Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #41
cas3

Default Re: Is it normal to build an engine test stand?

thank you, i resemble that remark !
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:29 PM   #42
GB SISSON

About 40 years ago I used my first small gas generator on a jobsite. I was quite surprised at how that engine bogged down and labored as I ripped some 2x6 with my worm drive skilsaw. Years later when thinking about hybrids/electric cars I thought to myself what if the brakes employed a generator to add some juice to the batteries. Well I think that happened years ago. And about my brake cooling, this morning in the woodshop I was wondering about recirculating the cooling water into my hot water tank or for morning coffee. I like the dynamo the best. Edit.... Eating a turkey sandwich and remembering my trailer mounted military flathead V8 powered welder. Someone gave it to me 25 years ago. It was really frustrating to weld with as it constantly overheated. I eventually gave the engine to a friend (turns out was in good shape and Factory Relieved). I took that huge copper wound generator to the scrapyard. Talk about a run stand! Probably needed a radiator or serious flusn. Sandwich done, end of novel.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 01-04-2021 at 03:36 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:39 PM   #43
Pete

Prony brake.
Part 1. https://youtu.be/9Wi51Kf8bzA
Part 2. https://youtu.be/weJhTdnlUAo
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:27 PM   #44
Zeke3

Thanks for the videos Pete.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:26 PM   #45
Ziggster

Watched both vids. Thanks Pete. So say for example, your flathead makes 100 Hp at 4,000 rpm, using his beam length of 2'-7.5", you would only need 50lbs of weight on the end. Like he said, for the larger (steam engines), they would need some type of water cooling on the shaft. I gotta find my machinery handbook. Lol!
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:22 AM   #46
frnkeore

A idea that I've contemplated for many years, is to use a large disk brake, connected to a drive shaft, on the bolt pattern. Mount the caliper, to a lever, 1 ft long, to a point (say a bolt) from the center of the disk. I would then mount a 1 1/8 wheel cylinder, under the bolt. The wheel cylinder should be honed to 1.1284, for a accurate 1 square inch. That way, your torque will read, directly from a standard pressure gauge.

Run the brake line to a master cylinder, mounted on your panel, with a lever, next to your tach.

You can load your engine for braken and then do HP runs. If the disk over heats, run a water spray, into the center of it, to cool.

The formula for HP, with a 1 ft lever is, Torque X RPM divided by 5252.

Take your max tq reading, then record in 500 rpm increments and do the math for max HP.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:30 AM   #47
Tinker

If a bear shat in the woods would someone post about it. Would the bear shat faster or would it be a post. I do not know.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:54 AM   #48
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
A idea that I've contemplated for many years, is to use a large disk brake, connected to a drive shaft, on the bolt pattern. Mount the caliper, to a lever, 1 ft long, to a point (say a bolt) from the center of the disk. I would then mount a 1 1/8 wheel cylinder, under the bolt. The wheel cylinder should be honed to 1.1284, for a accurate 1 square inch. That way, your torque will read, directly from a standard pressure gauge.

Run the brake line to a master cylinder, mounted on your panel, with a lever, next to your tach.

You can load your engine for braken and then do HP runs. If the disk over heats, run a water spray, into the center of it, to cool.

The formula for HP, with a 1 ft lever is, Torque X RPM divided by 5252.

Take your max tq reading, then record in 500 rpm increments and do the math for max HP.
Frnkeore would you be willing to rephrase your first paragraph or perhaps you or someone else provide a sketch or diagram? Which bolt pattern does the driveshaft bolt to? Clutch cover? And the 12" lever with the caliper on it mounted to a bolt in the center of the flywheel? The whole caliper would rotate, so I gotta be wrong there....And mounting the brake cylinder 'under the bolt'? The subject interests me. Would it be best to start a thread about Engine break in on a stand or some such? We have pretty much answered the original poster's question about being 'normal'
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:41 PM   #49
frnkeore

GB,
I've got to do some shopping with my wife right now but, I'll start a new thread when we get back on Prony brakes.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote