Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #61
Slowplane

Default Re: Money found in cars

...didn't find any money in this recovery, but possibly discovered the origin of 'rat rod'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ccxc 969.jpg (129.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg ccxc 970.jpg (114.7 KB, 99 views)
Slowplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #62
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Seaslugs- They assumed the AA got 17.7 miles per gallon? Take the max number of quarterly gallons of fuel and divide by max quarterly mileage. Interesting.

I restore old radios. Found some really old (late 1800's and early 1900's) coins between the grille cloth and wood grille surround in a high-end 1920's console once. Must have been on top, then fell forward and caught in the gap between the cloth and front piece. Since that radio cost more than a car in its day, they either didn't want to damage the radio to retrieve a few coins, or didn't notice thet's where they went.
yea kinda interesting. it may have been better as it was driven around the backroads most of its life or fields. (evidenced by the still present tire chains on the tires and the fact the rear fenders are chewed up badly
Old 02-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #63
Tom Walker

My 32 Tudor had this bag behind the rear seat when I first looked. It seems to be Danish agricultural fertilizer??!

The squirrel nest yielded a gallon bucket full of nut shells and other bits and bobs....normally quite hard to remove tenants of such long standing!!

Tom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00373.jpg (54.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00503.jpg (59.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00518.jpg (93.7 KB, 42 views)
Tom Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #64
rosenkranswa

When I restored my 1930 pickup we found some reasonably intact newspapers from the late 40's used as stuffing to fill out the top which had clearly been repaired. During the teardown I noticed that everything on the drivers side was difficult to remove, then when we got the body off and could check out the number, it was from a 1929 series, the engine from a '30 series, with a '29 style front crossmember. Checking the frame for straightness it was clear the frame had been bent in on the drivers side at some point and needed straightening. Our conclusion was that the truck started life as a 29 and had been in an accident that pushed in the frame a bit and probably trashed the square cab. A later model cab and fenders were put on with the higher radiator and hood and the rest made to fit. But they never fixed the frame, hence the difficulty getting things apart. With the frame straightened and a '30 style crossmember added everything went back together pretty well. I always wondered what happened and when? Was anybody hurt? etc. Did the late '40s newspaper in the top indicate when the accident was? Was the truck fixed rather than scrapped because it was the war years and they needed transportation?

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #65
Clydes 31 P/U

No money that I can remember, I did find a pocket knife in the shape of a baseball bat under a door panel, after I cleaned it up you could make out the embossed picture of a baseball and Babe Ruth's name.
Clydes 31 P/U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #66
Pete/Ct.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I used to drive a wrecker for my families junk business. When I went to pick up a car I would stop before I got to the junkyard and "search" the car. Pick up the back seat, under front seat, deforster hoses etc. Since I worked for family that was the only real money I made !!!
Pete/Ct. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #67
RB

In the mid 60's I had purchased a 32 Chevy 3 window with extensive shop fire damage & found among other items an original manila wrapped roll of Pennys with the alum V.J. day 1945 surround, much like the good luck penny tokens so popular in the era. I still have the front seat which I used in my 31 which survived the fire in an adjacent structure, sadly the 32 was used up on the dirt tracks & my younger Brother punched the coins out of the alum surrounds I surmise, for spending cash during my tour in Viet-nam. Ron
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #68
Skibb

As a kid, I worked for Buick dealer. One afternoon I appraised a worn out Buick in the service dept. Of course, I opened the hood and looked for over spray and the trunk too. In the trunk were three tall paper grocery bags filled to the top with 10s, 20, 50s and 100s. Returning the keys to the two average looking businessmen, I commented that if there was anything missing dont blame me. They looked at each other, then at me, then at each other again. Next they kinda jumped up in unison and said Holy *&^% and literally ran out of the store never to be seen again. My guess it was 30k.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #69
Donvito

There's nothing in my 1930 Model A Coupe, but 34 years ago, I bought a '70 Caprice to put the engine and transmission into a '70 Chevelle that I had. I paid $75 for the Caprice. I opened the glove box and there was an ounce of weed. I was not one to inhale. I gave it back.
Donvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #70
oldbike99

1958 JC Whitney catalog in my 1934 Ford Tow truck, 49.00 in change in the door pocket of a 25 dollar car,
oldbike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #71
JtownJoe

I heard tell of a car dealer that kept a cigar box full of loose change & every time a customer would trade in a car at his dealership he would "return an odd amount of the change & tell them they found it while cleaning their car" just to prove how honest they were! I always got a kick out of that story, seemed pretty ingenious.
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #72
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donvito View Post
There's nothing in my 1930 Model A Coupe, but 34 years ago, I bought a '70 Caprice to put the engine and transmission into a '70 Chevelle that I had. I paid $75 for the Caprice. I opened the glove box and there was an ounce of weed. I was not one to inhale. I gave it back.
Yo, Don, Chief found a little baggie of seeds in an old car, planted them in the alley-----Later, he came in the house, "Hey Ma! got you some GREENS to boil"! (TEA TIME!) Bill W.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #73
luckyal

I recently purchased 3 1929 vehicles at an estate sale. The two model A's each had something under the seat. The Pickup Roadster had the original 1929 Commercial license plate under the seat and an old fashioned fire extinguisher. The Cabriolet had a collection off 7 Model A era tire pressure gauges , a supply of all the light bulbs and a spark plug, points and condensor and two extra keys. What a bonus ! Al.
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #74
TudooR31

Found a pin that said "Destroy Japan" inside the seat on a '37 Chevy.
Found a .38 bullet inside driver seat of a '76 Nova, former Mesa AZ detective car.
TudooR31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #75
Tinbasher

I found a book of matches in a 41 Caddy Conv. It was from the fourty's advertizing "Heinz" Ketchup. Tinbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #76
farmputzer

Just yesterday, when taking off the roof of a mid-30 town sedan, a 1942 Liberty half dollar fell out from somewhere up top.
farmputzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #77
bgarrett

I bought a 26 coupe body off ebay because I needed the rear part of the subframe.
The body had sat at an angle in a creek for many years and had a rot line to prove it. I took the body apart at the seams and found a 1938 buffalo nickle wedged in a seam
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote