Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
reggiedog

Question center emblem on trico vacuum fans

HI: Does anybody know how to restore the center emblem on these fans. I have one that I would like to repaint it to make it look new but I don't know how to get all of the pat #'s back on and the names. Thanks for all of your help
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
mass A man

Default Re: center emblem on trico vacuum fans

I've restored a few tags for different items and it can be a real pain, especially if the lettering is not embossed, or "higher" than the background. My advice is to get hold of a high quality fine point black marker and make yourself comfortable then hand draw the black background, around the printing. A very touchy job, to say the least. Let it dry, then shoot tag with a LIGHT coat of satin clear. Sometimes, when the printing is embossed, I paint over the whole tag then before the paint sets up completely, I can take a small, lint free swatch of cloth, moistened with thinner and with one finger with cloth, dab or swipe over the lettering to remove just the painted-over printing. Sometimes I have to re-do the whole thing over again because I touched the background paint with the cloth. Not so much fun.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
reggiedog

Question Re: center emblem on trico vacuum fans

that don't sound like fun at all???. I have seen restored ones and I always wondered how they did it. I don't think I have that steady of the hand to do that. The emblem I have needs both colors done over and I just don't know how to get the pat's back on there the right way they have dates on them. And part of the date on mine is partly gone. ANY IDEA'S ON THAT ONE?????.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
mass A man

Maybe you could find a "parts fan" that may have a nice tag on it. There are companies out there that reproduce instrument faces/dials. Aircraft people know about these. Very expensive for them to do just one or two special tags, uncopyrighted, of course.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
reggiedog

Thanks I have already tried that they won't do that kind of stuff. There's a co. around here that does that stuff and I called them back when I got the fan. Maybe there's other co.'s that will do them don't know but the one that's around here won't do it. Too much to set up for just one emblem I bought a fan from a guy couple years ago and that emblem looked brand new. I'm sure he had to restore it or some of them don't know. I sent a email to him but haven't heard back yet.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
reggiedog

I just emailed them I have tried before and it wouldn't work?????. So I hope I will hear from them and I hope it's good news anyway. But thanks for the info reggiedog
Old 11-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
reggiedog

Don: I just got a reply from the wiper man and he said he has a few fans missing that same piece so I'm Out of luck on that one SHOOT. There's got to be someone out there that restores the emblems on these old fans But right now I'm trying to get the fan to work and no go for now. I think I'm going to hook it up to car and see what happens. A shop vac not doing it air does come out of the little port on the side so I know air is going in. It's just NOT turning the turbines in there. Maybe it needs more suck to get it to go I hope.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
Richard Redmond

Hi Reggiedog.

Please let us all know if you succeed in getting a Trico emblem replacement.

Mine was too badly damaged to be photocopied or photographed. It was triangular in overall shape. I bought a Trico emblem sticker for a wiper from Mac's / Snyders as a 'make-do' even though it is not authentic.

Refer to a previous post / thread in this forum - I have the fan blowing to me but its real purpose to to blow on the windscreen - I think!
Richard Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
reggiedog

YES that's what they were intended for????. But you said that snyders sells emblems for the trico wiper motors???. Do they sell them for the fans????. Or just the wiper motors meaning the triangular ones only. My wife said that she might be able to copy the one in the middle of the fans cage and the little one on the back of the fan. But she hasn't had time to do it yet plus I think I goofed up the one on the back before you could see the whole thing but I tried to do it myself and ended up repainting the back again. So now all you can see is part of the Trico name you can still see the rest of the tag the vacuum fan part of it. I hope she can still do it I looked at the one I bought from someone else restored for my car few years ago and he buffed the trico name of instead of trying to mess with it. That might be the way to go for me too if we can't make it look new. I hope we can I told her that I know people that would send her emblems to restore she just laughed ya right. She to busy anyway for that kind of stuff but I'm just waiting to see what she can do with this one the one I have u can see most of it. it just needs to be cleaned up and repainted and redone to look new again. Can't wait till it's done I was going to sell it on e bay when it's all done but I think I'm going to keep it and just sell the N.O.S. one that I have. But I have to get this one going first can't figure it out I've put a lot of oil in it and it still won't go I'm going to hook it to a car and see what it does. I hope it goes with it hooked to a car if not it's going to be a big pile of part's that I can't use. My wife won't let me buy another one till this or the other one sells I just haven't told her I might keep this one that is if I can get it to work. reggiedog
Old 11-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
reggiedog

I thought I would update this a little bit. I did get all of the gunk off of the emblem down to the brass or gold color. Now we are going to repaint the missing letters small and large and the little stars that are missing and all of the rest of the stuff. Right now I only need the black paint but I will have to take the emblem to the store to match the gold color and make that look new too. But when I'm done with it I will try to post a pic on here and you can see how it came out right now it to me anyway looks brand new.