Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #1
farmerdick

Default Gas Gauge Paint

I am restoring the gas gauge in my 30` Model A. What is the best gas resistant finish to use on numbers and letters of the gas level indicator? I`ve seen someone mention lacquer. I would think the gas would dissolve it quite quickly. What was used originally?

Thanks
Richard
farmerdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
37 Coupe

Default Re: Gas Gauge Paint

It has been said that the hot fuel proof paints that are used on Model airplanes will hold up. I used a clear "dope" on cork sending unit floats successfully before the neoprene ones were available. Problem is the good USA coatings seemed to have been discontinued at least at a local hobby store that I have frequented for the past 60 years. I bought my last one last year and all they had was clear. I just recently did my guage on the '31 and I used blacl regular enamel and coated it with three coats of the clear fuel proof dope. It seems to hold up just testing with lacquer so I will see. Some of the old fuel proof airplane paints are on Ebay from time to time so black may come up. I think the originals are all discontinued. When searching Ebay look for Aero Gloss Dope or paint.

Last edited by 37 Coupe; 04-18-2019 at 08:32 AM.
37 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
Purdy Swoft

Spray can black lacquer has worked for years on my model A's .
. I figure that POR 15 is more resistant to fuel and most anything else .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
duke36

Try Brodak Mfg. in Pa. They sell fuel resistant dope for model airplanes / engines. Seems to hold up to ethanol mix.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:31 AM   #5
farmerdick

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will give them a try.
farmerdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:04 AM   #6
grj

Satin works. SEM Trim. Also for S-2. Bead blast and use a piece of fine line tape to recreate the line. G
grj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Spray can black lacquer has worked for years on my model A's .
. I figure that POR 15 is more resistant to fuel and most anything else .
I tried some 30 year old sprayed lacquer on engine pans that the newer ethanol gas ate up quickly.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:06 AM   #8
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke36 View Post
Try Brodak Mfg. in Pa. They sell fuel resistant dope for model airplanes / engines. Seems to hold up to ethanol mix.
I ordered some of this paint and will let you know how it works. I started to paint the O with red. I placed my order on the phone and when asked what color of red I had no idea so I went all black as original.

Maybe I've missed it but,,,I wanted to ask a moderator if stickies could be made of threads like these of questions that are asked repeatedly? I know searches result in answers usually but sometimes it's pretty hard to find as the thread topic/title may not contain the key words. Thanks for the replies in this thread.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:28 PM   #9
gary678*

Two years ago I installed a new gas gauge unit. At the age of 75 my eye sight is not what it used to be so I painted a short horizontal red stripe at the empty mark so I could easily see the empty line, and adjusted the float to show empty when I had approximately 1 1/2 gallons of gas remaining. I went to an auto paint specialty store and told the attendant what I wanted to do; he mixed up a 1 ounce jar of red ($10) and said to store the painted gauge at above 70 F for 30 days and it would be "gas proof". I stored it in my furnace room for 30 days, then installed it. To date...perfect!; and a very easy read. A couple of weeks later a Model A friend of mine borrowed the paint to paint his gauge but only waited a few days before installing. Very quickly the paint disappeared from his gauge. I would not trust what the paint can in a box store says, nor one of their salespeople (competency is an issue). Go to an auto paint store or a well established body shop. I hope this helps, good luck!
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote