Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2021, 04:20 PM   #1
19Fordy

Default Transmission Parts Question

I have 2 1940-48 Ford transmissions that would be too expensive to ship to anyone who might buy them, so I am thinking about parting them out. I hate to just junk them if some parts are still usable.

Number 1 is out of a 1940-48 Ford and has no grinding marks on the case where a VIN # would have been stamped. I assume it was rebuilt by a dealer many years ago. Maybe someone could use the case.

#2 is out of a 1947 Mercury as the starting prefix of the VIN # is 99.

My questions are: How can you tell if the synchronizers, shift forks and side covers and cases are in good condition and not worn out.

Also how do you inspect a throw out bearing to see if it's still good? I don't want to mislead any potential buyers.

I do see chipped cluster gears so I know they are not usable. Here's some photos.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and share your knowledge. JIM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6877b.jpg (51.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6797b.jpg (50.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6863b.jpg (65.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6864b.jpg (56.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6866b.jpg (72.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6988b.jpg (48.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6935b.jpg (55.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6938b.jpg (44.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6934b.jpg (49.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6927b.jpg (76.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6898b.jpg (69.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6912b.jpg (53.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6923b.jpg (55.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6921b.jpg (58.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6891b.jpg (62.0 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-07-2021 at 05:00 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:31 PM   #2
Brian

Default Re: Transmission Parts Question

The brass synchro cones are worn as evidenced by the lack of gap between them and the gears
Old 02-07-2021, 05:30 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Hey Jim....Do both transmissions have the same gear sets? In other words, do both have the same gear ratios? You can tell by counting the number of teeth on both the input shaft, as well as the number of teeth on the FRONT gear on the CLUSTER shaft that the input gear meshes with. If they are both the same, would you have enough GOOD 'hard' parts (gears) to assemble ONE full set, combined with some new, quality synchronizers and bearings IF NECESSARY, to end-up with one spare trans for your coupe? You should know that if something goes 'south' in the trans in your coupe (from all that heavy gettin' on it that YOU do), you're going to be suddenly faced with trying to find a decent replacement, which of course, ain't as easy any more as finding one at the junk yard for $5 bucks like I did in 1965. Just a thought! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:34 PM   #4
Mart

Lots of good usable parts there. Is the cluster ok in box no.2? The chipped reverse idler is an easy fix. Don't forget all those innards can be fitted into a toploader case. To me, the guts are more interesting than the cases.

Parts are more difficult to come by here, so if those were here I'd snap em up as donor parts for the future.

Good parts boxes. Price accordingly.

Mart.

Edit: After reading Coop's reply, if you can keep em, keep em. If your current box fails, you might be able to put together a good working box from parts from all 3 boxes. I wouldn't worry about the throwout bearing, new ones are available reasonably.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:18 PM   #5
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Lots of good usable parts there. Is the cluster ok in box no.2? The chipped reverse idler is an easy fix. Don't forget all those innards can be fitted into a toploader case. To me, the guts are more interesting than the cases.

Parts are more difficult to come by here, so if those were here I'd snap em up as donor parts for the future.

Good parts boxes. Price accordingly.

Mart.

Edit: After reading Coop's reply, if you can keep em, keep em. If your current box fails, you might be able to put together a good working box from parts from all 3 boxes. I wouldn't worry about the throwout bearing, new ones are available reasonably.
I did exactly this several times over a three year period when I was in college.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:21 PM   #6
Kurt in NJ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I would think a case with open number plate would have value too
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:36 PM   #7
19Fordy

V8 and all other responders:

Thanks for your helpful input. Yes, the days of the $5 transmissions are gone. Gosh, in 1961, I was making $1.15 per hour and a quart of milk cost 25cents. 3 cans of tuna were 99 cents. And in 1963 I paid $400 for my coupe. A lot of dough.

The main shaft gear tooth count (front to back) on both my transmissions is 16,22 and 28.
The cluster gear count on both transmissions from front to back is 28,24,18 14.
Both transmissions have an 18 tooth reverse idler gear.

The cluster gear in one of the transmissions has broken teeth. So does 2nd gear and the reverse idler.

Thanks, JIM

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-07-2021 at 08:41 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:51 PM   #8
Ggmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I have 2 1940-48 Ford transmissions that would be too expensive to ship to anyone who might buy them, so I am thinking about parting them out. I hate to just junk them if some parts are still usable.

Number 1 is out of a 1940-48 Ford and has no grinding marks on the case where a VIN # would have been stamped. I assume it was rebuilt by a dealer many years ago. Maybe someone could use the case.

#2 is out of a 1947 Mercury as the starting prefix of the VIN # is 99.

My questions are: How can you tell if the synchronizers, shift forks and side covers and cases are in good condition and not worn out.

Also how do you inspect a throw out bearing to see if it's still good? I don't want to mislead any potential buyers.

I do see chipped cluster gears so I know they are not usable. Here's some photos.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and share your knowledge. JIM
Im in lake Worth, Florida and may be interested in a complete trans . Pm me please .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote