Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
MrTube

Default Different types of Sta-Bil

I recall many recommending using Marine Sta-Bil however I've noticed at least now, there are other versions of Sta-Bil which say they protect against ethanol problems.

Is there any difference between these? I want to protect the "A" as well as lawn mowers \ snow blowers \ ATVs that do not get used a lot from time to time.

Also does Sta-Bil ever go bad? Is there any reason to buy a small container of it vs a larger one if you plan on using it over the years?
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
HoarseWhisperer

Default Re: Different types of Sta-Bil

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/faq.aspx
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
MrTube

A: Ethanol blended fuels can naturally hold up to 4 tbsp of water per gallon (about 0.5%) before phase separation occurs. Marine Formula STA-BIL® Ethanol Treatment contains a chemical that will absorb an additional fraction of a percent of water above this amount (around 0.2%), by bonding with the water molecules, allowing this additional amount to pass safely through the engine and out through the tailpipe. Any amount above this will drop to the bottom and phase separate. Removing large amounts of water (more than 0.75%) through bonding will cause poor power/acceleration and sometimes cause the engine to quit. Additionally, it can cause catastrophic engine damage. No engine manufacturer recommends removal of these large amounts of water through bonding.

When I read this the first thing that comes to mind is 4 tablespoons x10 gallons of gas = A LOT of water for this to happen. The next thing that comes to mind is they claim the Sta-Bil increases this by a FRACTION of a percent which makes me think its pointless.

Opinions?
Old 08-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
brokenspoke

I use super unleaded which I've been told doesent contain alcohol....I also use stabil
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
gweilbaker

Being use to corn gas aka gasohol since the mid seventies in Indiana, we drain the tank and carb, fog both and change the oil before storage. Never had a problem with condensation ever.

Last edited by gweilbaker; 08-24-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: proof read
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilbaker View Post
Being used to corn gas aka gasohol since the mid seventies in Indiana, we drain the tank and carb, fog both and change the oil before storage. Never had a problem with condensation ever.

This brings up another question. What do you do with old / stale gas?
Old 08-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
1931 flamingo

Don't ask................................
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
MrTube

OK,

How do you properly dispose of old / stale gas?
Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
This brings up another question. What do you do with old / stale gas?
I use up stale gas in my old John Deere 620 tractor, at a ratio of about 1 part old to 3 or 4 parts new gas. If you live where dooryard fires are allowed, you could burn it in an open pan.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspoke View Post
I use super unleaded which I've been told doesent contain alcohol....
This may be true in some places, but not in California. It's been discussed here before, and IIRC there are very few places where super doesn't contain alcohol.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
TnA

we have in the past gone to the local airport and purchased low octane avgas . this was put in our bike collection [old honda dirt bikes] with a dosen bikes , not one of them had any trouble running this spring , also we filled our snow mobiles up with the same, and no carb cleaning in fall to worry about . works for us . just a thought... I believe the octane is 80/87 if Im correct.
TnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
HoarseWhisperer

Some Shell stations in Ontario still have pure gas available in there premium grade.

While I try to use it when possible (especially prior to winter storage), it's not always possible to find when traveling. And frankly, I never had an issue with any grade of fuel.

This site has been posted before:

http://pure-gas.org

I cannot verify it's accuracy.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
gweilbaker

Stale gas is not a problem because we know to run down the tank toward the end of the season so the drain quantity is small and that will go into the next season implement, ex; mower to snow blower. But the quantity is small I mostly use it for cleaning solvent around the shop.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
Brad in Germany

Default How about gas for boats?

Has anyone tried buying gas for boats (at a port) for their Model A? They often advertise in the various boat papers as having "ethanol free gas".

....thoughts?

Fordially,
Brad in Maryland
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #15
socalplanedoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnA View Post
we have in the past gone to the local airport and purchased low octane avgas . this was put in our bike collection [old honda dirt bikes] with a dosen bikes , not one of them had any trouble running this spring , also we filled our snow mobiles up with the same, and no carb cleaning in fall to worry about . works for us . just a thought... I believe the octane is 80/87 if Im correct.
The only avgas in wide use now is 100 octane low-lead (100LL) - 80/87 went away years ago. 100VLL (Very Low Lead( has now been approved but I dont believe anyone is carrying it anywhere. There's a couple of firms now working to get 94UL approved - I expect to see it in the next couple of years. 94UL is essentially 100LL with no lead. All of these fuels have no alcohol... none.. zip.
I run 100LL in everthing I own that doesnt have a cat converter.. chainsaw, lawnmower, generator, the Harley, along with the Model A. Oh ya, I run it in the planes too

It's expensive and illegal to run Avgas on street vehicles in my state since the state isnt getting any road tax money from it's sale. Do I care? No one is going to pull my Fordor over and test the gas. My fuel system stays corrosion free, avgas doesnt need stabil, and thanks to the odorant the feds put in it so you can tell what it is, the exhaust actually smells kinda purdy.

If you dont already have access to an airport it's hard to get though..

Due to the high risk of failure, the FAA vigorously resists change without a monsterous amount of research and evidence the change wont cause any harm. That's often frustrating but at least in the case of fuel, they've kept the alcohol out and will most likely keep it that way.
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #16
Tinker

Default Re: How about gas for boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad in Germany View Post
Has anyone tried buying gas for boats (at a port) for their Model A? They often advertise in the various boat papers as having "ethanol free gas".

....thoughts?

Fordially,
Brad in Maryland

Brad, that is what I do.

I'll pick up 15-20 gallons at a time and put it in my cars and boat (all my lawn equipment is electric, including my lawn mower. I xeriscaped so not much of a lawn and maintenance).

I have had little to no problems since. The 15-20 gallons last me a couple of months, obviously depending on my usage.

Most boat guys use star-tron ethanol treatment here.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #17
Tom Wesenberg

" My fuel system stays corrosion free, avgas doesnt need stabil, and thanks to the odorant the feds put in it so you can tell what it is, the exhaust actually smells kinda purdy."

I didn't know that about aviation gas.....that's why I like the smell around airports. I also like the smell of model RC planes.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #18
socalplanedoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
" My fuel system stays corrosion free, avgas doesnt need stabil, and thanks to the odorant the feds put in it so you can tell what it is, the exhaust actually smells kinda purdy."

I didn't know that about aviation gas.....that's why I like the smell around airports. I also like the smell of model RC planes.
If you're smelling it while just around the outside of the airport, you're proabably smelling JetA exhaust.. shich is basically really clean kerosene. the odorant in 100LL is most noticible when you're fueling or just sniffing the tank. It also has a blue colorant added so it can be visually identified.

back in the day we had at least 3 different fuels sold at the airport
80/87 octane which was red
100LL which is blue
140 octane which was purple.

all had a different smell too - only 100LL is left now.

that nifty model engine smell come from the castor-based oil that was used in the 2-stroke mix sold by the hobby shops. You can buy castor-based 2 stroke oil at off-road motorcycle shops. I use it with the 100LL avgas in my Stihl chainsaw.. that smell is heavenly and make you feel like a kid again..
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #19
ursus

Interesting comments from SoCal - I recently waxed nostalgic about the sweet scent of leaded ethyl to a group of twenty-something guys and they just stared at me like I was from Mars. They'll never know...
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #20
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I use SEA FOAM as a stabilizer and all year long in my gas and I could not be happier. I use stale gas to clean parts and kill tree stumps and between the cracks in patio stones and walkways to keep the weeds away!
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote