Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2019, 08:21 PM   #1
DannL

Default Covered water pump....

The water pump on my car appears to be a little different than others. Just curious on this particular one if I started pumping grease into it, what should I expect. Ha. Is there a particular supplier for this type of water pump? Did it come off another car? Or a tractor?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190925_201217-1.jpg (65.4 KB, 49 views)
DannL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:30 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Covered water pump....

Aftermarket for Model A. Unknown who the manufacturer is/was. I have two and each is a little different. Almost any examination of "Model A Water Pump" on ebay will reveal at least one of these for sale at prices varying from $20 to $100.

If you pull the cover off with the four slotted screws, you'll find the shaft passing through a gob of grease - which is apparently the majority device designed to keep water where water goes and air where air goes. The zerk connects to this inner chamber and if you add grease theoretically in time it will ooze out from under the cover.

Nice in that they don't spray water drops on your windshield like the leather covers prevent. Bad in that there is no stream of replacement parts to draw upon if there are issues. Rebuilding will likely involve tapping into the current line of Ford related parts and "adapting" to make it work.

Joe K
Old 09-25-2019, 09:04 PM   #3
DannL

Default Re: Covered water pump....

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
Aftermarket for Model A. Unknown who the manufacturer is/was. I have two and each is a little different. Almost any examination of "Model A Water Pump" on ebay will reveal at least one of these for sale at prices varying from $20 to $100.

If you pull the cover off with the four slotted screws, you'll find the shaft passing through a gob of grease - which is apparently the majority device designed to keep water where water goes and air where air goes. The zerk connects to this inner chamber and if you add grease theoretically in time it will ooze out from under the cover.

Nice in that they don't spray water drops on your windshield like the leather covers prevent. Bad in that there is no stream of replacement parts to draw upon if there are issues. Rebuilding will likely involve tapping into the current line of Ford related parts and "adapting" to make it work.

Joe K

Many thanks for the info . . . Joe. I may at a future point resort back to what would have been considered factory at the time. Meanwhile this one is not leaking, so I will open her up an inspect that reservoir. If it's like everything else I've inspected on this honey . . . it's probably full of air. ;-(
DannL is offline   Reply With Quote