Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2021, 12:13 PM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: T5 trany in 55 wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD-Ordie View Post
Definitely looks interesting ! And your right about those tail shafts! I did check and my first gear is 3.35. Parts are coming in, in the next few days, so I'm excited to see how the pieces all fall together. Flywheel is in the freezer and ring gear will be going in the oven. Hoping it just falls on

Hey LD .....Man, sounds like you've got things under control ....a good thing! So, you have a WC Mustang V8 T5 with a (expected) 3.35 1st gear. That is the best street gear set that you could ask for from a WC Mustang T5. Everything I have indicates that it MOST LIKELY has a ".68" OD ratio. Below is the link to a very handy T5 Identification chart which lists the numbers normally found on that bolt-on "factory" tag (which you're missing), along with the corresponding gear ratio breakdown.

http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Bo...T5-ID-Tags.htm

That transmission SHOULD require a 28-spline driveshaft yoke, and I THINK your driveshaft is gonna be roughly 3" too short. I'm curious how close that figure will turn-out to be. Please keep your progress updated. This has been fun, Bud! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:04 PM   #22
LD-Ordie

I do appreciate the advice, but lucky for me, I married a true hot rodder. Always have something in the oven, a car, cycle part or firearm apart in the bar area. She drives a 52 Chevy as a daily driver. Loves firearms, helps me make beer, Got a good one!!
LD-Ordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:54 PM   #23
LD-Ordie

Thanks so much DD, it has been fun, especially as the parts are coming in and the assembly is close. So yes, 28 tooth yoke is coming, and your spot on regarding the driveshaft being 3" short. Probably looking at a whole new shaft. Your suggestions on shifters is right on, hoping I don't need to spend stupid $$$ on one, but I'll do what is required to make it right. Seems like my 55 3100 was $300.+ and I have no regrets after the fact. Only questionable issue I have is how the cross member is going to work. Hard to tell at this point if I can make something for the original unit to work and I'm not seeing any commercial options .
Old 06-15-2021, 12:45 AM   #24
V8COOPMAN

LD ......This guy has used an '89 Mustang "WC" T5 with the 3.35 1st gear and a .64 5th gear. He claims to drive it like in this video "frequently". Click the link BELOW for a short "get-on-it"!

https://youtu.be/RdeX6BDjdXA

This is in a '56 with a 292. Picture of his shifter in relation with seat. He used a B&M "Ripper" shifter with an "S" shaped, 2" offset for the stick (forward or back). He set it so it moved the stick 2" forward and installed a Hurst curved stick! Just a couple of encouraging tid-bits! DD

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56 SHIFTER.jpg (82.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 56 SEATT.jpg (21.9 KB, 23 views)

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 06-15-2021, 08:12 AM   #25
LD-Ordie

This is in a '56 with a 292. Picture of his shifter in relation with seat. He used a B&M "Ripper" shifter with an "S" shaped, 2" offset for the stick (forward or back). He set it so it moved the stick 2" forward and installed a Hurst curved stick! Just a couple of encouraging tid-bits! DD

........[/QUOTE]

Great stuff here!! Can't express how much I appreciate your advice! Hopefully others can also learn from the discussion. So thinking, 2" forward and 2" to the left for my application. Still going to wait until trany is installed before I order anything. Leaning towards this guy.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (35.7 KB, 113 views)
Old 06-15-2021, 01:42 PM   #26
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Great stuff here!! Can't express how much I appreciate your advice! Hopefully others can also learn from the discussion. So thinking, 2" forward and 2" to the left for my application. Still going to wait until trany is installed before I order anything. Leaning towards this guy.......

Hey LD .....I surely do like the looks of that gold shifter and what it does for you, BUT ......there's one thing that it appears NOT to do, and that is that it appears not to have "POSITIVE SHIFT STOPS". One of the faults of stock T5s is that they don't have positive SHIFT Stops in the stock shifters. Without such, the only thing to prevent "overshifting" is the internal structure of the gears themselves. The gears WILL stop moving (being shifted) when their physical limits are reached, BUT....there is nothing preventing the shift FORKS inside the transmission to continue TRYING to push the gear beyond it's preferred, shifted limit. By doing so, the shift forks can become bent, or even broken. This scenario also puts un-necessary wear on the soft shift fork pads causing premature wear on them.

If you're going to spend good money on an aftermarket shifter, I would certainly opt for one with positive stops incorporated. That B&M "Ripper" shifter that the guy with the '56 uses (as well as others) incorporates positive shift stops. You set the 'STOPS' initially when you install the shifter, and you can 'BANG'-away to your heart's content from then on. I would consider a shifter with the stops built-in. And like one of the other suggestions contained in the B&M info link (BELOW) is to replace the used output shaft bushing & seal in preparation for the new surface on the new driveshaft yoke. I would read the info in that entire link....some good stuff there! Picture below shows B&M's positive stops. DD

https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/02/t5/

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 06-15-2021, 08:44 PM   #27
LD-Ordie

Totally agree on the built in stops, even though I rarely power shift my cars anymore. So this outfit I shared offers their shifters with or without the stops. I'm leaning towards them because of the multiple options regarding stick locations. I did read the B&M link, good info there. Looked everywhere, it appears the Ripper is no longer available? So my ring gear came in today, yoke tomorrow, maybe I'll get most of it back together, just need to entice a friend to come over to stab the trany. I hurt my back some years ago, so I try to minimize doing dumb things now. My lift is also outside, and it's now getting up to 115, so being a wimp and limiting my time outside. Thanks agin for the assist!!
Old 06-16-2021, 08:19 AM   #28
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Totally agree on the built in stops, even though I rarely power shift my cars anymore. So this outfit I shared offers their shifters with or without the stops. I'm leaning towards them because of the multiple options regarding stick locations. I did read the B&M link, good info there. Looked everywhere, it appears the Ripper is no longer available? So my ring gear came in today, yoke tomorrow, maybe I'll get most of it back together, just need to entice a friend to come over to stab the trany. I hurt my back some years ago, so I try to minimize doing dumb things now. My lift is also outside, and it's now getting up to 115, so being a wimp and limiting my time outside. Thanks agin for the assist!!
LD .....Man, if that gold-colored shifter has built-in stops, by all means, I'd go with it too 'cuz it also makes the shifter's eventual location so adjustable. Sounds like you have everything almost together. One last little bit of trivia....these T5s are all METRIC. Being a Chevy-kind of guy, I'm going to assume that the four large bolts that hold the Mustang trans to the Ford bellhousing are 1/2" diameter bolts. Before you or one of your buddies go to lift that trans in place, make sure the four bellhousing bolts will fit through the four holes in the transmission. Being a metric-sized trans, when you go to fit the four Chevy (1/2") bolts through the four holes in an aluminum Chevy T5 case, the holes in the case are just a blond hair TOO small to let that 1/2" bolt slide through. If so, you need to take a 1/2" bit in a hand-held drill and ream the four holes out in the aluminum case.....just so y'all ain't caught by surprise holding that heavy trans up over your buddie's head. Let us know how it's goin'. It's 100º here too, although not as bad as where you guys are. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 06-17-2021, 07:29 AM   #29
LD-Ordie

[QUOTE=V8COOPMAN;2027051]LD .....Man, if that gold-colored shifter has built-in stops, by all means, I'd go with it too 'cuz it also makes the shifter's eventual location so adjustable. Sounds like you have everything almost together. One last little bit of trivia....these T5s are all METRIC. Being a Chevy-kind of guy, I'm going to assume that the four large bolts that hold the Mustang trans to the Ford bellhousing are 1/2" diameter bolts. Before you or one of your buddies go to lift that trans in place, make sure the four bellhousing bolts will fit through the four holes in the transmission. Being a metric-sized trans, when you go to fit the four Chevy (1/2") bolts through the four holes in an aluminum Chevy T5 case, the holes in the case are just a blond hair TOO small to let that 1/2" bolt slide through. If so, you need to take a 1/2" bit in a hand-held drill and ream the four holes out in the aluminum case.....just so y'all ain't caught by surprise holding that heavy trans up over your buddie's head. Let us know how it's goin'. It's 100º here too, although not as bad as where you guys are. DD

Was out under the lift at 0500, just delt with the trany by myself...... Did not know about the metric thing, but when I bought the adapter from MDL, it came with all the hardware and I double checked it in advance. So not so sure about having it all under control, still stumbling thru things even with all the help you have provided! So latest new challenge , the car has a cross member that the trany needs to have the tail section be fed over before attempting to instal into the bellhausing. In my case, it's not possible to do as there is not enough room between the car tunnel and cross member. Tried stabbing it on it's side, but still no way. Just wondering what others have done? Took a break to think about it, besides getting hot and giving my back a break.... Got up to 117 !! Now thinking of cutting out the center section of the crossmember, welding a plate on the backside overlapping the the portion left, and bolting it back in. Once the trany is fully forward, I believe there is room. Don't believe it will compromise the integrity of the frame. Your thought would be appreciated! Time to think outside the box!

Almost need to take a break on this as the wife and I are leaving on a cycle ride for a couple of weeks next Monday thru Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and blasting back home thru Nevada. Go a little prep work on the bike, then chill. Really need to be fully refreshed to spend long days in the saddle, especially with the heat wave we'll be dealing with. Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0145.JPG (155.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0141.JPG (110.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-17-2021, 04:36 PM   #30
V8COOPMAN

[QUOTE=LD-Ordie;2027362]
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
So latest new challenge , the car has a cross member that the trany needs to have the tail section be fed over before attempting to instal into the bellhausing. In my case, it's not possible to do as there is not enough room between the car tunnel and cross member. Tried stabbing it on it's side, but still no way. Just wondering what others have done?

Man, it's always something! I have two POSSIBILITIES. First would be attempting to "FLEX" the floor UPWARD right at that point above the crossmember. You could use a floor jack to raise a 2 X 4 piece of lumber, pushing against that part of the floor. I don't know how much you'd have to raise the floor to alleviate the interference.

Second possibility.....If it would give you the room you need to fit, you can cut or grind-away that big, thick aluminum tab on the bottom of the tail shaft housing with the three holes in it directly below the shifter. You can also trim-away that thin aluminum FIN just in front of the big, thick, three-holed tab. AND....I don't see anything wrong with your cut & re-weld plan if it comes to that. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 06-18-2021, 07:13 AM   #31
LD-Ordie

Thanks DD, thinking of removing the chunk with the 3 holes just to allow more adj for drive shaft angle after it's in. But really think cutting out the center of that cross member is the way to go, but will bolt it back in afterwards incase it needs to be removed down the road. Gotta think others have installed the trany with the engine, but might need the radiator support removed first? Not a lot of talk on doing this swap, hard to believe....... Found the blue 56 you shared on the Y block forever site, but he has had no activity in 4 years. Still trying to reach out to him via a PM. Everything is a chain reaction. My mig welder is a Lincoln SP-250. Last couple of times using it, it was acting up like a bad ground. Have determined the stinger assembly needs to be replaced. When I put the 55 on the lift, went to use the mobil air lifts and the plastic reservoirs had cracked from the sun, now waiting on new ones. always something.....Thinking I need this bike ride to clear my head and allow parts to come in. Also might cool of a bit, got up to 118 yesterday with Death Valley approaching 130, only 60 miles away. Thanks again for all your feed back, I hope others are reading all of this and or may be of some assistance to folks down the road
Old 07-11-2021, 08:20 AM   #32
LD-Ordie

After being home from my trip for a week, a little progress has been made. Trany is in for good, a new crossmember was fabricated for both the tail shaft and the emergency brake cable. A new driveline is being made, hoping it's done this week. My world class trany had the 5 degree tilt to it, but rather than go with the adapter at the bell housing , I made the crossmember the 5 degree. Came out OK.

Still having an issue with the shifter. It appears MDL and the outfit on Ebay are out of the plates for the Tremec T5. and any offset for the stick. Both say their fabricator in Orange Co. in southern Cal are lacking materials and could be a month or more. Could they both be using the same outfit? So, I bought one of the $30. short throw shifter's off Ebay just to be able to drive it while I figure it out. It came in and has the shifter stick spacing at 5/8" instead of 7/8" like normal and all the Hurst shifters. I had the opportunity to purchase a B&M Pro Ripper for the mustang T5. It was a new in box. Took a chance and bought it as these are no longer being made. Looking at the pictures, can't really tell what the spacing is on the shifter. It comes with the 2" S piece like the guy mentioned above in his 56. Can't find any real info on this so I guess i'll find out when it get's here. Looking at all the outfits making sticks, there is not a lot of options for the 5/8' shifter. I supposed a offset adapter could be machined if necessary. Making progress, but everything seems to be a challenge. At least got my welder fixed and the air pumps repaired on the traveling jacks on my lift.

