Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2020, 09:40 AM   #181
davids2toys

Default Re: 36 Ford drag link orientation question

I am just getting back to the car after not touching it for a couple of months. I was re-reading the whole thread to refreshed. The 37 Pitman arm just doesn't seem long enough to to get it low enough bend it to clear the pan and still be able to bend the small end back up to maintain some sort of correct plane. Also another thing to think about is leaving enough room to be able to used the removal tool.
So I was wondering about your post referring to the drop arm.

The oil pan may be in the future but wont be for a while if at all. That will be a last ditch job which I am trying desperately to avoid but may have no choice. I still would need the correct dipstick, pickup, screen and pump. Those parts would be the least of my issues vs. how hard the oil R&R job appears to be. I cant see how this job would get done without pulling the engine. Can't even consider tackling that kind of job especially on this car with my present bum knee and back issues. Getting old SUCKS!
davids2toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #182
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Adding dropped steering arms is not that ease, you would have the cut off the ones that are part of the original forging on the spindles. You can drop your existing spindle arms, same procedure as for the steering arm.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:25 PM   #183
davids2toys

Just talking about the Pitman arm only
Old 02-21-2020, 09:16 AM   #184
glennpm

Replace the pan. In addition to what I posted in post #110,

"Regarding dropping the pan without pulling the motor, a lot of work but best long term solution. These are a few links I found for your info.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=10

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/rem...an-219576.html

and this post by tbirdhandyman:
https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/pr...=18&Topic=3601

Not sure if mentioned in the above links, but removing the drag and tie rods will probably be required too. Jacking the motor up with the spacers will allow tight access to replacing the front main seal. Timing cover would have to be pulled too for the seal replacement."

add this link and book reference:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...4637&showall=1
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:49 AM   #185
davids2toys

Hi Glenn,
Excellent post, thank you. I know you are right about just changing the pan to do this whole thing right. I read all the links you provided. They were great but I am still amazed at some guys when they oversimplify jobs and only give you half the details making the job seem so easy. In my car it will be a little more difficult because it is a later model Merc engine. I think it is physically bigger also. Even getting an engine gasket set will be a bit of an issue because I do not know exactly what the engine is, all I know is it is a 49-53 Merc flathead. There are no numbers where I have read where they are supposed to be, next to the intake on the pass side.
I think I will do this job as you and other have suggested. I do have a lift, but it is presently being occupied by my non-running Cobra. I think I will finish bending the 37 Pitman arm just get the 36 running back to drivable/ movable condition. Then I will work on the Cobra and get it back to running/ condition so I can move it to my house garage and move the 36 out to my detached garage with the lift. I have already purchased a '49-early '51 Mercury oil pan off eBay a while back. I still need to acquire the correct pump, pick-up, screen, dipstick, rear bracket from oil pan to bell housing, and the correct gasket set for this engine and different oil pan. I will probably wait to purchase the gasket set until I get the pan removed to see what type of seals I require.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:05 AM   #186
glennpm

You're welcome David!

I hear you on the oversimplification. I often see posts "it took me an hour,", etc. No way could you do what they said in an hour unless you had every tool laid out and you did the same job often.

The block size is not larger, the stroke is though at 4" versus 3.75".Take a look at this link and poke around on Vanpelt's site. There is lots of good info there.

Great that you have a lift to do the work! I have a four post that I got about four years ago and love it. It is much easier to work on and get the car at just the right height to do work on it.

I know you bought a gas welder a while ago but it may be easier to take your Pitman arm and piece of stiff wire or coat hanger, bent as you want it to be for either your use or a good repair or muffler shop, to use when bending the arm.

I can take that old broken down Cobra off your hands and dispose of it properly ;-)

Glenn
Old 02-22-2020, 12:13 PM   #187
davids2toys

I mean for gaskets and sometimes parts. For example, If you go to the last link you sent, the guy supplied a link to a parts house, https://bestgasket.com/vintage-engine-gaskets/
In the search for the gasket set a couple of options thru me. Basically V-8 Flathead or V-8 Flathead -Big Bore?

If I am going to change the pan, I am not going to put much more effort into it. Worse comes to worse. I will just put the 36 arm back on so I can move the car. While it is on jack stands, I want/need to adjust the brakes. Car pulls bad to the left under braking

That is what I have, a 4 post, best investment ever. It is a backyard buddy, very expensive but awesome quality and safety, also made in the USA. I have the jacking trays and 2 scissor jacks with 3/4" nuts welded on it make getting the wheels off the ramps is a snap, just touch it with an impact gun. The only issue I have is the ramps itself gets in the way for certain jobs.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #188
davids2toys

Wink Re: 36 Ford drag link orientation question

Thanks for offering and the concern for my poor Cobra😉
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9220839.jpg (89.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #189
glennpm

Nice, I love it!!

Best gaskets are the ones to use. They sell just a oil pan and front and rear seal kit. I bought a set a few years ago. No need to know the bore unless you're pulling the heads.

Glenn
Old 02-23-2020, 09:15 PM   #190
davids2toys

Thumbs up Re: 36 Ford drag link orientation question

Glad you like it!
Good to know about the gaskets. I would like to get a complete set, especially if I am going to clean the underside of the intake as I have read would be a smart idea