Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2020, 03:54 PM   #1
Mabel1930

Default Electric Wiper Wire Connector Question

Hello all, does anyone have any leads on exactly where to get the connector that goes on the motor for connecting to this piece for restoring an original motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2256.jpg (32.3 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Mabel1930; 04-08-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Mabel1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:32 PM   #2
woodiewagon46

Default Re: Electric Wiper Wire Connector Question

Bratton's, 800-255-1929, PN, 24030 @ $5.50 ea.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:44 PM   #3
Ed Wendell

Mabel1930,
I am confused, are you looking for the post that sticks out of the electric wiper motor, then the connector in your post plugs onto it.
If that is the case I think you will have find another basket case motor and cannibalise it.
Ed
Ed Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:36 PM   #4
Gary Karr

Hopefully this will answer your question. Since I don't know which wiper motor you are referring to, I'll answer your question based on the earliest electric motor, the Owen Dyneto OD-01 open car electric wiper. Here are a couple of pictures that should be helpful. There should be a terminal stud with a 90 degree bend, pointing up that will plug into your connector end. Please disregard the broken mounting arm. This is a core wiper that I will be rebuilding sometime in the future. The electrical wire that you would use is a steel braded wire, also pictured.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3072.jpg (26.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3073.jpg (41.4 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3074.jpg (20.5 KB, 72 views)
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:00 PM   #5
Mabel1930

Gary,
Thank you so much for the photos! Looks like the 90 degree most is the part I need to either find or fabricate. When I got the wiper, it has a cloth covered wire that looks to be original to it (the wiring connections inside the motor seemed never to have been messed with from what I can tell). Also seems not to be a spot for the 90 degree post to attach to.
I also placed the original on/off lever in the picture. I'm torn on whether to cut the extra post off from the reproduction I got in order to make it match.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2270.jpg (42.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2271.jpg (47.7 KB, 73 views)
Old 04-09-2020, 11:36 AM   #6
Gary Karr

Thanks for posting pictures of your wiper. I also have a core identical to yours with the wire coming out of the casting. I'm not sure about this type of unit as it is not shown in the RG&JS.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:24 PM   #7
rotorwrench

Most of the OD wipers did have the terminal pin protruding from the frame. The open car ones with the terminal between the windshield frame and the mount ears had to be short for the connector to work at all. There may have been variations in that first OD-O1 wiper since it was likely the first of the open car types. This is good info but it doesn't include one quite like that. https://www.mafca.com/downloads/Semi...A%20Wipers.pdf

It may have been modified to make a wire type connection. The OD wire connector is unique although some Heinz units may have also used them and someone may not have had access to any new parts such as are available now days.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-09-2020 at 01:44 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:01 PM   #8
ABento

Is there someone that works over the electric wiper, I have one that came with the sport coupe but it has issues.
ABento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:32 AM   #9
rotorwrench

John Holland's name comes up a lot for electric wiper work. Check the third entry on this link for information. http://www.modelatrader.com/partsdir...ges/wiper.html

There are others as well.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:56 PM   #10
Mabel1930

Gary,
Quick question, I see in the MAFCA document that their drawing has the flat part of the motor being oriented to the bottom when the motor is mounted. Mine seems to be oriented the other way judging by the data plate/on-off switch. If I were to mount it that way, I’d have to remove the data plate and rotate it but that would result in off being labeled as on and vice versa. Any clues on yours as to how it is meant to be oriented?
I have a metal cable very similar to that you have pictured that is an old distributor cable that I can canibalize though it is not long enough.
Any chance you could measure the height of the 90 degree electrical post?
Thanks so much!
Mark
Old 04-10-2020, 03:11 PM   #11
Gary Karr

The drawing of the wiper that you are referring to was taken from the RG&JS. When mounted, the OD-O1 should be mounted with the flat side facing up so disregard the orientation of the drawing as to the way that it is to be mounted. The electrical post measures 7/8" from the bottom of the square block to the top of the post with the post itself being 5/8". Hope this helps.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #12
rotorwrench

One of the photos I found in volume 4 of the restorer series of books of the OD-O1 wiper unit seems to be oriented to mount the flat frame edge down but it's only one photo from one angle and it's certainly not mounted. It could be mounted to set far enough back that the roof header bow would clear it when the top is up. The wire always has the armor covering in the photos I've seen and it is further protected by the placement in front of the wiper housing between it and the windshield frame. It matches the drawing in the wiper file I posted in post #7. I can find no other photos to match the unit in post #5. If there are variations, I can't find supporting information. A person could call one of the guys that overhauls these units and possible secure more information.

As far as mounting, I can't find any information on that either. It would be interesting to know more about these units with the popularity of the open cars in the late 1928 though mid 1929 time frame.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-11-2020 at 10:52 AM.