If anyone has any information on shifters sticks with the 5/8" bolt pattern, it would be appreciated. Anything that looked like it could be says in the description, standard bolt pattern..... Yeah, OK. I have reached out to all I could find for clarification
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0267.JPG (140.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0268.JPG (139.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0246.JPG (134.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-11-2021, 08:42 AM   #33
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
After being home from my trip for a week, a little progress has been made. Trany is in for good, a new crossmember was fabricated for both the tail shaft and the emergency brake cable. A new driveline is being made, hoping it's done this week. My world class trany had the 5 degree tilt to it, but rather than go with the adapter at the bell housing , I made the crossmember the 5 degree. Came out OK.
Good to see you getting there! Man, I can't believe that Ford's solution was to have that angle built into the transmission itself, leaving everyone with your situation. One of "Ford's Better Ideas"! The Chevy boys planned for that tilt (17º in a Camaro) by making a specialty "tilted" bellhousing, leaving everything on the trans STRAIGHT with the world. Let us know what you think once you get to drive it. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 07-14-2021, 12:16 PM   #34
JSeery
Member Emeritus

It is also possible to make a remote shifter that allows you to put the shift handle just about anywhere you want it. You do have to have the clearance for the tube along to the top of the transmission to the original shifter location and the stub of the original shifter.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:56 AM   #35
LD-Ordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
It is also possible to make a remote shifter that allows you to put the shift handle just about anywhere you want it. You do have to have the clearance for the tube along to the top of the transmission to the original shifter location and the stub of the original shifter.
This is the only option like your referring to that I could find. In my case, would have required extensive modifying to the tunnel, and stupid expensive. Probably better suited for a street rod application
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F143796602-1.jpeg (33.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-24-2021, 06:05 AM   #36
LD-Ordie

So ran the cheapy shifter for a week or so and determined all my work is a go. Trany shifted fine, and gearing is perfect for my application. Shifter did it's job, but there's a reason it's a $30. unit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0283.jpg (28.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-24-2021, 06:26 AM   #37
LD-Ordie

So the B&M shifter is in, unfortunately it has the 5/8 bolt spacing for the stick. No shift sticks to be found, so I made an adapter and was able to use a Hurst stick I had laying around. The 2" S bracket that came with it was a must to clear the seat. Ended up being a little busier than I wanted, but I was able to put the shift knob right where I wanted and is very comfortable to drive. Now I need to make a boot out of leather or vinyl to cover it all up. Big difference the way the B&M shifter works and was definitely worth the extra $$$. So overall, I'm very happy the way it all turned out! After a 100 miles or so, The car is a real joy to drive and the OD is perfect for cruising down the road. A big thanks to all that offered advice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0274.jpg (67.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0287.jpg (41.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0286.jpg (29.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-24-2021, 09:44 AM   #38
5851a

On your picture of drive shaft, is that one of the 2 piece rubber isolated drive shafts? My 67 Galaxie came new with one. I've worried that with age the rubber might separate but still holding up.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:49 AM   #39
LD-Ordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
On your picture of drive shaft, is that one of the 2 piece rubber isolated drive shafts? My 67 Galaxie came new with one. I've worried that with age the rubber might separate but still holding up.
Yes it is. Not sure what it came out of, a good friend and machinist built it for me. Will ask next time I see him
Old 07-24-2021, 03:09 PM   #40
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Tranny shifted fine, and gearing is perfect for my application. So overall, I'm very happy the way it all turned out! After a 100 miles or so, The car is a real joy to drive and the OD is perfect for cruising down the road.

LD .....I'm glad to hear that you finally got it all together. In view of your statements above, it MIGHT be a good thing if you would emphasize for folks, just how glad you are that you ended-up with the Mustang CLOSE RATIO (3.35 1st gear) gear set, RATHER THAN that dumb S-10 gear set with the goofy "granny" 1st gear, and widely-spaced 2nd thru 4th gears. Ya done GOOD! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE