Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #1
quik

Default 1941 Pickup Interior Install Help

I would like to finish the interior of my 41' pickup this winter, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I want to stay stock and I have some of the interior pieces I need, but I don't know what I'm missing and I have to idea how to install it. A google search was useless, or at least the way I worded the search returned a bunch of fancy headliner, door panel, etc. installs which doesn't help me at all with a stock interior. The same for a search here on the forum (which I'm not a fan of, the search function not the forum!).

I've studied as many 1941 pickup interior pics as I can find, but I still don't have a clue what I'm doing. I even contacted an online dealer for Cartouche about installation instructions and they said they didn't have instructions for installing that kit.

The pieces I'm looking to install are the headliner, panels around the rear window, windlace around the doors and the kick panels. I don't have any installation hardware or tools. I attached a pic of the interior so you can see I have a long way to go! Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200925_170237.jpg (41.9 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by quik; 10-05-2020 at 10:42 AM.
quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
TJ

Default Re: 1941 Pickup Interior Install Help

Looking at your photo you are missing the metal strips that go above the doors and at the back of the doors. Those strips help hold the windlace and are not reproduced. Quiet Ride Solutions make the headliner and the pieces that go around the rear window etc. Check their website for the kit.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #3
quik

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Looking at your photo you are missing the metal strips that go above the doors and at the back of the doors. Those strips help hold the windlace and are not reproduced. Quiet Ride Solutions make the headliner and the pieces that go around the rear window etc. Check their website for the kit.
I have:
  1. Headliner
  2. Rear panels
  3. Kick panels
  4. Metal strips at kick panels
  5. Metal strips above the door

I didn't know there was a metal strip down the rear of the door. Does it go from the floor to the metal strip above the door?
Old 10-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #4
Kube

I've attached four photos that I would think should help you. These are my '40 but should be quite similar to your '41.
There is a bracket in the center of the roof that accepts a screw and finish washer to hold the headliner in place. I believe but am not 100% certain that all '41 pickup's had a headliner. So, you should have that bracket in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (34.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (54.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (25.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg d.jpg (31.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 10-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik View Post
I would like to finish the interior of my 41' pickup this winter, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I want to stay stock and I have some of the interior pieces I need, but I don't know what I'm missing and I have to idea how to install it. A google search was useless, or at least the way I worded the search returned a bunch of fancy headliner, door panel, etc. installs which doesn't help me at all with a stock interior. The same for a search here on the forum (which I'm not a fan of, the search function not the forum!).

I've studied as many 1941 pickup interior pics as I can find, but I still don't have a clue what I'm doing. I even contacted an online dealer for Cartouche about installation instructions and they said they didn't have instructions for installing that kit.

The pieces I'm looking to install are the headliner, panels around the rear window, windlace around the doors and the kick panels. I don't have any installation hardware or tools. I attached a pic of the interior so you can see I have a long way to go! Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
Is the photo in your initial post your truck?
Old 10-05-2020, 01:24 PM   #6
41ford1

This kit came from Dennis Carpenter. The only place the needed trimming was over the windshield header. The headliner panel slides between the roof and the header. I had to trim about 3/8" off the front edge to get a proper fit above the back window. The filler piece under the back window slips under the window gasket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image0.jpg (42.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (44.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (48.0 KB, 43 views)

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #7
quik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Is the photo in your initial post your truck?
Yeah, that's the interior as it is now. Thanks for the pics they're very helpful. I do have a bracket in the center of my roof for a screw to hold up the center of the headliner.

Can I ask a few questions?
  1. The original owner gave a me bag of tacks, clips and screws. Where do I use each one? Where do I use the tacks, screws or clips around the door and panels?
  2. Did you use the metal strip that goes down the back of the door? If so, what is the orientation of the metal strip, cardboard panel and windlace? Which one belongs on top, which one should be in the middle and which one is against the door frame?
  3. Did you use the melal strip in front of the kick panel? I would guess its the same orientation as the rear of the door for the cardboard panel, metal strip and windlace?

Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated.

Shawn
Old 10-05-2020, 01:53 PM   #8
quik

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
This kit came from Dennis Carpenter. The only place the needed trimming was over the windshield header. The headliner panel slides between the roof and the header. I had to trim about 3/8" off the front edge to get a proper fit above the back window. The filler piece under the back window slips under the window gasket.
Thanks for the pics, they're very helpful. I think I have a similar kit.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #9
quik

Ok, here we go. I called MAC's auto parts and they were a huge help. I explained my situation and they forwarded a copy of the installation instructions. I attached the pdf file of the instructions so you can download them.

This gives step by step instructions on how to get the windlace, panels, hidem and metal brackets in place and explains were all of the tack, clips and screws go.

Thanks for the pics and wish me luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1940-47 CCPU Headliner.pdf (1.16 MB, 62 views)
Old 10-05-2020, 06:41 PM   #10
CaliforniaBorn36

quik, thanks so much for posting these instruction. I have been planning my windlace installation in my 41 pickup as well and been picking the collective brain here on the Ford Barn. Since my truck came with the headliner and rear corner panels already installed I am just putting together a few of the other pieces.
CaliforniaBorn36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:05 AM   #11
quik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaBorn36 View Post
quik, thanks so much for posting these instruction. I have been planning my windlace installation in my 41 pickup as well and been picking the collective brain here on the Ford Barn. Since my truck came with the headliner and rear corner panels already installed I am just putting together a few of the other pieces.
Glad I could help and good luck on the install.