Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2021, 09:08 PM   #21
1948F-1Pickup

Default Re: 12 year old Coker tires, still ok?

I'm not in the tire business, but it's well known in the tire service
industry that they can dry rot on the inside..... so the "no damage"
you see on the outside ain't necessarily the real situation.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:25 PM   #22
Scotty's 52 F3

No tire shop near me will touch a tire over 10 years old. But, I know people that run them.
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:54 PM   #23
Fortunateson

This tire debate all started when Firestones were blowing out at speed. Govt did a study on tire deterioration base on the temps around Phoenix Az. Exposure to UV and temps buggered them up after around six years. Now this study was done on radials not bias ply. Up here on the wet coast of Canada the conditions are way more friendly to tires. I have older bias ply tires that I will use but first a thorough inspection inside and out.
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:22 AM   #24
3Dueces

Buy Diamond Back Tires...Have run both brands and in my opinion, they are better tires.
3Dueces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:39 AM   #25
Tom's36coupe

Just looked at DB tires, they make a very nice looking radial that has the look of bias. No tubes though, assume they will work with my wide five wheels. Thanks to all for the help!
Tom's36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:35 AM   #26
47Monarch

Just wondering what is wrong with coker tires. I thought they were one of the better tires
47Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:02 AM   #27
ETriggs

I have 13 year old Cooper Cobras on my 57 Chevy right now with zero miles. I bought them thinking the restoration would go quickly and well.... it didn’t. I will use those tires/wheels for 30 miles per hour or less to test the car out in my neighborhood. I will NEVER put the car out on the interstate or highway with them on. I go every year to the TriFive Nationals and the last one in 2019 had a fatality. A gentleman had a 55 Chevy with 10 year old or so tires on, started driving home on the interstate after the show and had a tire blow out due to tire age. Car flipped and killed him. Tire rubber will deteriorate and cause delaminations around the belts. Just put a new set of tires on. My grandfather always said that good tires and brakes were the cheapest life insurance you can buy.
ETriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #28
Ardun

Tire can be replaced but life cannot.
Ardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:14 AM   #29
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Monarch View Post
Just wondering what is wrong with coker tires. I thought they were one of the better tires
I have a new set of coker biasply and find nothing wrong with them. Great look and I enjoy the ride. The set I replaced were 23 year old cokers that were just starting to show a dry rot crack around the circumference of the tire between the tread and sidewall.

Don't take this as recommending to use old tires. They were replaced once dot was realized and damage was noted.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:30 PM   #30
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Immler View Post
Since you have already invested in paint and other restoration, you should spend a little more and buy new tires. As you know with the "good" luck most of us have, a blowout etc. will happen where it will cause you to swerve into.....something.
I totally agree with Joe. Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:41 PM   #31
Krylon32

I'm overly anal but when I was on the road doing 8-10 NSRA events a year I replaced the 235/85R16/10 ply tires on my 36 ft 5th wheel every 2 years. My tire dealer was always glad to see me although he thought I was nuts but in the 17 years on the road I never had a tire failure. Traded trucks every 2 years so never needed tires. On my old cars I replaced 10 year old tires on my 3 window and 12 year old tires on my 40 last year. My cars are in a climate controlled storage environment so they still looked like new. I'd buy new tires.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:06 PM   #32
jimvette59

I'm replacing my 20 year old Coker tires on my 59 corvette and they look fine just a little crazing in the white wall areas. The car sits about eight month a year and only use it around town. I guess it's time. I'm 76 and I guess I won't be getting another set.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:14 PM   #33
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post

Blackwall Excelsior Stahl radial tires are available in the sizes you noted. They have a 'bias tire' profile or 'look' to them, and perform wonderfully....without tubes, on old Ford 16" wheels. Below are 5.50 & 7.50 Excelsiors on 16 X 4" and 16 X 4-1/2" wheels. DD

I saw these on a '37 Ford at a local car show, and they looked very nice. I was impressed by the stance of the car. Looked period correct.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:10 PM   #34
Bored&Stroked

I have the blackwall Excelsior radial tires on my 32 Cab - really a nice tire and look almost like a bias ply. One thing is for sure, they surely handle better than any bias ply - and that is the main reason I bought them.

They are pricey - no question - but so is a crash, hurting oneself or somebody else . . . tires and brakes and the two places you should never scrimp.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:39 PM   #35
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom's36coupe View Post
..the tires are 12 years... Hate to get rid of them but question how safe they are.
Yeah, um, no. Not safe if it's me.

Now have I done it, yes. I drove my '35 for a year on fourteen year old bias tires. But I was lucky, and silly.

Here's a picture of what I settled on for the car when I wanted to be able to take it on a two week road trip. Mounted on my wire wheels without tubes.

I'll be honest and say the bill really took my breath away, I mean really. But I feel like I bought some confidence and after the bill was paid... Well I'm still trying to forget it, haha/cringe, but it's done.

And the radials are much nicer than the bias tires.

Just remember, most fellas are quick to tell you they know the absolute best tires or oil or spark plugs on earth. And everyone else is just plain wrong if they don't see it their way.

And I'll close with this: blackwalls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (49.3 KB, 57 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 02-13-2021 at 10:44 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:08 AM   #36
Tim Ayers

It is surprising how expensive antique tires are; especially bias ply.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:54 AM   #37
tubman

It's the old problem of supply and demand. On an absolute basis (overall tire production), supply is very low. On a relative basis (hobbyist requirements) demand is relatively high. The production problems are greatly complicated by the almost infinite variety of styles and sizes required, requiring smaller runs which always raises unit cost.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:21 AM   #38
hop up

This brings up a very interesting issue and maybe a problem. As a car collector and have a few more cars that I need or drive very often. So its easy to say buy new tire for you car but what if you have a dozen cars? Not trying to be a smart a&$ but with maintenance in keeping you collection ready to go. I have tire 10 years old and yes they are in a heated and cooled interior out of sunlight. What I have discovered is new tires aren’t like old tires. I have 60 year old original tires to the car low miles on a car without any dry rot . I also have 3 year old tire that are shot from dry rot and need new ones. So do you spend 12k every few years on tires is what is being said.?
Old 02-14-2021, 09:24 AM   #39
big job

not being wise, but most are driving these as toys. Try day in and day a class 8 new tires half worn tires and we had all rear tires 8) 11-24.5s one blew off ripped my mirror off the door so there ya go, may have had 200 miles on it at 65 mph lucky didn't hit any one. so you guys buy new tires every year with no miles? I don't get it, Like Michilens get cracks in one year. dealer says thats normal. Oh well. Oh do you all buy a toaster every two months or a vacuum cleaner that I bought 1 Month done...
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:32 PM   #40
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by big job View Post
not being wise, but most are driving these as toys. Try day in and day a class 8 new tires half worn tires and we had all rear tires 8) 11-24.5s one blew off ripped my mirror off the door so there ya go, may have had 200 miles on it at 65 mph lucky didn't hit any one.
Not sure what you are trying to say?
J Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote