying to put together. In order to use the bottom regulator, I will have cut a hole for the winder handle.
I could see where channel/glass relationship would be very important.
I was thinking about cutting some hardboard glass patterns to play around with the setup.
Any thoughts on the interior door panel diffs 35 to 36 or coupe versus fordoor?
The coupe is definitely a 36 and original doors best I can tell.
Unfortunately the original regulators and channels were gone when I got it.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Barn Junk

I believe there was some carry over of the 35 door ,regulators and door latches into the early 36 production. That is probably the confusion. If the teeth on the large gears of the 35 regulator are good, you may be able to clean it up and get a repair kit for it. There were two different manufactures, one used a 5 tooth drive gear and the other a 6 tooth. The late 36 regulator, you have, is a replacement and made quite a bit different.
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
Randy in ca

The top (used) window channel is the same as those in my early 1935 Ford 3W coupe. I seem to recall some discussion on these before different times - might find something with a search of past threads. Good Luck.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
dave m

the top channel with the tail piece is the same as the orig ones in my 35 5 wnd
dave m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
DICK SPADARO

The evolution of 35 and 36 Fords developed two different length window regulators, the shorter units were mostly 35 and rolled over to early 36 when the handle was repositioned for easier operation with the longer unit.. The channel that you inquired about is correctly out of an early 35, it serves and a glass guide, as the evolution of the car developed the glass was used as the guide. Can you install it? Yes, but does it do any good??
Old 10-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
barnfind

I don't have serial # but the 6 screw regulator and large window channel definitely came from a 36 model. Assuming I can rebuild the 6 screw regulators, should I cut off the glass guide piece and weld it to the new window channel or is their some modification such as cutting the glass larger or different door channel guides that allows the new window channel to work correctly. The window channel is pretty rusty and I dont think its worth trying to repair.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
barnfind

So I bought a reproduction winder handle 6 tooth gear and tried to replace the broken one. The 6 tooth gear profile looks the same but the new one is about .100 thicker.
After several hours and some detail measurements I came to the conclusion the repro was not dimensional correct and would not work without some grinding of the gear or shimming of the houseing or both.
Anyone been successful in this type of repair or are there multiple sizes of the window crank gear available?

Also, still looking for a recommendation on the glass guide piece and repro window glass channel.

FYI - Another member sent me pics of 6 screw 35 regulators and they are not at all similar to mine other than being 6 screw mount.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
barnfind

To add further to my confusion, several eBay vendors are advertising NORS or original regulators for 1936 to 1939 Ford trucks that look identical to the 6 screw regs I removed from unmolested 36 sedan doors.(front)
I have a set of 38 truck regulators that look completely different.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
DICK SPADARO

There is a 35-7 pickup regulator that looks just like the 35 short passenger car one but the kick back v groove is shaped differently and will not work in a passenger car operation. Have nos left side regulator if you are interested.