Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
svm99

Default Mellings M15 Hi Volume Pump

I have a new USA made (marked 1999) Mellings M15 high volume oil pump which I just acquired in a batch of parts.

I've read & heard pros and cons. What's your opinion, should I keep it? Mostly I will run street engines though may build a big bore stroker someday.

Thanks Paul J.
svm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
flatjack9

Default Re: Mellings M15 Hi Volume Pump

Ditch it.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
Walt Dupont--Me.

The only thing that pump is good is a worn out engine or a full race engine with extra bearing clearance. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
Pete

We don't even use them in race engines any more.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:05 AM   #5
Ken/Alabama

I'm installing one in my V12. I think it would be overkill in a V 8. And it might be in my V12 also,we shall see.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:21 AM   #6
chuck stevens

I have one in an 8ba, everything is tight,less than 1000miles, but it has very low oil pressure at idle. I'm running 20w50 Brad Penn oil, I checked for the restrictor in the oil filter line, I even plugged it no change. Cold at road speed it carries almost 60 lbs, after it warms it drops to 45-50 at speed, but idle is 5lbs or less. Could it be something with the pump? Motor is quiet, I have two gauges on it, one electric, one mechanical, they both tell the same story. The only answer I guess is don't slow down!! Chuck S.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:31 AM   #7
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
I have one in an 8ba, everything is tight,less than 1000miles, but it has very low oil pressure at idle. I'm running 20w50 Brad Penn oil, I checked for the restrictor in the oil filter line, I even plugged it no change. Cold at road speed it carries almost 60 lbs, after it warms it drops to 45-50 at speed, but idle is 5lbs or less. Could it be something with the pump? Motor is quiet, I have two gauges on it, one electric, one mechanical, they both tell the same story. The only answer I guess is don't slow down!! Chuck S.
Chuck , do you still have the "Mechanical Fuel Pump " PUSHROD in your engine ? The stock spring in the front of the block ?
j
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:33 AM   #8
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
In your case the M-15 pump is probably saving the engine, if you had a regular M-9 pump you probably would have pretty low pressure, I think you'll find you have a lot of clearance somewhere in your engine. Walt
Old 09-21-2014, 06:51 AM   #9
HP Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
In your case the M-15 pump is probably saving the engine, if you had a regular M-9 pump you probably would have pretty low pressure, I think you'll find you have a lot of clearance somewhere in your engine. Walt
Walt, what is the M9 pump?

I know about the M15, but not the M9.

Harry
HP Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

I am thinking Walt meant M19.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:33 AM   #11
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I am thinking Walt meant M19.
Yea, M-19, I'm on my first cup of coffee. Walt
Old 09-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #12
flatrod

Would the M15 be worth using in a Ardun?
flatrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #13
flatjack9

No.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #14
chuck stevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Chuck , do you still have the "Mechanical Fuel Pump " PUSHROD in your engine ? The stock spring in the front of the block ?
j

Engine is an 8ba so the relief for oil pressure is in the pump. And I do have the fuel pump push rod & the fuel pump, I'm baffeled.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
chuck stevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
Thanks Walt, I guess the right way to find out what is going on, is.... Pull the oil pan, and hook up a 4-5qt oil reserve, and see first hand where the hemorrhage is.Gee it's gone over 800 miles can't be too serious, thanks Chuck S
Old 09-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #16
Ol' Ron

While on the subject of Mellings pumps. I haven't used them for the past 15 years at least due to the fact that their junk in my opinion. I've had to replace several of them. I now use stock 49/53 ford pumps. Just clean them check the cover and housing for ware and re assemble I have a fixture that tests them. There are several other people here that will check out your pumps as well.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #17
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
While on the subject of Mellings pumps. I haven't used them for the past 15 years at least due to the fact that their junk in my opinion. I've had to replace several of them. I now use stock 49/53 ford pumps. Just clean them check the cover and housing for ware and re assemble I have a fixture that tests them. There are several other people here that will check out your pumps as well.
Basically the M15 is a good pump. The manufacturing tolerances are the problem. I always took a new pump apart and checked everything. Sometimes, (more often than not) a few things needed tweeking.
I would still use one in a customer engine if the racing rules said, no dry sumps.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:53 AM   #18
JWL
Member Emeritus

I have never seen any big change in oil delivery when switching between a stock, helical gear, pump and the M-15 pump. In the "good old days" I made several "double pumps" for loose clearance engines. These consisted of 2 stock pump gear sets combined in one case. Had to cut a hole in the oil pan and weld a voltage regulator cover to the bottom of the pan to fit those things in there. Again, not a huge change in output. It all has to go through the stock screen, housing, tube, and inlet opening.

There are several places to look for leakage when apparently tight engines show low oil pressure. The fitment of the pump housing to the engine block, the center oil manifold tube, and the bypass valve seat are some of the more difficult to diagnose which I have found to be troublesome areas.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:19 AM   #19
chuck stevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
I have never seen any big change in oil delivery when switching between a stock, helical gear, pump and the M-15 pump. In the "good old days" I made several "double pumps" for loose clearance engines. These consisted of 2 stock pump gear sets combined in one case. Had to cut a hole in the oil pan and weld a voltage regulator cover to the bottom of the pan to fit those things in there. Again, not a huge change in output. It all has to go through the stock screen, housing, tube, and inlet opening.

There are several places to look for leakage when apparently tight engines show low oil pressure. The fitment of the pump housing to the engine block, the center oil manifold tube, and the bypass valve seat are some of the more difficult to diagnose which I have found to be troublesome areas.
JWL, Thank you for your Ideas on internal oil leaks. I'm real sure the bearings are tight and anything that could be related to a fresh rebuild SHOULD be ok.I didn't check the pump real close, it could be something with the by-pass or fitment inside the pump. I had an 8ba that the oil gallory plug never got put back in, this seems different from that in that it can build almost 60lbs at road speed when cool. This engine is totally quiet when idling with low or no oil pressure. Winter is almost here, we will have lots of time to check it out, thanks again, Chuck S.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #20
Ronnie

I would get another gauge and confirm all my findings,and troubleshoot from there.

R.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #21
svm99

Thanks for all the info, I'll put in my next swap meet load..................maybe somebody will want it for cheap! Paul J.
svm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #22
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by svm99 View Post
Thanks for all the info, I'll put in my next swap meet load..................maybe somebody will want it for cheap! Paul J.
That's exactly what I did with one I bought 10 years ago by mistake. Fortunately for me, the motor gurus here and on the old MSN flathead Ford website advised me NOT to use this M15 in a FH street engine I was building at that time. I used an M19 pump that now has logged in ~ 25k trouble free miles. If they are junk, as someone mentioned, apparently I got a good one. I am putting a '36LB engine together now, and plan to use another M19 pump. Hopefully, I have another good one, as I do not think they are all junk.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 09-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #23
40's rule

Anybody use one of these yet https://www.bobdrake.com/ItemForm.aspx?Item=HR-6600-A what's your thoughts?
40's rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #24
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40's rule View Post
Anybody use one of these yet https://www.bobdrake.com/ItemForm.aspx?Item=HR-6600-A what's your thoughts?
The pump in that picture is what appears to be the same configuration as the Melling M-15. But then they call it a "short body" which I always thought was an M-19. Maybe they got their pictures mixed up.

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 09-22-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #25
41ford1

That Drake unit is an M15. I have one on the shelf that measures the same.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #26
Ardun

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatrod View Post
Would the M15 be worth using in a Ardun?
Yes for the M15 in an Ardun. It provides increased oil flow for the rocker arms and full flow filter. Do you have an Ardun?
Ardun is offline   Reply With Quote