Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2015, 03:33 PM   #41
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
My logic is plain, why call a plumber if I have an electrical problem, why go to Pizza Hut if I want a burger. Mac's does not specialize in strictly Model A, whereas others do. If Mac wants to cover parts for Fords from 1909 thru to the 1970s, that's fine but I'd rather go to those who specialize in A parts. Mac's will no doubt, by having such a wide range of Ford model parts, will lose some customers to others who devote their expertise to strictly Model As.
But remember others that you patronize such as Snyders also handle more than A parts. Be careful Ed.
I think what is being said is go ahead and don't patronize but don't bad mouth them either !

And just like Fred, this is my last post on this subject also!
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #42
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
But remember others that you patronize such as Snyders also handle more than A parts. Be careful Ed.
I think what is being said is go ahead and don't patronize but don't bad mouth them either !

And just like Fred, this is my last post on this subject also!
Wayne
They handle T parts too....not 1970 Ford Fairlane and Corvette parts too. I'm not bad mouthing Mac's, I'm just pointing out, they are not a specialized dealer and many want a personalized and specialized dealer of Model A parts.

It's the same as a mechanic, would you turn over the keys to your A to an everyday modern car mechanic that knows nothing about Model A Fords or would you search till you found someone who has worked on As most all their life?

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers

Last edited by 31 Model A; 02-18-2015 at 03:46 PM.
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #43
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckler's View Post
Yea sorry guys we've had a few projects come up pretty fast we've been working on lately. Whole new computer system coming in to better help serve you guys.

Scott
Good to see you respond Scott. But from now on when you post how about including your email address every time, as you did when you posted a while back.? That way when guys have a question or a problem, they can email you directly. I believe this was your email,,,,,[email protected]
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #44
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
Why would I pay Macs extra to have my order go out the same day when I call Brattons or Snyder's and that's a guarantee to already happen?. Sounds like a scam to me.
There is no scam if they have combined all the parts into one or two warehouses and handle thousands of orders a day. The order desk after receiving the order and payment method cleared the order goes to the warehouse. How fast do you think they can pull thousands of orders?

Ecklers has more then just Model A parts. While I have had my problems with them and would only do business with them if I had no choice to get the car on the road, it is not fair to compare them to the "mom and pop" shops we are used to dealing with and get great service from.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:20 PM   #45
oldbike99

My only post on this subject is to say that we need all the Model A venders we can get.
oldbike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:11 PM   #46
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
There is no scam if they have combined all the parts into one or two warehouses and handle thousands of orders a day. The order desk after receiving the order and payment method cleared the order goes to the warehouse. How fast do you think they can pull thousands of orders?

Ecklers has more then just Model A parts. While I have had my problems with them and would only do business with them if I had no choice to get the car on the road, it is not fair to compare them to the "mom and pop" shops we are used to dealing with and get great service from.
No sorry, defend all you want but I won't deal with anyone who wants me to pay extra to ship out faster. Sorry, I'm done with this one too.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:08 PM   #47
Mitch//pa
BANNED

after restoring Lucy which was a nut and bolt restoration i had many parts that needed to be returned which were not needed. many were purchased over a year ago from brattons or snyders. both establishments took them back without any penalty's....
what i am reading on Mac's return policy is returns must be within 30 days and no refunds on electrical items. after 30 days there is a restocking fee of 25% with a cap of 6 months.

this is a follow up to my post #14

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-18-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:12 PM   #48
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
No sorry, defend all you want but I won't deal with anyone who wants me to pay extra to ship out faster. Sorry, I'm done with this one too.
But is it not great that we have that choice?
Old 02-18-2015, 07:51 PM   #49
tbirdtbird
BANNED

it would seem the facts speak for themselves. And a bunch of our viewers must be defense lawyers
Old 02-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #50
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
I like the option to have my order expedited. If I messed up and need something in a hurry I will pay a little more to get it. I can accept a company wanting to have a small shipping backlog to keep the work flow even in the shipping department.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:19 PM   #51
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldsman View Post
I like the sales they run at macs.the only thing that gets me is the shipping im sure its high because of there cost but $25 to ship a small bag of parts to erie pa seems like a lot. I could drive there for less but then you have to add the tax. No way to win. Their parts are just as good as anybody else imo

Oh, good grief. Unless you live within 20 miles, no, you can't drive there for less and even at that you're counting your time as being worth zero. As for tax, if you're in PA you'd still need to pay tax on what you order over the 'net. It goes right on your PA-40 and theyre looking.

A big company with an order shipped in 2 days seems ok to me. Besides, most Model A folks don't need a part one day faster and, if you do, you're probably asking whoever it is to overnight it, offering to pay the extra.

Honestly, much ado about nothing.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:44 PM   #52
5window

Quote:
Done. Let's think about this a bit.

You call in an order, or even place it online.
Someone takes your order, processes it, takes your payment
Someone gets your order at the warehouse and searches down the parts you want, maybe even from a couple of buildings, and groups them for shipping
Someone packages your order, wrapping the parts for safe delivery and getting it ready with other packages for shipping.
Someone ships your order-maybe taking it to the post office(mom, or pop?) or filling forms, printing labels, coordinating with a pickup.

So, what's that take? Let's say 30 minutes because you're a priority customer. And let's say they've got a great staff who will work for peanuts-maybe $10 an hour? so that's $5. But, if you know anything about business at all, you'll know that's not what an employee costs-there's Social Security, Workman's Comp, Retirement, health care, insurance,etc. Easily double what you're paying that employee, so now you're at $10.

Let's say that the USPS gives you those nice Priority Mail boxes for free and even brings them to your warehouse for you. There's still tape, and labels, and printer ink and bubble wrap-Maybe $1 a package? And even if you're grouping all those little parts into one box, that's a flat rate $5.95.

So, now we've got $16.95 to send you your package. What's they'ree shipping charge,did you say??

Now the kicker-to stay in a parts business, you've got to move inventory. The longer it sits on the shelf, the more it costs you. If you carry it over from one fiscal year to the next, you pay tax on it. Lots of businesses aim for 90 days max to turn inventory over, a really good company would like to have 30 days, maybe less. Stuff on your shelf is money on your shelf and not in your pocket. That's why so many businesses have gone to "just in time" ordering" but a parts business
can't do that. So you have to make up that loss with fees someplace-charge more for shipping, charge more for parts, charge something for handling. "Free shipping over $99"?-bet for damn sure those costs are built into the prices for parts.

Bottom line, the smaller guys-and the guys we're talking about are really good, don't have economies of scale , may be more efficient, but are running way tighter margins. Take advantage of them while you can because, sadly sadly sadly it's not a good business model. Service is what they're banking on but it's a very tilted table they're working from and the odds of future longevity are poor.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #53
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Thumbs down Re: Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
Oh, good grief. Unless you live within 20 miles, no, you can't drive there for less and even at that you're counting your time as being worth zero. As for tax, if you're in PA you'd still need to pay tax on what you order over the 'net. It goes right on your PA-40 and theyre looking.

A big company with an order shipped in 2 days seems ok to me. Besides, most Model A folks don't need a part one day faster and, if you do, you're probably asking whoever it is to overnight it, offering to pay the extra.

Honestly, much ado about nothing.
time is money... a car taking up a lift waiting for parts costs money. it might be fine for the regular joe but not someone in business fixing cars.. i am tax exempt in pa for resale
Old 02-19-2015, 07:26 AM   #54
Mitch//pa
BANNED

this is my last post on any Mac's titled threads..
Old 02-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #55
Eckler's

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
Good to see you respond Scott. But from now on when you post how about including your email address every time, as you did when you posted a while back.? That way when guys have a question or a problem, they can email you directly. I believe this was your email,,,,,[email protected]
Will do. I added my direct email to my signature.

Email me direct at [email protected]
Eckler's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #56
zzlegend

Thanks Scott.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:13 PM   #57
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
this is my last post on any Mac's titled threads..
MMM. Thinking that's a good idea for everyone. G'night.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:16 AM   #58
Charlville

A little counter productive ganging up on one supplier, do we want to drive them away? More choice means a better market in the long run. Ecklers are clearly making some big changes in the business, extra visibility by Scott et all is a big stride forward. He has also provided his contact details, so give the man a chance to get things sorted before writing them off. I'm pretty sure they have plenty of other areas to use their energy in, if the A business becomes more trouble than it's worth?
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:05 AM   #59
WRA

Since Macs was bought out by Eklers, I have to pay state tax as well as shipping so I no longer use them. Tax and shipping can be $25+ on a $100 order. Thier current offer of 10% off $175 purchase just isn't competitive. Free shipping with min $100 purchase is nice and makes them comparable to other vendors, but havnt seen this in a long time. I do a lot of mail order and plenty of companies have free shipping offers, regardless of amount purchased. Size exceptions are understandable.

Last edited by WRA; 02-20-2015 at 07:30 AM.
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #60
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
OK, I decided to give them a chance. Today I made an order from Macs.
I will list the facts of the conversation, and not editorialize. Readers can be the judge.

1. The salesperson on the phone was very polite and very helpful
2. The parts are in stock.
3. It will take 2 days to process the order meaning it won't go out for 2 days. For an additional 3.96 I could have it processed today.
4. Once shipped out it will take 5 days to reach Texas.
Well? What was the final outcome?
Excellent?
Good?
Bad?