Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2021, 04:30 PM   #1
stude333

Default Crank pulley

I hope you can help me. I have a nice running 1937 21 stud motor I want to run in my 1934 pickup. The engine sets about 4"r higher then stock so I want to run the middle fan like the 1946-1948 style fan. It looks like the front stub of the 37 crankshaft is much shorter than the 1946. Is there still a way to mount the 1946 pulley on the 1937 crank? Have any of you figured a way to accomplish this. I do have the manifold, generator, fan mount, fan and the 42 distributor. and I have the 2 and 3 bolt covers and the spacer. the only thing I havnt figured is the lower pulley. can anyone help/ Thanks so much
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z6.jpg (67.0 KB, 52 views)
stude333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:13 PM   #2
Mart

Default Re: Crank pulley

4" higher than stock? That motor should fit in at the stock height. You need to make spacers to adapt the engine mounts to the 34 crossmember.
I can't advise on the front pulley, but if it was at the correct height there wouldn't be any space for the forward pulley.
Is that why you have it so high? Does that cause other problems?
I had a Pilot motor which is the same as a 37 in my 33 and I also have a 59a in in now. the crank pulley lines up with the crank handle bracket.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:36 PM   #3
stude333

The mounts in my frame are flush with the top of the frame. So that is why the question if the middle fan can be used. the generator fan would hit the upper hoses. I would like to use a mechanical fan. I gave the the 46 fan generator distributor etc and wanted to know if anyone has successfully done this. I had not resigned my self as to replacing back to the original front crossmember. If any on can answer I would appreciate it. Thank you
Old 02-21-2021, 05:48 PM   #4
Mart

If it's non standard crossmember it is hard to give an answer.

Is there some reason why you think the 48 type gear will not all bolt on? Do you have the 48 pulley? will it fit?

One thing you might need to do is look to see if you currently have a short cam with a button. If you are converting to 2 bolt from 3 bolt, you will need a short nosed cam. If you have a long nose cam, you will either need a 3 bolt to 2 bolt adaptor on the 3 bolt cover, or a 2 bolt spacer on the 2 bolt cover. The crab distributor is short for a reason. That reason is fan clearance. The fan might not clear the distributor if a spacer is used.

My car is a coupe, I don't know if the pickup has a lot more room, but the cars have very little room in that area for a fan.

You must give all info when asking a question because a lot of assumptions are made when giving the answer, and the vehicle being stock is one of them unless told otherwise.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:52 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Are you sure you would have the clearance on the front of the engine? Sounds like there have been some modifications done, but that would be a lot sticking out on the front of the engine in a normal installation.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:57 PM   #6
Mart

From what I can tell, the 37 and the 59 type engines have the same snout. (I think) is that the basic question? Can you dress the front of a 37 the same as a 48? I don't know why not, unless I'm missing something.

If you had a stock 48 engine, with all the fan etc. Would that fit? Have you looked at the crank pulleys from both motors? Do the bore and length at the crank fit area look different?
Old 02-21-2021, 06:56 PM   #7
stude333

yes the have a 38 engine dressed like a 46-48 and it fits perfect but my 38 has rotted out the block sides. then a deal came an a jewel of a running '37 21 stud. I like tghe idea of the 21 stud but the snout on the crank appears shorter by initial inspection. yes it is an old hotrod truck. chopped 34 cab 33 grill. looks like the original 34 front motor mounts were cut off the back of the front cross member. motor mount pads were added in stock position (fore and aft) but flush with top of frame rail.. But my original question was in regard to the 46 2 sheave crank pulley has a hub about 4" long. the single sheave 37 pulley the hub is only about 2 or2-1/2" long. It appears the 37 may have a shorter crank stub. I havent tried moving parts around yet. I was sounding out here to see what I could find out. One idea the first guy made me think...maybe I should be considering the '37 fan on generator setup. Then the crank pulley would not even be an issue. I could always shorten the fan blades if the hose cl/earance at the top is an issue. With the warm weather I getting the itch to get things going for the spring/ Thanks Guys
Old 02-21-2021, 07:03 PM   #8
Mart

I suppose it comes down to some careful measuring of the snouts on both motors. The 48 pulley might be longer but the end is hollow. The bolt fits up inside. If you have all the parts to hand you can do the investigative work.
Mart.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:46 PM   #9
Ggmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stude333 View Post
I hope you can help me. I have a nice running 1937 21 stud motor I want to run in my 1934 pickup. The engine sets about 4"r higher then stock so I want to run the middle fan like the 1946-1948 style fan. It looks like the front stub of the 37 crankshaft is much shorter than the 1946. Is there still a way to mount the 1946 pulley on the 1937 crank? Have any of you figured a way to accomplish this. I do have the manifold, generator, fan mount, fan and the 42 distributor. and I have the 2 and 3 bolt covers and the spacer. the only thing I havnt figured is the lower pulley. can anyone help/ Thanks so much
Where do you live ? I recently removed a 37 lb 21 stud from a 34 and it was a bolt in , replacing the stock 34 . Can you take pics of your front frame ? I have no info on adapting the lower pulley . Im in s Florida
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:53 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I don't know for sure on the pully switch, but I thought they would not interchange because of the crank difference you are referring to. Someone here on the Barn should know.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:41 PM   #11
cas3

if the front is that high, the fuel pump would be smashing the fire wall, or the trans is 4"higher than the floor too?? carb base level?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:49 PM   #12
42merc

Crank snout on the 37 is a smaller diameter than the 46-48 crank.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:35 PM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Okay, some clarification on this post that I made here earlier today. I read the original post last night and when I came back today, I did not read the post that described the modified front engine mounts. I thought the original front cross member was still in place. So unless the original cross member is put back in place, these suggestions below, for the most part, are not valid.

One of the nice features of a '37, 21 stud, 85hp engine is that it can be setup to look and fit in your '34 just like the original engine. You can use water pump mounted heads, '33-'36 water pumps, front block off plates to cover holes for '37 water pumps, '34 motor mounts/water inlets, '37 crank pulley, '35/'36 intake manifold, '33-'41 helmet, or '42 crab distributor, and generator with fan mount pulley and fan. That would, or should allow everything to bolt right up in your '34 pu, assuming you have no modifications that would prevent this.

You can also run that '37 engine as pictured in your original post with the correct spacers between the '37-'48 water pump feet and the rubber donut motor mount pads. The motor mount bolt holes on the '34 cross member are spaced a bit wider, center to center, than they were on a '37 front cross member, so the spacers must compensate for that difference, as well as any height difference. You would need to use the '37 intake with a lower generator mounting stud, and a generator with fan mount pulley and fan. Probably a '33-'36 fan with a 1-1/16" hub might work better than a '37 fan with ~ 2" hub.

I believe either of these two methods would be easier and work better than trying to use a '46-'48 fan and belt system on that '37 engine. JMO

PS... it's always good to have your approximate global location shown in your avatar for folks trying to answer your questions....just saying

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-22-2021 at 09:35 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:44 PM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
You can also run that '37 engine as pictured in your original post with the correct spacers between the '37-'48 water pump feet and the rubber donut motor mount pads. The motor mount bolt holes on the '34 cross member are spaced a bit wider, center to center, than they were on a '37 front cross member, so the spacers must compensate for that difference, as well as any height difference.
The problem is the original mounts are missing and the mounts that are installed are at the top of the frame rails. I'm not sure it might not be easier to relocate the motor mounts to the correct location, although the original mounts end up almost is that position with the spacers. Have to think about it a bit, LOL.

I still find it hard to believe there is that much clearance in front of the engine for the later fan set up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mount 5a.jpg (73.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Motor Mount 4.jpg (24.0 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 02-22-2021 at 04:50 PM.