Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2021, 11:59 AM   #1
rocket1

Default Cold start

I like to start the A periodically and in the winter on the coldest day as an ongoing experiment to see if she will start with no problem.Today it was 13 deg.F and with heavy oil it started on the first attempt.I consider that darn dependable it still has the 6 volt system my 54 Ford that I had in high school most of the time in the winter needed a jump or a push start.What is the record in the Barn for the coldest start?
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:08 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Cold start

When you start it do you run it up to full hot temperatures???
The lowest I have had my A out in is zero , it's all real stiff, got to run more than a block in low gear to loosen the transmission enough to shift, but I don't change to thinner oil in the winter, I don't start the engine unless it is going to be run enough to boil off condensation, makes the muffler last longer, less oil diluting
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:15 PM   #3
Oldgearz

Congrats.....wish mine would do that. No matter how I try, 99% of the time it fires then dies and starts on the second try. I'm envious.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:17 PM   #4
Oldgearz

Kurt in NJ.......our Coupes must be twins.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:13 AM   #5
mgambuzza

Funny. Last night I was thinking about starting as I put in stabilizer a few days ago. I’m in Syracuse NY and today started at -7 F. I measured the voltage first- 6.39 so figured good. Turned the key and it was fairly strong and with the choke fired up. I did have to feather the choke for about a minute or two and it stabilized (similar to when I fired up my MG Midget in the winter years ago). Let it run at least ten minutes to ensure all fluids warmed up, and generator recharged the battery.
mgambuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:37 AM   #6
rocket1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
When you start it do you run it up to full hot temperatures???
The lowest I have had my A out in is zero , it's all real stiff, got to run more than a block in low gear to loosen the transmission enough to shift, but I don't change to thinner oil in the winter, I don't start the engine unless it is going to be run enough to boil off condensation, makes the muffler last longer, less oil diluting
I ran it for at least 25 min.funny you should mention the muffler it has been on the truck for at least 40 years only the tip of the tailpipe rotted off!
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:21 AM   #7
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1 View Post
Today it was 13 deg.F and with heavy oil it started on the first attempt
Not a good idea, that heavy oil isn't circulating and lubricating very well, especially the crankshaft. Damage may not show up for some time.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:55 PM   #8
Big hammer

Negative teens ! Back in 1971 dads truck wouldn't start, a Chevy 6 cly, family car a Ford 429 wouldn't start. My A started but turned over oh so slow, after the A warmed up drove dad to his store to get a couple of fresh batteries. Truck started and then used it to jump start the car, dad caught his hair on fire from a back fire, the muffler blew open from a after fire, finely got it going too! All the while my older brother and sister and younger brother and sister watched out a window siting on the 6 foot long hot water radiator.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:11 PM   #9
Jim Brierley

Big hammer, great story!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:44 PM   #10
Ernie Vitucci

Just a short observation...The Model A Ford Owners Manual calls for 20 wt in the winter and 40wt in the summer...As a guess, they must have been thinking about the northern areas of our country...that get really cold in the winter...Here in the Arizona desert...lots of A's run 10-30 and 10-40...and some just run 30wt detergent all year long. All the different owners seem happy...It's a shame we can't ask the cars themselves...so go figure! Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:59 PM   #11
jbwthree

Started mine both yesterday and today and we are in the teens here in the northeast. Took her out for a nice winter drive both days as well. Gear oil was thick as molasses for the first mile or two !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbwthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:50 AM   #12
DkFordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
Negative teens ! Back in 1971 dads truck wouldn't start, a Chevy 6 cly, family car a Ford 429 wouldn't start. My A started but turned over oh so slow, after the A warmed up drove dad to his store to get a couple of fresh batteries. Truck started and then used it to jump start the car, dad caught his hair on fire from a back fire, the muffler blew open from a after fire, finely got it going too! All the while my older brother and sister and younger brother and sister watched out a window siting on the 6 foot long hot water radiator.
Similar story, back in the 90's when my Ford still drove, my older brothers much younger car (Opel Kadett) often had starting problems in the winter - both in cold and humid weather. The Ford would always start! The Ford being a 6 volt system, the Opel a 12 volt, jump starting was out of the question - so I had to tow him instead It always worked perfectly from a Ford perspective

My memory may play me trick or two, but I seem to remember driving the car in -10 deg C (14 deg F) without any issues.

The Opel has long since been scrapped - the Ford is being renovated to former glory
DkFordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:12 AM   #13
KenBolton

Follow the recommendation for lighter engine oil, make sure it is well tuned up with a good, fully charged battery and an old six volt system will start. I’ve done so for fifty years as low as -20. If switching to 12 volt cures it you had a deficiency in the 6 v system.
KenBolton is offline   Reply With Quote