Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2019, 08:47 AM   #1
History

Default Light Wiring Harness Problems

I ordered this harness from Snyders, https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...model-a/wiring It is exactly the same length as the old ratty one I removed. I am installing this on a 1930 sport coupe. I have four problems while trying to install this harness.

As I mentioned in someone else's thread (I shouldn't have), someone has replaced the light bulb socket in my headlamps with newer sockets. The newer sockets accept the exposed wire only and then a screw is tightened to hold that wire in place. I guess I will just cut the male plugs off the end on the wire and use them like that for the headlamps. I can always replace these if need be by soldering then back on.

Next is the light switch,,, it fit well but is hard to turn on in either direction. It turns off smoothly and goes from dim headlights to bright headlights smoothly. It is only from the off position to an on position that it is difficult to turn. Any ideas on what the problem is??? Is there something I can adjust by grinding or smoothing something?.?

Next is the bail that holds the light switch on,,,,. It keeps coming loose and letting the switch fall off. I watch the entire switch try to turn when I operate the light switch and this is part of the problem as it wiggles the switch back and forth until it falls off. I plan on adjusting the bail itself as it looks deformed on one side a little.

Next is the length of the harness,,, I do not have enough length to make it to the tail light and I'm sure I've ran the straightest path. I noticed the old harness was spliced going to the tail light but I thought it was just a patch job. Did I order the wrong harness or is there a junction there I didn't know about???

I know there's a lot to look at and I'm not the greatest at typing out things, hopefully I explained it well enough that you know what speaking of. I appreciate any help or replies.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Light Wiring Harness Problems

Do you have the correct pig tail for the tail light, the wires are about 21" long.
https://modelastore.com/electrical/t...roduct_id=4372

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
History

No sir, I thought it was one run of wire. Looks like I need this. Thank you
Old 10-22-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
redmodelt

If you two tail lights you will need the cross over and connectors, 2 connectors for just the single and 6 for the two lights.

There were at least two different bails for the Model A switch housings, long and short along with different ones from the V8 era. Sounds like you have the short housing and long bail. You could try bending the bail to make tighter. Other option might be to put and ad in the classifieds an try and find shorter one or get a new housing from the suppliers. Also make sure the housing is correctly seated, it shouldn't be twisting that much to come loose.

Did you replace the horn rod? They do come in different lengths. Is the bushing at the top end, that fits in the steering column tube on the horn rod? You could have a bent horn rod and is rubbing.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:09 AM   #5
History

I adjusted the wire holding the switch in place and it works much better now. It was longer on one side. The switch doesn't seem to move as much now and actually turns a little easier to an on position. Still very smooth going to off position from either side.

I didn't change anything with the horn rod with the exception of the end plate where it exits the steering box. I replaced the end plate with a tube end plate because of a leak there. I did have to remove a washer above/behind the end plate so the tube would insert into the steering box. Now when I remove the switch the horn blows if the switch touches the spider as I take it off, it didn't do that before.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:41 AM   #6
Badpuppy

Disconnect the battery when working on the lighting switch. There's a hot wire in it going through the ammeter to the battery at all times. Makes your horn blow when you touch the center contact to ground. Throws sparks if you touch the brake contact to ground.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #7
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
Disconnect the battery when working on the lighting switch. There's a hot wire in it going through the ammeter to the battery at all times. Makes your horn blow when you touch the center contact to ground. Throws sparks if you touch the brake contact to ground.
Roger that! Thanks !!!!!