Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #1
Jack 34pu

Default Sunday drive problem solved

Hi everyone. I haven't post for quite awhile - this retirement keeps me too busy! Sunday, I took Lil' Red (34pu) out for a drive. She has been an excellent runner and I usually put 50+ miles on her when I can. Well, I was coming down thru town and she started to miss. As I added throttle, it got worse. leave off, she settled down. Headed for home. Had to pull over twice but as I slowed down she came back to life. Stopped at a gas station and filled her up - checked under hood and everything seemed Ok Suspected fuel pump or blocked fuel line or filter. Limped home under 15 mph. Today, I decided to get to the bottom of this. Pulled out an extra fuel pump etc and started the discovery process trying to eliminate any easy issue. Fuel filter between pump and carb seemed full - odd. Started her up and she purred like a kitten. Back out and started up the hill and the missing, sputtering etc started immediately so back in garage. I had good spark and fuel delivery.

I sat down and thought of all the Ford Barn posts I've read in the past to jog my mind. As I gazed over towards the motor, I noticed something didn't quite look right. What was different? I feel stupid now as I think back. My original air cleaner was dented pretty bad so I had taken it off for a future project of restoration. In the mean time, I purchased one of those 10" cheap flat chrome air cleaners. What didn't look correct was the air cleaner seemed to be offset about 3" to the rear of carb center line. As I reached in, I realized that the attachment screw had worked loose and the air cleaner popped off the carb top, moved back a few inches and rested on the choke and throttle rods. Moving the gas pedal caused the rod to slightly lift and level the air cleaner and of course the suction of the carb helped to pull the air cleaner down on the carb casting. At idle, the air cleaner tilted back ever so little and the engine would idle fine. What are the chances of a three point support holding the air cleaner nearly level in correct height over carb?

I'm sure glad I didn't tear anything apart and then discover the simple air cleaner solution. One little screw wiggling loose!! How about you. Any stories?
Jack 34pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
Kahuna

Default Re: Sunday drive problem solved

Glad you found it, Jack.
Problems like that can be overwhelming at times
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:30 PM   #3
2935ford

Isn't it nice when you finally figure it out and it's such a simple fix!
Just makes you smile all day long!
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
Prawbly

Send a message via AIM to Prawbly

Man that makes me feel good just reading it ! Great story.
Prawbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:10 PM   #5
totto

Glad it was a "simple fix" Wish they were all like that!!
totto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:51 AM   #6
Mart

Well done for finding it. That's the best kind of fix, one that is easy and free.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote