Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Fred K-OR

Default Generator question

I just purchased a used generator. Have a question about the brush end plate. I notice there is not an oil wick or any other way to oil this end of the generator. I notice Andrews in his book mentions ball bearing end plate. Is this one that does not have an oil place? I did notice it did have a hole right in the center of the shaft hub on the place. Is this for oil?

Sorry about such a simple question. But this old guy has not taken a generator apart yet so maybe I should just go out and take the thing apart and answer my own question. I could do that now that the weather temps have gotten above the teens.

Last edited by Fred K-OR; 12-14-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Fred K-OR

Default Re: Generator question

I think I have answered my own question. I braved the cold today and went to the shop and took the thing apart. Yes it does have a ball bearing in the end plate and the hole in the end of the shaft hub does go through so I assume a person puts some oil in that hole.

If anyone has some advise for this guy that has to ask these simple questions and what to do from here on with restoring this thing, would be much appreciated.

Thanks for considering things.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

The original rear bearing has a spring loaded outer cup in the end plate, and a felt seal near the commutator. It only needs a few drops of oil each year.

Many people don't notice the front oiler behind the pulley, so it never gets oiled. I usually install a sealed bearing up front for customers.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Fred K-OR

Thanks Tom.

I noticed the "Oil Hole" is in the end of the shaft hub on the end plate and not on the top like the front hole is. Should a person just put a few drops of oil in this hole?
Old 12-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Thanks Tom.

I noticed the "Oil Hole" is in the end of the shaft hub on the end plate and not on the top like the front hole is. Should a person just put a few drops of oil in this hole?
Yes, there were a few different end plates and oil hole locations for the rear ball bearing, but a few drops a year should be good, or a few drops every 4,000 miles or so.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Look at the picture in my reply #9 to see the 3 different end plates I have for the ball bearing on the rear. Notice one has the oil hole in the center, but it has a cover that slides to the side.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...tor+end+plates
Old 12-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
Veger

Lol i'm a NooB to all this but not a dummy yet even with my Lube chart and everything I missed the front oil thingy behind the pully. Maybe NOW it will stop squeeking huh. Lol Thanks

Keep On Truckin!
Veger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veger View Post
Lol i'm a NooB to all this but not a dummy yet even with my Lube chart and everything I missed the front oil thingy behind the pully. Maybe NOW it will stop squeeking huh. Lol Thanks

Keep On Truckin!
Don't laugh too hard.
If it's already squeeking, it's probably too late and needs a new bearing.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
If it has been rebuilt in the last 20 years the front bearing is usually replaced with a sealed bearing so putting oil in the front oil hole will not do anything and is not necessary.
I found that the front oil hole on mine goes nowhere, that is when I look at the hole, it just has metal in it. So I assume that I have the sealed bearing like you mentioned. Is my assumption correct?

Thank again for all the information from Tom and all of you that contributed to my first experience in working on a generator. I am sure I am going to have more questions before I get this thing up and running.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Fred K-OR

Here are a few pictures of my generator armature, commutator and end plate that I have been working on for a spare generator.

A question I have and Tom mentioned it above, is about whether there should be a felt between the bearing and the commutator shown in the left picture. If so, does anyone know what vendor may carry these.

Another question is based on the picture showing the commutator, it seems to have "ridges" going around it. I tried sanding it but these black color ridges are still there. Do I need to somehow get rid of them or are they OK to leave it that way? If they should be removed, how is the best way to remove them?

Last question is-how does the condition of the armature look? Is it looking the way it should or does it look like it has been extra hot, etc.???

Also I have a couple of pictures of the end place. Also the cover band has the letters 1 K stamped on it. From what I saw in an earlier post, that would make it a January, 1930 model. As you can see, there is a hole in the end of the center of the plate. Is that there to oil the bearing?

Would appreciate any ideas on these questions and thank you for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4654a.jpg (38.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4656a.jpg (52.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4657a.jpg (37.9 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Fred K-OR; 12-19-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

If you have access to a lathe you can polish the commutator with fine crocus cloth or sandpaper. If no lathe, then don't worry about it. It looks OK, but you need to use an ohm meter or continuity tester and touch one lead to any commutator segment and the other lead to the shaft to make sure it's not shorted to ground. You need a growler to check the armature coils for shorts.

You can use a screwdriver to gently pry the bearing and steel washers off, then cut a felt washer for a seal to fit between the steel washers and be a bit larger diameter. I see the rear outer bearing race in place. Are you sure the spring isn't behind it? Can you get two small screwdrivers, or picks under the race and lift it out. It should slide out quite easily, but may need a shot of Kroil. Yes. the hole is for a couple drops of oil every 5,000 miles or once a year.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 12-19-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Fred K-OR

Thanks Tom. I will try a few of your ideas. That is once the weather gets a little warmer around here. I almost froze trying to take the pictures.

I appreciate you passing on your capabilities to us newbies.