Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default wheel out of balance

Good morning,

the left front wheel on my 14 T seems to be hopelessly out of balance when compared to the right one, and it's worn out the brass king pin bushings etc. and isn't really fun to drive at higher speeds. So the question is: is it possible to balance those wooden wheels, or does one simply have to live with out-of-balance wheels? I've searched the forum - nothing to be found...

Richard

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: wheel out of balance

Richard:

There is several methods to balance front wood wheels. Jack up your front wheel spin it and mark the light area when the wheel stops. Spin it enough times that you are sure that you have the light area. It will be a little different each time. One method used a lot around here is to take solder (sp?) and wrap it around the spoke where the light spot is. Keep spinning the wheel until you are satisfied that it is in balance. It should stop in 360 degrees when you are finished. Another application is one which I use. I go to a Tire shop and ask for the weights that are used to balance Mag wheels. These come in self sticking sticks about 10 inches long. Use a side cutter to cut as much of the weight as you think you need and again keep spinning the wheel and placing more or less weights until you are satisfied that it is balanced and will stop in 360 degrees.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

If you have steel felloes and demountable rims, the weights can be placed inside the felloe. Be sure to mount the rim on the felloe in the same position each time you mount it.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

Thanks for your help! However, I noticed that the problem is more of a left/right wobble nature than an up/down weight problem. Would that what you said apply to that as well?

Thanks, Richard

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

Richard:

It sounds like you have a shimmy problem rather than a wheel balance problem. This can be about 15 causes, and maybe more.

1. Maybe the number one cause of shimmies in Ts are loose tie rods.

2. Perhaps the number two causes is a worn pitman arm.

Other Causes

loose kings pins, loose front wheel bearings, bolts not tight on the bracket that holds the steering shaft to frame (that one took me almost two years to find one time), bent radius rod, loose radius rod, loose bolts in the firewall to steering tube, Loose gear case in steering tube, worn steering gear box and or gears and improper toe in.

Dave Huson

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

Dave, I checked all that and some of the areas have some play, but the problem is that when I jack up the wheel and turn it it has almost half an inch/ an inch of left/right play at the rim, so as far as I have meditated on that problem its the wheel. My theory is that the wheel (or rather its being out of balance) has worn out all the critical joints (king pin bushings etc.) that I had rebuilt just a couple of miles ago.

Do you think it is unsafe to drive with such a wobbling wheel? At higher speeds it almost feels as if the wheel could snap off, but maybe I'm just paranoid...

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

It sounds to me like a bent rim or out of true wheel. In my opinion an out of true wheel is not as strong as it should be when everything is true. You may want to find another wheel or have it rebuilt if this is the case. It would be better than a sudden failure.

Cam