Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
ed thibodeau

Default Mix and Match

Is it possible to put a 29 roadster pickup body and box on a 30 frame, and if it is OK are there any problem areas to look out for.
ed thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Mix and Match

There shouldn't be a problem. The 28 models had higher mounting pads on the front crossmember and if a later body is installed the body must be shimmed up higher for the hood to line up. With a lot of shimming I was able to install a dec. 30 pickup cab and bed on a nov. 28 frame
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Steve Plucker
BANNED

I agree with Purdy for the simple reason because that is the way it was done originally through June of 1930.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Joe K

Purdy is shimming the late (30-31) body to make it line up with the higher radiator mount pads of the early (before October 29) frame.

You want to install shims on your late frame radiator mounts to match the early body - which is what Pluck describes.

I have a "transitional" frame (stamped about November of 1929) which I plan to use for the next 1928-9 Model A I will build from parts. Ford in that timeframe and beyond in the parts book actually called out "shims" for this use, and the other parts. If you see the Service Bulletins from this period you can see the shim required thickness - and the additional square sheet rubber piece. The bolt is a little longer too IIRC.

Some discussion of this at http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=662288

As to putting a late model body on an earlier frame - you may end up drilling holes. For replacement parts Ford generally followed a "backfit requirement" (with the exception of designated "AR" parts which were special and kept in stock because backfitting was not possible or uneconomical to maintain) so that parts inventory could continue to be used going forward. But backfit CAN mean "field modified" by drilling or adaptation for the service groups. And I think the later bodies are not all immediately mount on earlier frames, or visa versa. You may end up field modifying.

But take heart - Ford did consider that the modification was within field service capability - and likely yours too.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 12-08-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote